Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill  (Read 186338 times)

b100d_arrowz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill
« Reply #960 on: April 07, 2011, 01:12:10 AM »
Question 323

Is there a way of building a effigy of a larger (or larger) creature to act as a tank (as in military, armored tank)? Are there any rules for riding inside one or hallowing it out?
I don't believe there are explicit rules for it, but I would assume that if you created a creature that had the swallow whole ability there would be room inside its chest cavity for you to relax in. Also, a simpler way of doing this would be to jump inside a bag of holding that is located somewhere inside the beast, that way you could have a small mobile construct that could perhaps go unnoticed.

Meld with stone would be another possibility, although it leaves you unable to do anything other then go along for the ride. PaO yourself into something and go along for the ride as well.
I'm delirious from lack of sleep, but am sustained by the power of the Gatling Gun!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Ras F

« Reply #961 on: April 07, 2011, 01:18:20 AM »
Question 323

Is there a way of building a effigy of a larger (or larger) creature to act as a tank (as in military, armored tank)? Are there any rules for riding inside one or hallowing it out?
I don't believe there are explicit rules for it, but I would assume that if you created a creature that had the swallow whole ability there would be room inside its chest cavity for you to relax in. Also, a simpler way of doing this would be to jump inside a bag of holding that is located somewhere inside the beast, that way you could have a small mobile construct that could perhaps go unnoticed.

Meld with stone would be another possibility, although it leaves you unable to do anything other then go along for the ride. PaO yourself into something and go along for the ride as well.

Clocking in at 7hd, there's always That Damn Crab, and you can probably cludge together some method of giving it a compartment via MMIII's Siege Crab's "Shielded Compartment" Ex ability.
Life gives you lemons? Then you better fucking learn Citromancy.

rot42

« Reply #962 on: April 07, 2011, 01:24:40 AM »
Question 323

Is there a way of building a effigy of a large (or larger) creature to act as a tank (as in military, armored tank)? Are there any rules for riding inside one or hallowing it out?

You could try an Apparatus of Kwalish (Dungeon Master's Guide 247), possibly with Animate Objects cast on it. I believe the Monster Manual and Cityscape have material on statting out animated objects.

Selfish bump: question 307 at the bottom of page 46 could use some love if anybody happens to know about how Alter Self interacts with grafts.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #963 on: April 07, 2011, 01:29:34 AM »
Question 323

Hmm... I was hoping for something more 'practical' looking. I'm attempting to build a really cheap, low-powered magicteck army reminiscent of the Orks from Warhammer 40K.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #964 on: April 07, 2011, 01:36:33 AM »
Question 324

Follow up question as I have been banging my head against the wall. Could someone break down exactly how one multiplies the various price reducers when crafting magical items? I understand that for example with Extraordinary Artisan you are cutting the price by 25% and by placing a skill requirement you are cutting the price by 10%, but when bringing this two together I'm reaching a lot of confusion.

Ras F

« Reply #965 on: April 07, 2011, 01:39:14 AM »
Q307: When using Alter Self, do the bonuses from grafts carry over to the new form? Specifically, Stony Plating (Magic of Eberron, 133), which effectively gives a character permanent non-magical natural armor by implanting rocks in their chest.

Selfish bump: question 307 at the bottom of page 46 could use some love if anybody happens to know about how Alter Self interacts with grafts.

A307
: As per the following text taken from the spell-
"You acquire the physical qualities of the new form while retaining your own mind. Physical qualities include natural size, mundane movement capabilities (such as burrowing, climbing, walking, swimming, and flight with wings, to a maximum speed of 120 feet for flying or 60 feet for nonflying movement), natural armor bonus, natural weapons(such as claws, bite, and so on), racial skill bonuses, racial bonus feats, and any gross physical qualities (presence or absence of wings, number of extremities, and so forth). A body with extra limbs does not allow you to make more attacks (or more advantageous two-weapon attacks) than normal."

Seeing as how your body is 'replaced' with a standard form of the new body, the graft is inert until you revert back to your original form, unless you somehow had the opperation done while you were alter-self'd. If that's the case, that graft may potentially go away if/when you revert to normal, though you'll still have lost 4hp permanently.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:56:55 AM by Ras F »

Ras F

« Reply #966 on: April 07, 2011, 01:56:27 AM »
Question 324

Follow up question as I have been banging my head against the wall. Could someone break down exactly how one multiplies the various price reducers when crafting magical items? I understand that for example with Extraordinary Artisan you are cutting the price by 25% and by placing a skill requirement you are cutting the price by 10%, but when bringing this two together I'm reaching a lot of confusion.
A324:
Total*(1.00-0.%%)= new Total

Say you have a piece of "Exampular Phlebotinum" worth 4000gp. If you have the right feat to craft it yourself, and choose to do so, multiply 4000gp by 0.50(1.00-0.50=0.50). This gives you 2000gp. If you have Extraordinary Artisan, multiply 2000 by 0.75(1.00-0.25=0.75). This gives you 1500. If you tack on a skill requirement: Perform (Ass Pull), multiply by a further 0.90(1.00-0.10=0.90) for a new crafting requirement of 1350gp. You have to apply each price modifier one at a time, you can't lump them all together in a single go.

At least, that's how I understand it. (Yeah, I know I have a lot of unnecessary decimal places in this post, I included them for complete clarity.)

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #967 on: April 07, 2011, 07:04:29 AM »
Q320:
Aside from Bloodstorm Blade 4, is there another way to get a thrown weapon to return immediately, so that you can make a full attack with a single thrown weapon?
A320: Best I can think of is Soulknife 17, and that's just with the mind blade.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #968 on: April 07, 2011, 08:12:25 AM »
Question 324

A324:

Say you have a piece of "Exampular Phlebotinum" worth 4000gp. If you have the right feat to craft it yourself, and choose to do so, multiply 4000gp by 0.50(1.00-0.50=0.50). This gives you 2000gp. If you have Extraordinary Artisan, multiply 2000 by 0.75(1.00-0.25=0.75). This gives you 1500. If you tack on a skill requirement: Perform (Ass Pull), multiply by a further 0.90(1.00-0.10=0.90) for a new crafting requirement of 1350gp. You have to apply each price modifier one at a time, you can't lump them all together in a single go.

At least, that's how I understand it. (Yeah, I know I have a lot of unnecessary decimal places in this post, I included them for complete clarity.)
I'd also look at the complete magic item crafting handbook in the handbook section.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #969 on: April 07, 2011, 08:49:59 AM »
Question 324

A324:

I'd also look at the complete magic item crafting handbook in the handbook section.
Note that the stronghold builder's guidebook price reducers are all percentages that you sum up - this is different than normal.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #970 on: April 08, 2011, 12:35:45 AM »
Q325

For my sanity I wish to make certain this is correct.  I am putting the Warning Enchantment on my armor spikes.  The total cost of it should be 4,300 ish?

Ras F

« Reply #971 on: April 08, 2011, 01:21:13 AM »
Q325

For my sanity I wish to make certain this is correct.  I am putting the Warning Enchantment on my armor spikes.  The total cost of it should be 4,300 ish?

A325:
Stock +1 Armor Spikes of Warning cost 8350gp at full market price.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #972 on: April 08, 2011, 01:47:43 AM »
8k!  How in the world do they cost 8k?

Ras F

« Reply #973 on: April 08, 2011, 01:51:59 AM »
They're the equivalent of a +2 masterwork weapon with a base price of 50g.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #974 on: April 08, 2011, 01:58:51 AM »
Q 326:  What is a good CR 15ish Golem?  Preferably not traditional, preferably fast, preferably with a ranged option (although I can add one with little fuss).  

Q 327:  Where are web golems from?  What are they?  What CR are they?

Q 328: What is a good resource for mech suits?  I'm thinking alien 2 mech suits, except DnD, not Gundam style mechsuits.  So Large or Huge, human-controlled, realisticish.

Q 329: Is there a list or resource for steamtechish technology grafts under 3.5 rules?  Specifically a list, not a way to build them or whatever.  I can already ad-lib some myself even provide decent rules, but a list of premades would be nice as a timesaver.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #975 on: April 08, 2011, 02:02:41 AM »
Q 326:  What is a good CR 15ish Golem?  Preferably not traditional, preferably fast, preferably with a ranged option (although I can add one with little fuss).  

A 326: You'd have to advance it a bit, but change a regular Stone Golem into a Tombstone Golem (Libris Mortis p105)

A 327: Web golems are from MMIII. They're normally CR 7.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #976 on: April 08, 2011, 02:23:10 AM »

A 326: You'd have to advance it a bit, but change a regular Stone Golem into a Tombstone Golem (Libris Mortis p105)

Ranged options are easy, by the way.  Rock Hurling from Races of Stone can be added as a feat to any golem enhanced with the Rudimentary Intelligence enhancement from Dragon Magazine (I do not, however, remember which issue it's in).

Slz the Resolute

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #977 on: April 08, 2011, 02:27:05 AM »
Q 330:How many levels or XP would a LA+4 need to get to LA+0, using UA's rules?

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #978 on: April 08, 2011, 02:43:11 AM »
Q331
What was that thread about refluffing psionics to be magic? I have a friend who doesn't like the psionics fluff, and while I could probably make a good argument about the mutability by showing him that bard-"inspired" divine caster, I feel it would be superior to show him the exact thing fixed that he complains of.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #979 on: April 08, 2011, 02:43:41 AM »

Ranged options are easy, by the way.  Rock Hurling from Races of Stone can be added as a feat to any golem enhanced with the Rudimentary Intelligence enhancement from Dragon Magazine (I do not, however, remember which issue it's in).
Dragon 327.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.