Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill  (Read 186345 times)

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill
« Reply #840 on: April 02, 2011, 08:53:14 AM »
Either Able Learner (probably a bad idea, since it's a feat), a lvl of Human Paragon (a less worse idea) or check your domain selection, IIRC. (Best bet.)
Not a human so the first two are out, but the domain Trickery gives you Hide as a class skill. Too bad the spells aren't that great.

Think of Domains as very nice icing on the cake of Cleric, not the cake itself.
Yeah, but I'm of those guys who likes to have their cake, and eat it too. No one eats just the icing.

If you're actually complaining about Cleric, I'm done talking to you. :p

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #841 on: April 02, 2011, 01:09:57 PM »
Alternatively, take Martial Study with any Shadow Hand manuver.  That nets you Hide as a class skill for all classes.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #842 on: April 02, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »
Either Able Learner (probably a bad idea, since it's a feat), a lvl of Human Paragon (a less worse idea) or check your domain selection, IIRC. (Best bet.)
Not a human so the first two are out, but the domain Trickery gives you Hide as a class skill. Too bad the spells aren't that great.

Think of Domains as very nice icing on the cake of Cleric, not the cake itself.
Yeah, but I'm of those guys who likes to have their cake, and eat it too. No one eats just the icing.

If you're actually complaining about Cleric, I'm done talking to you. :p
Not complaining about clerics. Just that one domain.

Q 287 RAW, can you substitute your natural attacks for unarmed strike for the martial disciplines?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 03:58:53 PM by kevin_video »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #843 on: April 02, 2011, 04:30:01 PM »
Q288
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #844 on: April 02, 2011, 04:33:05 PM »
Q288 Is there any feasible way to boost an arcane spellcaster’s CL to 5 by level 2?
A 288

For all spells, it's hard (maybe impossible, but Kell probably knows a way). For a subset of spells, it can be done. For instance, the Evoker 2 (don't ask) I'm playing right now has the Fiery Burst reserve feat, so he casts fire spells at CL 3, and with Gloves of the Arcanist he can cast a 1st-level spell at +2 CL twice per day. That's a CL 5, say, Kelgore's Fire Bolt. For other ways, it would be necessary to know exactly what spell(s) you're looking at.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #845 on: April 02, 2011, 04:34:36 PM »
Mindbender is the target.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

b100d_arrowz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #846 on: April 02, 2011, 05:03:09 PM »
Q288

Reserve feats, be a sorcerer, take the dragon heritage feats (the first gets you a +1 CL, and I think there's another for it as well.) A trait from UA gives you +1 CL for one school but -1 for all others
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 05:35:49 PM by b100d_arrowz »
I'm delirious from lack of sleep, but am sustained by the power of the Gatling Gun!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #847 on: April 02, 2011, 05:05:36 PM »
A trait from UA gives you +1 CL for one school but +1 for all others
You mean +1 to one, and -1 to others, right?

b100d_arrowz

• Email
« Reply #848 on: April 02, 2011, 05:35:26 PM »
Q 287 RAW, can you substitute your natural attacks for unarmed strike for the martial disciplines?

Thematically it would make sense if you could do so with the Tiger Claw maneuver's, but lets see what the RAW say.

By PHB an unarmed attack is:
unarmed attack: A melee attack made with no weapon in hand.
Also by PHB:
By MM:
Natural Weapons:Natural weapons are weapons that are physically a part of a creature.
It would seem then that you could substitute your natural weapons for unarmed strike in individual cases, but not as a part of a full attack, for:
Creatures do not receive additional attacks from a high base attack bonus when using natural weapons
I'm delirious from lack of sleep, but am sustained by the power of the Gatling Gun!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #849 on: April 02, 2011, 06:10:51 PM »
It would seem then that you could substitute your natural weapons for unarmed strike in individual cases, but not as a part of a full attack
I'm okay with that. Thanks.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #850 on: April 02, 2011, 07:14:06 PM »
Q288

Primordial Half-giant Sorcerer with Reserves of Strength and Elder giant magic.  That's ECL 2 with the ability to cast all your spells at CL 7.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Aliek

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #851 on: April 02, 2011, 11:11:26 PM »
Q289: How is the HP gain from leveling up measured if you're undead(Let's say, a necropolican), as you have no CON score if you're leveling up in a class?

AleksanderTheGreat

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #852 on: April 02, 2011, 11:33:44 PM »
Q289: How is the HP gain from leveling up measured if you're undead(Let's say, a necropolican), as you have no CON score if you're leveling up in a class?
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#nonabilities
Quote from: SRD
Nonabilities
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

b100d_arrowz

• Email
« Reply #853 on: April 02, 2011, 11:43:20 PM »

I know if you change to a pokemon like a lich or skelly all your hit die are converted to d12
Hit Dice: Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d12s.
As per MM

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #854 on: April 03, 2011, 02:13:57 AM »
Q 279:  Is there any way to 5' step instead of attacking, or get more 5' steps during a full-attack than supreme cleave gives you?  Idea is to infinite cleave as long as you have targets.  Already got Sweeping Strike and Knockback + Domino Rush to grab extra attacks to be used for moving.

Bump.

Still looking for a way to get 5' steps in between attacks/cleaves in a full attack cleave combo.

Either that or a way to force people to give me AoOs during my full attack so I can use opportunistic tactician + shifting defense + sidestep + evasive reflexes to move up to 30' with each AoO.  Willing to spend attacks to provoke AoOs as I should be multicleaving for a surplus of attacks.

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #855 on: April 03, 2011, 02:30:24 AM »
Q 279:  Is there any way to 5' step instead of attacking, or get more 5' steps during a full-attack than supreme cleave gives you?  Idea is to infinite cleave as long as you have targets.  Already got Sweeping Strike and Knockback + Domino Rush to grab extra attacks to be used for moving.

Bump.

Still looking for a way to get 5' steps in between attacks/cleaves in a full attack cleave combo.

Either that or a way to force people to give me AoOs during my full attack so I can use opportunistic tactician + shifting defense + sidestep + evasive reflexes to move up to 30' with each AoO.  Willing to spend attacks to provoke AoOs as I should be multicleaving for a surplus of attacks.
Robilar's Gambit? ???

Q:
"Benefit: At the start of your action, you can adopt a fighting stance that exposes you to harm but allows you to take advantage of your opponents' exposed defenses as they reach in to attack you. Anyone who strikes at you gains a +4 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls against you. In return, they provoke attacks of opportunity from you each time they swing. Resolve your attack of opportunity after your foe's attack."
Means that I have to attack after each attack that provoked AoO, and not that I can make the provoked attacks after the enemy resolves all of his attacks, right?
Enemy attacks, I make my AoO, then enemy makes his 2nd attack, then I make my AoO, etc.?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 02:35:54 AM by AleksanderTheGreat »
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #856 on: April 03, 2011, 03:31:21 AM »
Q 279:  Is there any way to 5' step instead of attacking, or get more 5' steps during a full-attack than supreme cleave gives you?  Idea is to infinite cleave as long as you have targets.  Already got Sweeping Strike and Knockback + Domino Rush to grab extra attacks to be used for moving.

Bump.

Frenzied Beserker does this for Cleave.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

b100d_arrowz

• Email
« Reply #857 on: April 03, 2011, 03:35:30 AM »
Means that I have to attack after each attack that provoked AoO, and not that I can make the provoked attacks after the enemy resolves all of his attacks, right?
Enemy attacks, I make my AoO, then enemy makes his 2nd attack, then I make my AoO, etc.?
Yes, you make your AoO, or AoO equivalent action (such as making a 5' step with that feat) after every individual attack.

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #858 on: April 03, 2011, 03:37:30 AM »

Bump.

Frenzied Beserker does this for Cleave.
I have a feeling that he knows that.

b100d_arrowz

• Email
« Reply #859 on: April 03, 2011, 04:12:19 AM »
Q 290 Is there anyway to increase your hit die for the purposes of what you can wildshape into?