Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill  (Read 186319 times)

Esgath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill
« Reply #780 on: March 31, 2011, 05:14:53 AM »
Q 266: When I am large, and have a longspear I would threaten the field 20' and 15' away, correct? But if I just use that reach for AoO's and if somebody came into my natural reach, could I just use my unarmed strikes for my normal attacks without any penaltys? And vice versa?

ILM

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #781 on: March 31, 2011, 05:54:49 AM »
Question 264

When combining the Paragon template with the Dragonfire Adept's invocation Draconic Flight a confusion struck me. It states that the character is gifted a fly speed equal to their land speed. But the Paragon template improved all movement by multiplying them by three. So wanted to make sure which one of these was fair within the rules.

Examples will use a 30 ft. base land speed.

1. Draconic Flight grants a character a fly speed equal to their land speed, so 30ft. The Paragon template then triples this to 90ft.

2. The Paragon template triples the character's land speed from 30ft. to 90ft. Draconic Flight grants a character a fly speed equal to their land speed, so 90ft. The Paragon template then triples this to 270 ft.

So which is it? 
I'd definitely go with the first. In the second you're basically multiplying twice.

A266: I don't see why not, provided you have some monk levels or something. Otherwise since the longspear is a 2H weapon you'd have to drop it to do unarmed strikes (unless you have more than 2 arms) and then you'd have to pick it up next turn, using a move action and drawing an AoO.

Q267: Really quick one. For a shadowcraft mage, should I get a +1 to my illusions' DC, or +20% reality? Currently at DC=28+spell level (extra +2 with Mystic Surge), and 120% reality for level 9 spells, i.e. just the +20% from Shadowcraft Mage 5.

ZeroKnight

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #782 on: March 31, 2011, 06:01:48 AM »
Q 266: When I am large, and have a longspear I would threaten the field 20' and 15' away, correct? But if I just use that reach for AoO's and if somebody came into my natural reach, could I just use my unarmed strikes for my normal attacks without any penaltys? And vice versa?

A 266: Correct, You dont threaten with your natural reach unless you Improved Unarmed Strike, or a natural attack that doesnt use your hands (like claws or slam)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #783 on: March 31, 2011, 06:34:09 AM »

A 266: Correct, You dont threaten with your natural reach unless you Improved Unarmed Strike, or a natural attack that doesnt use your hands (like claws or slam)
Slams don't necessarily use your hands, so depending on how you got it and how generous your DM is, they might work.

Esgath

« Reply #784 on: March 31, 2011, 07:01:46 AM »
Yeah, I have monk levels, so then I would threaten all fields.

bananaphone

• ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #785 on: March 31, 2011, 07:05:10 AM »
Q 268
Is there any actual rules printed on how telepathy works?
Is it one-on-one communication?  Can I broadcast my thought to a whole crowd of people?(A telepathic shout or speech if you will)

Edit:  
Ah.  I found the answer in the Monster Manual (I was looking in the DMG and RC)  According to it, I can telepathically communicate to several people if I wanted to, and has the same difficulty as speaking to several people .
Follow-up question 268a:
As a Bard, can I use my perform(sing) through telepathy to Inspire Courage on my party members? (I am quite sure that the voice in my head sings in perfect pitch!   :lol )
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 07:28:21 AM by bananaphone »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #786 on: March 31, 2011, 07:13:22 AM »
Q 268
Is there any actual rules printed on how telepathy works?
Is it one-on-one communication?  Can I broadcast my thought to a whole crowd of people?(A telepathic shout or speech if you will)
I assume speaking with telepathy is the same as speaking, which means it'd be a free action, which means that even if it was one-on-one you could send a message to everyone within range as a number of free actions, anyway.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #787 on: March 31, 2011, 07:42:02 AM »
Q269:  Are there any ways to move as part of a full attack?  Spells, class abilities, racial abilities, feats?  Specifically thinking of 'that cleave that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends...'

ILM

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #788 on: March 31, 2011, 07:52:54 AM »
Q269:  Are there any ways to move as part of a full attack?  Spells, class abilities, racial abilities, feats?  Specifically thinking of 'that cleave that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends...'
Dervish Dance (Dervish PrC, CW) springs to mind, but it's a per day thing.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #789 on: March 31, 2011, 12:14:57 PM »
Q269:  Are there any ways to move as part of a full attack?  Spells, class abilities, racial abilities, feats?  Specifically thinking of 'that cleave that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends...'
Well, Frenzied Beserker lets you move between cleave attempts...
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

b100d_arrowz

• Email
« Reply #790 on: March 31, 2011, 02:18:14 PM »
Q: I'm making a ranger whose sole purpose in life is sundering. Are their any prestige classes that let me sunder everything the BBEG owns, from his jewel encrusted scepter to his Pokemon boxers?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 03:30:55 PM by b100d_arrowz »
I'm delirious from lack of sleep, but am sustained by the power of the Gatling Gun!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #791 on: March 31, 2011, 02:21:44 PM »
Q2171:  What is the cost of the half-weight armor enhancement?
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #792 on: March 31, 2011, 02:33:52 PM »
Q: I'm making a ranger whose sole purpose in life is sundering. Are their any prestige classes that let me sunder everything the BBEG owns, from his jewel encrusted scepter to his Pokemon boxers?
If you're a ranger, take the Strong-Arm combat style (DR 326). You get Power Attack, Improved Sunder, and Great Cleave. You're going to want to take the Combat Brute feat as well for the Sundering Cleave ability. I'm positive there is a class ability somewhere, or maybe it was a feat, that let you basically pull off being Zorro, where you could initial your name in wood, and make certain articles of clothing fall off. My mind's drawing a blank right now though.

It's in Underdark, and is a +3 enhancement. It'd be cheaper to make it out of mithral, or take Armored Savant from the Dragon Magazine (costs you a 1st level Fighter feat).
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #793 on: March 31, 2011, 03:07:30 PM »
Yeah, I have monk levels, so then I would threaten all fields.

Or armor spikes, if you dont want to waste class levels. Also I thought you could hold a 2h weapon in one hand, you just have to use two hands to attack. If so you can get gauntlets.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #794 on: March 31, 2011, 03:13:31 PM »
It's in Underdark, and is a +3 enhancement. It'd be cheaper to make it out of mithral, or take Armored Savant from the Dragon Magazine (costs you a 1st level Fighter feat).
I'm getting "free" +2 adamantine full plate, but need to lighten it up so it still works with the innate greater teleport ability with a max capacity of 50 lbs. of stuff.  Sadly I don't think I'm going to be able to get it to work out.

dantheman

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #795 on: March 31, 2011, 06:22:29 PM »
Q272: Is there any reason Psionic Shot could not be used with entangling ectoplasm?

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #796 on: March 31, 2011, 06:26:09 PM »
Q 2172: Is there any way of getting the spell like ability of a form assumed by Shapechange?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

b100d_arrowz

• Email
« Reply #797 on: March 31, 2011, 06:45:56 PM »
Q 2172: Is there any way of getting the spell like ability of a form assumed by Shapechange?

Depending on how your DM rules it the assume supernatural ability feat lets you make use of one supernatural ability (per times you have taken the feat) of a form you have assumed. However with shapechange you already get the supernatural abilities, as well as the extraordinary of the form you are assuming, so it would depend on if the DM rules the SLA as supernatural, extraordinary, or something else. I know there was a discussion on this in a Master of Many Forms and in multiple threads on polymorphing
I'm delirious from lack of sleep, but am sustained by the power of the Gatling Gun!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #798 on: March 31, 2011, 08:28:41 PM »
I'm getting "free" +2 adamantine full plate, but need to lighten it up so it still works with the innate greater teleport ability with a max capacity of 50 lbs. of stuff.  Sadly I don't think I'm going to be able to get it to work out.
It's too bad you weren't a kensai PrC, or had the Ancestral Relic feat. That way you could basically "trade in" that +2 adamantine full plate at full price for the equivalent cost of something else.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #799 on: March 31, 2011, 08:49:16 PM »
Ooh, good thinking on the Ancestral Relic feat.  I might actually be able to squeeze that in.  Thanks!