Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill  (Read 186336 times)

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill
« Reply #680 on: March 23, 2011, 11:39:46 PM »
And up through the high 300's for the last of the 3.5's IIRC?
360 introduces 4E but in 360-362 you can still find a couple 3.5 things mixed in. The final year of Dragon Mag before 4E is probably some of the best. That and the year that introduced 3.5.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #681 on: March 24, 2011, 01:30:54 AM »
231:  Ith mentioned something about a 'Menacing Brute' or 'Brute' Template homebrewed here at BG - anyone have any idea what it is/where it is?  It's for a little girl melee monster.  I am determined to have at least half the PCs in the party as my pets.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #682 on: March 24, 2011, 01:59:01 AM »
I linked it already over on Myth-Weavers, though you've likely seen it by now.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #683 on: March 24, 2011, 01:59:39 AM »
I hadn't, actually.

I'm cool like that./

Ithamar

• Hong Kong

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #685 on: March 24, 2011, 03:02:27 AM »
Q 231 I know that liches have it, but do dracoliches have turn resistance +4? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the Draconomicon.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #686 on: March 24, 2011, 08:01:11 AM »
Q229:For anyone with more gestalt knowledge than me, what class is a good choice for gestalting with a Cloistered Cleric? (I realize that Cleric/Anything will be good. I want to know what works well with Cleric to take advantages of gestalt.)

My advice would be druid Wildshape + Cleric buffs (which you can share with your animal companion) = Awesomesauce
Druid is the fallback and probably the most powerful option. Swordsage gives Wis Synergy and maneuvers (as well as pretty much everything the Monk has to offer, including all good saves). Crusader gives Cha synergy and a buff to your chassis across the board. It also makes Cloistered Cleric a "something for nothing" trade even more so than it already was, and gives full BAB if you don't want to Persist Divine Power (perhaps it makes you feel cheesy, or Persist is banned, or you just want to Persist something else).
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

ILM

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #687 on: March 24, 2011, 12:04:27 PM »
232: Hey all! Is there any way for a mage to improve a spell that has duration: 10 min/CL to 1 hour/CL? Preferably one not involving specific PrCs or feats - I'm thinking items or other spells maybe?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:43:40 PM by ILM »

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #688 on: March 24, 2011, 02:02:23 PM »
Q229:For anyone with more gestalt knowledge than me, what class is a good choice for gestalting with a Cloistered Cleric? (I realize that Cleric/Anything will be good. I want to know what works well with Cleric to take advantages of gestalt.)
Druid is the fallback and probably the most powerful option. Swordsage gives Wis Synergy and maneuvers (as well as pretty much everything the Monk has to offer, including all good saves). Crusader gives Cha synergy and a buff to your chassis across the board. It also makes Cloistered Cleric a "something for nothing" trade even more so than it already was, and gives full BAB if you don't want to Persist Divine Power (perhaps it makes you feel cheesy, or Persist is banned, or you just want to Persist something else).

Cleric || Crusader then into Ordained Champion (mostly on the Crusader side) and you'll be fantastic at tanking.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #689 on: March 24, 2011, 02:12:18 PM »

Cleric || Crusader then into Ordained Champion (mostly on the Crusader side) and you'll be fantastic at tanking.
You'll also have a hilariously high Will save.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #690 on: March 24, 2011, 06:33:29 PM »
232: Hey all! Is there any way for a mage to improve a spell that has duration: 10 min/CL to 1 hour/CL? Preferably one not involving specific PrCs or feats - I'm thinking items or other spells maybe?
Your best bet is probably a metamagic rod of extend. 
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #691 on: March 24, 2011, 06:38:29 PM »
Your best bet is probably a metamagic rod of extend. 
Yeah, CL boosters + Extend Rod.  I'm using this in a campaign to cast buffs with a base duration of 10 min/CL that last 6 hours 20 minutes as a level 10 Cleric.  If I worked at it, I could probably come up with the extra 5 CL needed to get the duration up to 8 hours.

ILM

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #692 on: March 24, 2011, 08:54:34 PM »
Hmm, could have sworn I remembered something that bumped up durations by an order of magnitude... But I've been out of the CO game for about 5 years so my brain might just be messing with me. Okay, thanks! :)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #693 on: March 24, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
Hmm, could have sworn I remembered something that bumped up durations by an order of magnitude... But I've been out of the CO game for about 5 years so my brain might just be messing with me. Okay, thanks! :)
Well, there IS always Persistent Spell.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #694 on: March 24, 2011, 10:52:38 PM »
Q 233 If you've got a weapon and a bite attack, and don't want the -5 penalty, should you be using the Multiattack feat? Or would a different monster feat be better?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #695 on: March 24, 2011, 10:59:11 PM »
Q 233 If you've got a weapon and a bite attack, and don't want the -5 penalty, should you be using the Multiattack feat? Or would a different monster feat be better?

A233: You need 3 or more natural weapons to qualify for the Multiattack feat, so you won't be able to get it.

Really, Law Devotion or Knowledge Devotion would be better choices for that (unless you can get 3 natural weapons easily).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #696 on: March 24, 2011, 11:00:51 PM »

A233: You need 3 or more natural weapons to qualify for the Multiattack feat, so you won't be able to get it.

Really, Law Devotion or Knowledge Devotion would be better choices for that (unless you can get 3 natural weapons easily).
Normally it has two claw attacks with the bite, but they do 1d4 each, and a greatsword does way more, plus it's 1.5x with two hands.

So I can take the feat. I just want to know if it'll give me the -2 for using a sword instead of the two claws.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #697 on: March 25, 2011, 12:13:10 AM »
Q 234 Anyone notice this on the Death Giant in MM3? Under the Guardian Souls it says "These spirits provide the death giant with warnings and protection, granting the creature a bonus on initiative rolls, saves, Listen checks, and Spot checks equal to its Charisma modifier."
It has DEX 13 (+1) and CHA 24 (+7). That means +8 to its initiative, right? Just as it stats on page 54 right under its HD. So, can someone explain to me why the Errata says that the initiative is wrong, and should actually be +1, with no CHA added to it?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #698 on: March 25, 2011, 12:50:45 AM »
I think there are a few third party feats that do that.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Archao

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #699 on: March 25, 2011, 01:00:57 AM »
I think there are a few third party feats that do that.
Lasting Spell, from Mongoose Publishing's Ultimate Feats, p152. Each increase of the spell's level increases the unit of measurement by one step, from rounds up to centuries. Requires Extend Spell and 3rd level or higher arcane spells.

Easily broken, but is third party and 3.0 material.