Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill  (Read 186558 times)

AleksanderTheGreat

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Dumbass. o_o
Re: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill
« Reply #560 on: March 18, 2011, 06:37:10 PM »
Q: Does a 15th level Warblade do double damage from Int if he hits the opponent with an AoO while flanking him?
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #561 on: March 18, 2011, 07:18:53 PM »
Q: Does a 15th level Warblade do double damage from Int if he hits the opponent with an AoO while flanking him?

No. The bonuses granted by both abilities (Battle Cunning and Battle Mastery) are insight bonuses, which don't stack.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #562 on: March 19, 2011, 03:47:11 AM »
Q 186: The mounted combat feat states:
Quote from: SRD
becomes the regular AC.)
Does this feat work when the mount is struck by a touch attack effect (Eldritch Blast, for example)?  It notes "regular AC," though I imagine this was just short-sightedness on the part of the game writers.
Bump?
I'd say no, as the text clearly states the ride check is the mounts new Regular AC, touch AC doesn't change.
It could also be argued that a touch attack targets the creature's normal touch AC.
It's never stated that the increase to the mounts AC has any sort of type or duration, for a single attack it's AC, (Not touch or flat footed AC) is changed to the result of a ride check.
[/quote]
It's not an actual change to the mount's AC.  It's much better than that.

For example, if they rolled a natural 20, you still avoid the hit provided your ride check beats their attack roll.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #563 on: March 19, 2011, 08:01:09 AM »
becomes the regular AC.)
Does this feat work when the mount is struck by a touch attack effect (Eldritch Blast, for example)?  It notes "regular AC," though I imagine this was just short-sightedness on the part of the game writers.
Bump?
I'd say no, as the text clearly states the ride check is the mounts new Regular AC, touch AC doesn't change.
It could also be argued that a touch attack targets the creature's normal touch AC.
It's never stated that the increase to the mounts AC has any sort of type or duration, for a single attack it's AC, (Not touch or flat footed AC) is changed to the result of a ride check.

For example, if they rolled a natural 20, you still avoid the hit provided your ride check beats their attack roll.
[/quote]
Yes, Attack roll, not touch attack, spell resistance or reflex save, only on straight up attack rolls.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #564 on: March 19, 2011, 08:02:30 AM »
Yes, Attack roll, not touch attack, spell resistance or reflex save, only on straight up attack rolls.
[/quote]
Touch attacks, ranged touch attacks, and melee attacks are all covered, since they all use attack rolls.
Planetouched Handbook

Esgath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #565 on: March 19, 2011, 08:45:15 AM »
becomes the regular AC.)
Bump?

Touch attacks, ranged touch attacks, and melee attacks are all covered, since they all use attack rolls.

FFS, I had to fix that.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #566 on: March 19, 2011, 01:05:57 PM »
Q195: Are there any ways to increase an ardents powers known, preferably more than one power per feat...

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #567 on: March 19, 2011, 01:26:31 PM »
Reality revision. It works for sorcerers with wish, per the forgotten realms books.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Redeemer of Ogar

• My wife's art page:
    • Email
« Reply #568 on: March 19, 2011, 01:37:39 PM »
Q196. If you are mounted when you cast Mirror Image, is your mount normally included in the effect, or do you just end up with 8 wizards sitting on the back of a soon-to-be-crunchy Phantom Steed?  :(
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 04:00:46 PM by Redeemer of Ogar »

Vicerious

• Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #569 on: March 19, 2011, 03:46:24 PM »
Q196. If you are mounted when you cast Mirror Image, is your mount normally included in the effect, or do you just end up with 8 wizards sitting on the back of a soon-to-be-crunchy Phantom Steed?  :(

Only if you have some method of sharing spells with your mount.  Otherwise, yes, it's a bunch of wizard images atop one mount.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

stranglebat

• Email
« Reply #570 on: March 19, 2011, 06:56:07 PM »
Q197 If you are unconscious are you unable to save vs Will saves like ghost possession and stuff, if so where is the rules for it?

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #571 on: March 19, 2011, 07:09:06 PM »
Q197 If you are unconscious are you unable to save vs Will saves like ghost possession and stuff, if so where is the rules for it?

If you are unconscious you are always considered willing

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #572 on: March 20, 2011, 01:41:15 AM »
Q198

Please correct me if I am wrong but animate dead should work on vermin?  Like make skeletons from spiders and other such arachnids?

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #573 on: March 20, 2011, 02:05:42 AM »
Q198

Please correct me if I am wrong but animate dead should work on vermin?  Like make skeletons from spiders and other such arachnids?

Works on any living corporeal creature that has a skeletal structure. So it would depend on the vermin and your DM, does an exoskeleton count as a skeletal system?

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #574 on: March 20, 2011, 04:09:19 AM »
Q198

Works on any living corporeal creature that has a skeletal structure. So it would depend on the vermin and your DM, does an exoskeleton count as a skeletal system?
yes, by definition

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

SanjiWatsuki

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #575 on: March 20, 2011, 04:35:35 AM »
Q199: Dragonkin in Draconomicon as characters lists 7 racial hit die and a level adjustment of 2. One of my players insists by RAW the racial hit die can be ignored, and thus the racial skills and feats, and the race becomes an LA+2 with no racial hit die. I've maintained that by RAW, he can't.  By RAW, can you drop these racial hit dice?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #576 on: March 20, 2011, 04:54:31 AM »
Q199: Dragonkin in Draconomicon as characters lists 7 racial hit die and a level adjustment of 2. One of my players insists by RAW the racial hit die can be ignored, and thus the racial skills and feats, and the race becomes an LA+2 with no racial hit die. I've maintained that by RAW, he can't.  By RAW, can you drop these racial hit dice?
I don't know if you can do it by RAW, but I've known people to do it for a lot of characters. I, myself, am being allowed to do it with my character who'd normally be 6HD and 4 LA. I'm just having to take the 4 LA. There's likely gotta be a clause of some kind somewhere for so many people do be allowing it.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #577 on: March 20, 2011, 05:02:33 AM »
Planetouched Handbook

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #578 on: March 20, 2011, 10:46:53 AM »
Q199: Dragonkin in Draconomicon as characters lists 7 racial hit die and a level adjustment of 2. One of my players insists by RAW the racial hit die can be ignored, and thus the racial skills and feats, and the race becomes an LA+2 with no racial hit die. I've maintained that by RAW, he can't.  By RAW, can you drop these racial hit dice?
Also, Monster Manual page 7.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #579 on: March 20, 2011, 12:25:07 PM »
Q 200:  How do you throw someone in DnD?

And don't say Bullrush.  Can you pick them up like an object or something?  Is there a feat, like Fling Ally but for enemies?

I'm thinking maybe knockback + insane bullrush modifiers or a spell maybe is/are the only ways to do it.  Any others?