Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill  (Read 186571 times)

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
Re: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill
« Reply #520 on: March 16, 2011, 05:00:53 PM »
Q179: Is there any restriction to bonus languages a character gains from high intelligence, barring Druidic?
A179: Yes.  Bonus languages from high intelligence must come from your race or class list (if your class offers one).  Sucks for warforged.   :shakefist
C179: That rule is one of the most ignored rules of DnD, and most DMs don't even remember it.

Which is a terrible nerf to Humans, who can have any.
oh, my heart's pumping peanut butter for 'em. 
given that they are the default race for just about everything -- primarily because of their race-exclusive options -- I don't see this as a problem.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #521 on: March 16, 2011, 05:30:42 PM »
Q179: Is there any restriction to bonus languages a character gains from high intelligence, barring Druidic?
A179: Yes.  Bonus languages from high intelligence must come from your race or class list (if your class offers one).  Sucks for warforged.   :shakefist
C179: That rule is one of the most ignored rules of DnD, and most DMs don't even remember it.
Please it's impossible to nerf humans, they're built so they a balanced neutral and are a viable option for every class, and the few racial variants of human (Silverbrow, Karsite, etc) are all powerful for their LA.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #522 on: March 17, 2011, 12:51:35 AM »
A179: Yes.  Bonus languages from high intelligence must come from your race or class list (if your class offers one).  Sucks for warforged.   :shakefist
Please it's impossible to nerf humans, they're built so they a balanced neutral and are a viable option for every class, and the few racial variants of human (Silverbrow, Karsite, etc) are all powerful for their LA.

Just to clarify, that was my attempt at sarcasm.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #523 on: March 17, 2011, 01:05:10 AM »
C179: That rule is one of the most ignored rules of DnD, and most DMs don't even remember it.Citation Needed

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #524 on: March 17, 2011, 01:11:12 AM »
Q181:What happens to a character that has vow of poverty and uses (psionic) minor creation to make something? I'm curious, because the feat says nothing about thing that are temporarily created by magic/psionics, and I might be running such a character soon.
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #525 on: March 17, 2011, 02:12:59 AM »
Bumping

Q 177 What Dungeon adventure was it that had an evil hound archon?

Q 182 Is there an item that can make a regular weapon into a magic weapon for a small period of time?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #526 on: March 17, 2011, 02:23:14 AM »
Q 182 Is there an item that can make a regular weapon into a magic weapon for a small period of time?
Gloves of Greater Magic Weapon once per day?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #527 on: March 17, 2011, 02:24:08 AM »
Anything that's already pre-made?

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #528 on: March 17, 2011, 02:30:29 AM »
Tooth of Leraje gives a CL 20 GMW 1/day for 21.6k.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #529 on: March 17, 2011, 02:33:50 AM »
Tooth of Leraje gives a CL 20 GMW 1/day for 21.6k.
That works. I was just about to edit this and ask that no potions be given as suggestions, but that tooth should work fine. Thanks.

Integral

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #530 on: March 17, 2011, 09:42:27 AM »
Q183: Without spoilers, if I were to play a Dragonfire Inspiration Bard in an upcoming RHoD campaign, would there be a significant difference between choosing fire or cold damage?

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #531 on: March 17, 2011, 01:46:13 PM »
Q 184
When does a creature deal constrict damage?
Is it every time it makes a successful grapple check? If so, does that mean everytime it succeeds on a grapple check to prevent someone from escaping the grapple, every time they make a grapple check to maintain the grapple, and every time they make a grapple check to deal unarmed strike damage? Because that will add up really quickly.

Or is it only wen they succeed on a grapple check specifically to deal constrict damage, which they can only make on their turn? Does that grapple check count as an attack action? This makes more sense, but the rules seem ambiguous.

Can anyone pull a quote from somewhere clearing things up more than the MMs did?
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #532 on: March 17, 2011, 05:31:16 PM »
Q 185: The Wild Hunter has a megaloceros mount, and the Trample feat.  Trample lets your mount make a hoof attack as you overrun your target, but a megaloceros doesn't have a hoof attack.  But it does get a stampede ability, which is functionally similar to trample, it is just contingent upon there being at least 5 of them...

RAW, does this feat do such a Wild Hunter no good?

Would it be amiss to rule that the megalocerus can trample for 1d4+5 or 1d3+5 damage?

Q 186: The mounted combat feat states:
becomes the regular AC.)
Does this feat work when the mount is struck by a touch attack effect (Eldritch Blast, for example)?  It notes "regular AC," though I imagine this was just short-sightedness on the part of the game writers.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:42:06 PM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Gnomeo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #533 on: March 17, 2011, 06:10:46 PM »
A 184: A creature with the Constrict special ability deals Constrict damage in one of two ways (Rules Compendium, pg 100):

1) Whenever it uses a grapple check to deal damage (in addition to the normal unarmed damage), meaning the creature used an attack action to make a grapple check to deal damage to its opponent during its turn.  The number of grapple checks is dependent on base attack bonus as usual if using the full attack action.

2) If the creature has Improved Grab, it also deals Constrict damage along with the initial grapple check to grab the enemy (in addition to the normal unarmed or natural weapon damage).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:24:29 PM by Gnomeo »
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #534 on: March 17, 2011, 06:14:37 PM »
Q 187
Is this feat as bad as I think it is?

Mastery of the Silver Void (Player's Guide to Eberron, page 126): Automatically quicken any conjuration (teleportation) spell at -9 caster level.

As in, can't even actually use any conjuration (teleportation) spells until you're 9 levels past the level you get access to them? (IIRC, there's a line in the PHB about needing a minimum caster level to cast spells of certain levels.)
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

godzilla5939

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #535 on: March 17, 2011, 06:33:05 PM »
Q 188 Are there any +0 LA races with a positive Wis modifier?

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #536 on: March 17, 2011, 06:35:42 PM »
Buomman, Planar Handbook.
Also most of the Small-sized Anthropomorphic Animals from Savage Species.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #537 on: March 17, 2011, 06:39:46 PM »
Q 189 Actual scenario. PC wants to get information out of a BBEG "Bond villain" NPC before the PC gets knocked off. This is your typical stall for time while getting a confession out of the villain scenario. The NPC is smart, but not that wise, and might actually be stupid enough to give away the farm to the PC. What would be the opposed skills involved? Bluff vs Sense Motive? Gather Information vs Sense Motive, maybe?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #538 on: March 17, 2011, 06:41:09 PM »
A 189

Bluff vs. Sense Motive is most appropiate, I'd say.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #539 on: March 17, 2011, 06:47:15 PM »
Lots of lesser planetouched - see my handbook.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.