Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill  (Read 186565 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill
« Reply #500 on: March 15, 2011, 04:56:00 AM »
I think the MMII is notorious for having really bad CRs written in it's monster entries, both too high and too low depending on what, exactly, you're talking about.

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #501 on: March 15, 2011, 09:28:51 AM »
Q 171: I have a warrior that is wearing a gauntlet on his main hand and wielding a scimitar with his main hand. Can I attack interchangeably with my gauntlet and scimitar? For example with 3 attacks:  1.)Scimitar, 2.)Backhand with Gauntlet, 3.)Scimitar again
I'm not trying to get extra attacks, but I wanted to slash, or backhand a foe if I wanted to. Essentially what I wanted to do was enchant my scimitar with things that I would use all the time such as Shadow Striking, and enchant my gauntlet with situational things like Binding.
A171: I fear the rules are:
1. If you use two weapons, you take two-weapon fighting penalties.
2. If you're using the hand to wield a weapon, you cannot use it for other stuff.
Can you wield your scimitar in 2 hands? If so, letting go of the scimitar with 1 hand is a free action, and grasping a carried 2H weapon is also a free action. So this would at least get past #2. But there's still rule #1.
That said, I would allow a 11th level fighter to slash/punch/slash at 11/6/1.

Edit: a rather irrelevant but still perhaps applicable situation is when you're wielding double weapons: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#doubleWeapons.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:31:47 AM by cru »

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #502 on: March 15, 2011, 11:31:48 AM »
I think the MMII is notorious for having really bad CRs written in it's monster entries, both too high and too low depending on what, exactly, you're talking about.
that's a bit of an understatement.
I was quite dubious of the mountain giant's CR 26, so I decided to try to dig in and see what I could come up with.  Even being very generous, I could only come up with a 16.  After that, I just gave up trying, and now I just eyeball it (even more than with the other books' creatures).

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #503 on: March 15, 2011, 03:29:19 PM »
Q 171: I have a warrior that is wearing a gauntlet on his main hand and wielding a scimitar with his main hand. Can I attack interchangeably with my gauntlet and scimitar? For example with 3 attacks:  1.)Scimitar, 2.)Backhand with Gauntlet, 3.)Scimitar again
I'm not trying to get extra attacks, but I wanted to slash, or backhand a foe if I wanted to. Essentially what I wanted to do was enchant my scimitar with things that I would use all the time such as Shadow Striking, and enchant my gauntlet with situational things like Binding.
A171: I fear the rules are:
1. If you use two weapons, you take two-weapon fighting penalties.
2. If you're using the hand to wield a weapon, you cannot use it for other stuff.
Can you wield your scimitar in 2 hands? If so, letting go of the scimitar with 1 hand is a free action, and grasping a carried 2H weapon is also a free action. So this would at least get past #2. But there's still rule #1.
That said, I would allow a 11th level fighter to slash/punch/slash at 11/6/1.

Edit: a rather irrelevant but still perhaps applicable situation is when you're wielding double weapons: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#doubleWeapons.

The two-weapon fighting penalties only apply if you take advantage of the extra attack(s) from a second weapon. If you're just interchanging weapon attacks with your normal allotment of attacks, you don't take TWF penalties.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #504 on: March 15, 2011, 05:02:33 PM »
Q173

Is there any rule stating that spellcaster level = caster level? Or is it purely based on how a reader parses it? Because the obvious way to parse it, to me, would be accurately expressed as "Levels of a spellcaster class". If there is, Master Spellthief shenanigans are safe, but otherwise I'm not sure.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #505 on: March 15, 2011, 05:34:52 PM »
Q 174: I'm looking to make a Shadow Mastiff into a Woodling creature (MM3) so as to thematically match with a Verdant Prince (MM4) for a Wild Hunt of sorts.  Problem is that Woodling can't apply to outsiders (which a shadow mastiff, and yeth hound, both are).  What templates are there that change the type of an outsider to something else?  Half-troll would, but I don't want to give them fast healing.

PS - I know I could just give a Shadow Mastiff Woodling anyway, but if there is a legal way to template stack, other than Half-Troll, I'd like to investigate going that way.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #506 on: March 15, 2011, 06:48:03 PM »
Q 174: I'm looking to make a Shadow Mastiff into a Woodling creature (MM3) so as to thematically match with a Verdant Prince (MM4) for a Wild Hunt of sorts.  Problem is that Woodling can't apply to outsiders (which a shadow mastiff, and yeth hound, both are).  What templates are there that change the type of an outsider to something else?  Half-troll would, but I don't want to give them fast healing.

PS - I know I could just give a Shadow Mastiff Woodling anyway, but if there is a legal way to template stack, other than Half-Troll, I'd like to investigate going that way.

If you think the Type pyramid from Savage Species still applies, nothing but Construct and Undead (IIRC). Otherwise, anything at all that changes type. Half-Fey?
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #507 on: March 15, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
Q 175: If someone reads from a nether scroll (Lost Empire of Faerun) could they gain a level in an arcane casting class they don't qualify for?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #508 on: March 16, 2011, 02:44:40 AM »
q176 I need sources for non-crappy character portraits, for inspiration. /tg/ is too slow.
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #509 on: March 16, 2011, 02:45:34 AM »
Q 177 What adventure was it that had an evil hound archon?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #510 on: March 16, 2011, 04:32:48 AM »
q176 I need sources for non-crappy character portraits, for inspiration. /tg/ is too slow.
Google
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #511 on: March 16, 2011, 08:27:53 AM »
Q 178: Other than divine power, transformation, and the one from FCII, and its psionic equivalents, and the bardic music ability, what means exist to boost BAB other than raw class levels, if any?
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #512 on: March 16, 2011, 08:41:42 AM »
There's that one prc that let's someone drop their's to boost yours, or whatever. And I just had a massive brain fart and can't remember anything more than that.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #513 on: March 16, 2011, 09:01:42 AM »
A178 Druids have their schtick, too. Eighth level spell probably called Megalodon Empowerment, probably from Stormwrack.

Integral

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #514 on: March 16, 2011, 09:46:15 AM »
There's that one prc that let's someone drop their's to boost yours, or whatever. And I just had a massive brain fart and can't remember anything more than that.

Kensai can drop theirs to boost others. Particularly good coupled with Warchanter. The Skillful weapon enchant let's you set your BAB to 3/4 HD, if it's less than that to start with.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #515 on: March 16, 2011, 02:04:39 PM »
Q179

Is there any restriction to bonus languages a character gains from high intelligence, barring Druidic?

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #516 on: March 16, 2011, 02:16:21 PM »
Q180
Are there extant rules penalizing the perception skills (Spot, Search, Listen) based on movement? I've had more than one player ask about making Spot/Listen checks while at a dead run.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Scrollreader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #517 on: March 16, 2011, 02:51:14 PM »
Q179

Is there any restriction to bonus languages a character gains from high intelligence, barring Druidic?

A179: Yes.  Bonus languages from high intelligence must come from your race or class list (if your class offers one).  Sucks for warforged.   :shakefist

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #518 on: March 16, 2011, 03:12:31 PM »
Q179: Is there any restriction to bonus languages a character gains from high intelligence, barring Druidic?
A179: Yes.  Bonus languages from high intelligence must come from your race or class list (if your class offers one).  Sucks for warforged.   :shakefist
C179: That rule is one of the most ignored rules of DnD, and most DMs don't even remember it.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #519 on: March 16, 2011, 04:26:47 PM »
Q179: Is there any restriction to bonus languages a character gains from high intelligence, barring Druidic?
C179: That rule is one of the most ignored rules of DnD, and most DMs don't even remember it.

Which is a terrible nerf to Humans, who can have any.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.