Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill  (Read 186339 times)

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
Re: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill
« Reply #340 on: March 07, 2011, 11:46:44 AM »
Q 110: Is there any creature that deals skirmish damage without character class levels? Plenty of creatures sneak attack...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 07:55:45 PM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #341 on: March 07, 2011, 01:07:02 PM »
Q 111: Is there a feat that allows you to use Bardic Music instead of Metamagic? Like DMM, but for Bards?

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #342 on: March 07, 2011, 01:51:14 PM »
A 111 Lyric Spell and Metamagic Song should work. There might be a level cap, unlike DMM, though.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #343 on: March 07, 2011, 02:55:04 PM »
WtW is ECL 27. It has 23 HD. Safe to call it a +4 LA.
That's the greatest LA +4 ever.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Minos Engele

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #344 on: March 07, 2011, 02:59:11 PM »
Q 112:

When using the Deep Strike Impact Feat from the XPH will all attacks made in one full-attack round benefit from the feat? Or only one of the attacks?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 03:03:50 PM by Minos Engele »

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #345 on: March 07, 2011, 03:13:38 PM »
Q 112:

When using the Deep Strike Impact Feat from the XPH will all attacks made in one full-attack round benefit from the feat? Or only one of the attacks?

A 112: SRD says: "attack", not attacks. So only the first applies.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #346 on: March 08, 2011, 12:01:59 AM »
q113Is there a rule out there that says that if your class is proficient with all Martial weapons you are automatically proficient with Simple weapons? Because otherwise, lol @ Duskblades.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #347 on: March 08, 2011, 12:13:01 AM »
q113Is there a rule out there that says that if your class is proficient with all Martial weapons you are automatically proficient with Simple weapons? Because otherwise, lol @ Duskblades.

A113: PHB pg 112 under weapon categories: Anybody but a druid, monk, rogue or wizard is proficient with all simple weapons.  
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

muhammed

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #348 on: March 08, 2011, 01:06:54 PM »
Q115: Would you allow the Daring Outlaw feat to work with a sneak attack Fighter?

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #349 on: March 08, 2011, 01:10:37 PM »
Q115: Would you allow the Daring Outlaw feat to work with a sneak attack Fighter?

Yes, because the classes involved need all the mercy they can get.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

The_Laughing_Man

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #350 on: March 08, 2011, 03:08:24 PM »
Q 110: Is there any creature that deals skirmish damage without character class levels? Plenty of creatures sneak attack...

A110: I hope this helps :)
Tirbana Slayer MM5 p.173
Hound of the Hunt MM5 p.202
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 03:14:54 PM by The_Laughing_Man »

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #351 on: March 08, 2011, 03:37:19 PM »
Q116

If I have a template that changes a character's race to undead and that template allows the base critter to keep Special Qualities as well as Special Attacks would that means if I have a NPC with levels in say...Binder could I use binding on the character?

Gods that was wordy

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #352 on: March 08, 2011, 03:41:06 PM »
Q116

If I have a template that changes a character's race to undead and that template allows the base critter to keep Special Qualities as well as Special Attacks would that means if I have a NPC with levels in say...Binder could I use binding on the character?

Gods that was wordy

Which template do you want to use, there could be several answers to this question and the fastest way around that is asking.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #353 on: March 08, 2011, 03:43:32 PM »
So long as the template does not make the NPC mindless, you will almost definitely keep your class abilities.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #354 on: March 08, 2011, 03:44:35 PM »
Q116

Gods that was wordy
A116
I think that the Special Qualities and Attacks that it may be referring to are whatever racial ones you may have had .... seeing as you always keep abilities gained from class levels unless the template specifically says so (such as the zombie and skeleton templates)

argh -- ninja'd

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #355 on: March 08, 2011, 04:23:13 PM »
The templates are dread skeleton and dread zombie from Green Ronin's Advanced Monster Manual.  The base creature doesn't gain mindless.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #356 on: March 08, 2011, 04:26:10 PM »
The templates are dread skeleton and dread zombie from Green Ronin's Advanced Monster Manual.  The base creature doesn't gain mindless.
then you should be good.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Ikeren

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #357 on: March 08, 2011, 09:10:08 PM »
Q117: I alter self into a troglodyte, gaining 3 natural attacks; 2 claws, and a bite, all at 1d4 damage, and multi-attack feat, which lets me use them at Str+BAB, Str+BAB, Str+BAB-2.
I cast stone fist, Races of Stone pg 163. It increases my unarmed strike to 2d6 damage. Can I apply that to the natural attacks? If no, can I use the multi-attack feat with with my new and improved unarmed strike?

Q118: I'm a 3rd level cleric. Do I have any spells in my arsenal that would prevent a fiend of possession from possessing me or my equipment? I'm thinking Alignment Storms from SpC, but they're all 3rd level spells.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #358 on: March 08, 2011, 09:12:54 PM »
Q117: I alter self into a troglodyte, gaining 3 natural attacks; 2 claws, and a bite, all at 1d4 damage, and multi-attack feat, which lets me use them at Str+BAB, Str+BAB, Str+BAB-2.
I cast stone fist, Races of Stone pg 163. It increases my unarmed strike to 2d6 damage. Can I apply that to the natural attacks? If no, can I use the multi-attack feat with with my new and improved unarmed strike?

Q118: I'm a 3rd level cleric. Do I have any spells in my arsenal that would prevent a fiend of possession from possessing me or my equipment? I'm thinking Alignment Storms from SpC, but they're all 3rd level spells.

a117: no. multi-attack and unarmed strike will end up with an attack spread of (Iterative attacks)/ Bite -2/Claw -2/Claw -2 and only half Str is applied to damage on bite/claw/claw.
a118: protection from alignment.

q119:
Quote from: Some guy from GitP
I remember the DMG or the MM saying that flight speeds over 100ft are always magically created.
Is there any truth to this statement?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:49:45 PM by bearsarebrown »

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #359 on: March 08, 2011, 11:23:56 PM »

q119:
Quote from: Some guy from GitP
I remember the DMG or the MM saying that flight speeds over 100ft are always magically created.
Is there any truth to this statement?

From Alter Self:
You acquire the physical qualities of the new form while retaining your own mind. Physical qualities include natural size, mundane movement capabilities (such as burrowing, climbing, walking, swimming, and flight with wings, to a maximum speed of 120 feet for flying or 60 feet for nonflying movement)

There are other examples of the 120 ft limit (maybe dragon wildshape from Draconomicon) that specifically say that flight faster than that speed is due to magic, and is not provided with this ability.  I can't recall for sure where, though.

Q 120: I'm soon to be joining a group that is running through many of the Living Greyhawk adventures, using the Living Greyhawk rules.  What are some of the better basic character ideas/options for such a campaign?  I was thinking either Druid (;)) or Arcane Hierophant, but the latter would be difficult with only 28 point buy.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread