Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill  (Read 186573 times)

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Re: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 04:49:27 PM »
Q8) There any casting or pseudocasting systems, homebrew or otherwise, that use Strength or Dexterity as a primary ability?
Off the top of my head, there's this.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 05:23:20 PM »
q9 Potentially not simple, Dry Liches are affected by all water as if Holy Water. What do I do when we need to visit the Sahuagin king?

Carnap

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 05:28:34 PM »
q9 Potentially not simple, Dry Liches are affected by all water as if Holy Water. What do I do when we need to visit the Sahuagin king?

A9. It's effectively average 5 points of damage per round. Just get fast healing (evolved undead or dragon shaman aura).

D.Bjorn.Y

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 07:38:35 PM »
Q10 Does anyone know of any obscure (or not) PrC with full arcane casting accessible to an Changeling(race) Changeling Rogue(class) 1/Sorcerer 1/Binder 1 between levels 6 to 8 that will give me Greater Spell Focus(illusion) or Spell Focus (illusion) between levels 3 to 6. I will take Spell Focus at level 6 if I can not get it earlier with a little PrC Magic. Loremaster is not an option as my Int is 16.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 08:14:32 PM »
Q 11 If your summon monster is defeated, and you're not there to witness it, can you tell if it's been sent back or not?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 09:17:22 PM »
q12: What would one consider the 'best' or at least most useful of the 3.0/3.5 dragon magazines? Considering grabbing some.
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 09:24:40 PM »

Wear a spacesuit.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 09:26:26 PM »

Wear a spacesuit.
If you are a demilich, a covered fishbowl is also an option.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 10:17:57 PM »
Q13: What's a good table top system for ship to ship space battles?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 11:31:22 PM »

Necklace of Adaptation is your friend.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 01:23:44 AM »
Q14: Murder of Crows is CR2, is this the proper CR for them?  I've never seen them in action and I know sometimes CRs can be grossly wrong.  Pg 87 of Tome of Magic.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 01:36:05 AM »
Q15: Does anyone know of an old Core-only "Monk Without Monk" build that did pretty much all of what a straight Monk does (at least, all of the relevant parts) but didn't take a single level of it? I remember it had several levels of Assassin and Dragon Disciple (extra natural attacks to emulate unarmed strike and flurry, and the Assassin gave Dimension Door several times/day for Abundant Step).
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 01:42:35 AM »
Q15: Does anyone know of an old Core-only "Monk Without Monk" build that did pretty much all of what a straight Monk does (at least, all of the relevant parts) but didn't take a single level of it? I remember it had several levels of Assassin and Dragon Disciple (extra natural attacks to emulate unarmed strike and flurry, and the Assassin gave Dimension Door several times/day for Abundant Step).
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8146.msg272426#msg272426

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 03:10:28 AM »
Q16: Is there any way to get an extra specialization as a Wizard?  Be a Necromancer/X or something?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 05:29:57 AM »
q 17. when making a dex/wis focused character what are some suggested low LA races/templates. making a unarmored fighter type.

q 18. is it possible to make an ooze as a character? or something similiar?

Q 11 If your summon monster is defeated, and you're not there to witness it, can you tell if it's been sent back or not?

seems like that old tree in the woods quote lol.

im not quoting rules here but i would think that you would. a caster can dispell there spell at any time.. so iv always been under the impression that they can tell if the spell is still active.
.... but then again.... if you say have an alarm spell up, and someone detects and dispells that then you would not know its gone. hmm. my own logic is working against me here on both sides. lawl. sryy no good answer here  :D
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2011, 07:33:45 AM »
A6
Lunging Strike: Player's Handbook 2-->full-round attack grants +5' reach to 1 attack

A17
Whisper Gnomes are LA 0 and are the perfect DEX combatant. Bonus to DEX and CON, penalty to STR and CHA. Get Weapon Finesse and you're golden. In addtion, they have a total +9 to Hide checks and +5 to Move Silently checks. The kicker? The can cast silence one per day as a Spell-like ability, making them natural mage-killers. CHA will probably be your dumpstat, but if it is above 11, you get some other spell-likes.

A18
You can make any creature a PC. Just add its HD and LA to find starting level.
I might be wrong about that, but Savage Species should have everything you want! I refer you there.
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2011, 08:58:21 AM »
Mistling fey template gets you a living spell for eight hours a day (or all day with magic in the blood).  That's a pretty awesome ooze.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2011, 10:08:04 AM »
Q19) Can you jump while flying? If so, would you use your fly speed or your base land speed to modify it?

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2011, 01:17:14 PM »
Q4 Anyone know a place where i can find out exactly what spells require line of sight, line of effect, both or neither?

Here.

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2011, 01:22:59 PM »
q 17. when making a dex/wis focused character what are some suggested low LA races/templates. making a unarmored fighter type.

q 18. is it possible to make an ooze as a character? or something similiar?

seems like that old tree in the woods quote lol.

im not quoting rules here but i would think that you would. a caster can dispell there spell at any time.. so iv always been under the impression that they can tell if the spell is still active.
.... but then again.... if you say have an alarm spell up, and someone detects and dispells that then you would not know its gone. hmm. my own logic is working against me here on both sides. lawl. sryy no good answer here  :D

An additional A17: Insectoid Creature from Savage Species. It gives you +4dex, +2wis, four arms (that you are unable to make attacks with, but you can still use them for extra hands on weapons (+.5STR per hand) IIRC), a climb speed, some natural armour, and inability to be flanked. Also, you become an aberration, for what it's worth (alter self).For +2LA it isn't terribly optimal, but I really like it. Why? I climb up stuff, hide, and ambush them with a pouncing battle jump using a 6-handed greatsword. So it's a personal thing ^_^
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-