Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill  (Read 186575 times)

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill
« Reply #120 on: February 27, 2011, 02:37:32 AM »
Q40: I'm  not happy with the rules in the DMG concerning guns. Does anyone have a link to a different set of rules? third party is excepted/expected
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: February 27, 2011, 02:58:00 AM »
Q40: I'm  not happy with the rules in the DMG concerning guns. Does anyone have a link to a different set of rules? third party is excepted/expected
A40: Try looking up the D20 Modern rules, there is an SRD for it.
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #122 on: February 27, 2011, 03:00:18 AM »
Q37: One of my players wants to play some PF class called a Magus in my Tier 3 or lower 3.5 game.  Will it break my game/outshine the other PCs?  So far the game involves a Swordsage and a Shugenja.
It could very well do so, yes. Of course, that'd depend on which version of the Magus you're using. If you're using the first trial version, it's 50/50. If you're using the newly updated one (trial 2), then you're looking at more a 70/30 deal. It's not the best class by any means, but it can most definitely hold it's own in a regular D&D campaign.
If you would allow him to play a duskblade, then the Magus should be fine.

That's how the player is trying to sell me, but the spell list seems much better, and they get spell levels at much lower levels.  They also get the full attack and cast spell option at level 2 instead of level 13.  At level 8 they can haste themselves and make 3 attacks.  Makes me a little nervous.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #123 on: February 27, 2011, 03:08:22 AM »

Thanks, I was even given the books, but never opened them... guess now is the time to do so
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2011, 03:24:59 AM »

Thanks, I was even given the books, but never opened them... guess now is the time to do so

one issue of dragon magazine has more guns, renaissance ones anyway.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2011, 03:52:17 AM »

one issue of dragon magazine has more guns, renaissance ones anyway.

Dragon #321
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2011, 05:31:25 AM »
Q 41: Does anyone know a good table for random limb removal?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Esgath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2011, 08:25:44 AM »
Q 42: Say we have 2 characters with Robilar's Gambit on, and character A provokes an AoO from character B. Given enough Dex, would they beat each other to death before character A would resume his original move?

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2011, 08:58:18 AM »

hackmaster?

Alternatly gurps has tables for just about every concievable body typed (and some inconceivable ones) with varying levels of detail.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2011, 09:19:28 AM »
A 42: Yes.

A 40:  There have been many attempts to homebrew realistic gun rules.  Iron Kingdoms from Privateer Press has a decent system.  There's a great system, for all tech levels and types of guns, but I just spent a good ten minutes trying to find it and I have no luck.  Only clue is that it was used in a GitP play by post game set in the carribean and includes rules for all types of early guns (matchlock up to flintlock/wheellock/late renaissance).

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2011, 12:32:19 PM »
Q 43 RAW, can you use a Revenance + Revivify combo on someone who's been dead for two rounds or more? If so, what's the reasoning you can get around the 1 round limit on Revivify?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2011, 12:51:17 PM »
Bastion Press's Torn Asunder: Critical Hits is an entire book devoted to it. But called shots and limb removal is a retarded idea because its defines injuries in an abstract HP system.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2011, 01:19:35 PM »
Q 43 RAW, can you use a Revenance + Revivify combo on someone who's been dead for two rounds or more? If so, what's the reasoning you can get around the 1 round limit on Revivify?

Q44: Yes, and the reasoning is that at the end of Revenance they die again.  Thus as long as you revive them within 1 round of them dying from that, jackpot.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2011, 01:47:03 PM »

Q44: Yes, and the reasoning is that at the end of Revenance they die again.  Thus as long as you revive them within 1 round of them dying from that, jackpot.
That is some major cheese, right there.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2011, 02:28:09 PM »
Q44: Isn't there a flaw/trait/feat that exchanges darkvision for lowlight?
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2011, 03:16:33 PM »
Bastion Press's Torn Asunder: Critical Hits is an entire book devoted to it. But called shots and limb removal is a retarded idea because its defines injuries in an abstract HP system.
I'll be running a starwars campaign, and I need something that reflects the fact that 10% of the times people swung a light saber, someone lost a hand, an arm, a leg, a torso or a head.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2011, 03:59:41 PM »

That is some major cheese, right there.

It might seem that way, but consider it this way.  If your character dies, and 1 round later you cast Revivify.  Cool.  The next time your character dies, someone casts Revivify within 1 round.  The GM says "Nope, sorry, it's only been 1 round since he died, but the time he died BEFORE that, was actually 3 months ago."  Doesn't make much sense does it?  I actually don't think it's very cheesy, and is just some nice synergy between two spells.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Bard

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2011, 04:10:08 PM »
Q45: If a spell with an effect has for example the Cold AND Fire descriptor, does it still affect creatures with Immunity to Cold? I know damage spells do half damage, but what about effects?
[Spoiler]
His old DM was on crack. He could take levels in freaking Dread Necromancer if he wanted to and no rule in the universe would keep him from doing so.
Rule 0?
Which, I guess, would be 'no rule,' since none = 0.
What's funny is he always brings up Rule 0. I actually had to ask him what that was, and without blinking an eye he gave me the most detailed explanation I'd ever heard for a rule. It was like he was in a trance when he spoke. Looking it up, it just said "The unspoken DM gets final say/veto anything he wants rule."
You're such a kind man, for taking in abused unfortunates and rehabilitating them.
[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2011, 04:14:05 PM »
Q45: If a spell with an effect has for example the Cold AND Fire descriptor, does it still affect creatures with Immunity to Cold? I know damage spells do half damage, but what about effects?
Subtypes only stop elemental damage. They still take full effect from non-damage effects of spells.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2011, 05:31:07 PM »
Q46
One of my friends is an Elan PsyWar with Psicrystal Affinity.  He claims that he can hold onto his flying psicrystal and use it as a mount.  I disagree, because a psicrystal has 1 STR and he weighs over 200lb with gear.

What is the verdict on this?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"