Author Topic: Law of Proportionate Response OR how competence begots competence.  (Read 31624 times)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Re: Law of Proportionate Response OR how competence begots competence.
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 07:07:08 PM »
A more normal reason to stand and fight is because you want the loot that the beast/person is carrying/guarding.  Isn't part of the reason to dungeon crawl (and yes I know that there is more to rpgs then dungeon crawling but lets take a broad example shall we) is to get the loot or rescue some npc?  Sure a Dm can run a game how ever (s)he wants but if they follow the rules as well as properly play monsters instead of having them stand there then TPK would be standard fair.  Remember that Tomb of Horrors was ment for a high character death count.  You are expected to die and roll up a new character unless you IP Proof.

Tomb of Horrors is a bad example. Not because it isn't deadly, but because success or failure is based on your ability to read your DM's mind, not IP proofing. Way too many Death, No Saves for things like skill or choices to matter. It's like those CYOA books - if you go left, you randomly get killed by a snake. If you go right, you randomly fall off a cliff. So go straight, damnit!

Anyways, everyone fights to the death, even if they don't want to, because there is no other choice.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 07:07:53 PM »
Anyways, everyone fights to the death, even if they don't want to, because there is no other choice.

So clearly your encounters should not be all "kill this monster". 

Furthermore, retreat is always an option if you have any idea about what's up ahead.  Like with scouting or divination magics.  If you open a door and see a great wyrm dragon... you close the door and run like hell.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 07:09:53 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 07:12:08 PM »
Or teleport to the next room :P.

Hey, not everyone understands "solving" encounters as killing everything.
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

Anarchy_Kanya

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Bisexuality rocks! Anarchy Rules! Anarchy Girl FTW
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 07:12:33 PM »
No, you misunderstood him. He's saying "Everyone fights to the death (in my games), even if they don't want to, because (I say so, so) there is no other choice".
No matter how right he can be, his teories are just silly. :lmao
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 07:14:43 PM by Anarchy_Kanya »
Fly Away With Me!
We Are Angels! Anarchy!
[spoiler]
Once my 12 level VoP exalted Monk beat a Horned Devil. ALONE! The only dmg the devil could do to me was from one spell-like that he menaged to shoot out before he droped. :D
wow... you are the epitome of trolling...

Non complete list of people here that are not fuckwits: bearsarebrown, BeholderSlayer, Dictum Mortum, Ithamar, Kajhera, RelentlessImp, SeekingKnight, Shiki, Solo.
You didn't include yourself. Does that mean you're a fuckwit? ???

Hi Welcome
Then I can assume the answer to the question is "Yes".
[/spoiler]
Making Fighters special - lil project by me.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 07:19:37 PM »
My bad Sunic.  It was one of the few modules I know of that had a high PC death count.

@TML:

Not all encounters are fight monster/person to death but, as many gamers tend to enjoy fantasy movies, this ends up to be fighting against a great evil/good.  So a lot of games become kill random things as that is how many people have played for many years.  

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2011, 07:40:59 PM »
@TML:

Not all encounters are fight monster/person to death but, as many gamers tend to enjoy fantasy movies, this ends up to be fighting against a great evil/good.  So a lot of games become kill random things as that is how many people have played for many years.  

What lousy fantasy movies have you been watching? The heroes always end up needing up here and there, and several enemies are worth more alive than dead. Heck, my groups are always trying to befriend/enslave/mindrape the stuff they find. It's only fair the bad monster would like some toys of his own. I even saw a whole  of Pelor make deals with greater devils in order to don't be raped in the spot by said greater devils when the cleric in question tried to bite more than he could chew (we were ordered to simply scout an evil cult, and the cleric just had to charge in all buffed up thinking he could take on whatever leader the cult had).

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2011, 08:09:04 PM »
I was trying to be general.  Maybe I should say old fantasy movies where the hero(ine) is trying to rescue the kingdom or their SO. 

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2011, 08:16:17 PM »
In my most recent gaming session, the level 12 party encountered a maximum size troupe of ice devils guarding one of the entrances to hell.  (which is, what - CR 16 or 17?).  We negotiated from just outside the border, discovered that it was effectively shit duty assigned in order to marginalize malcontents.  Since we were on a mission that would screw Mephy over, we were able to work out an informal agreement that avoided bloodshed (devils, it turns out, are big on petty revenge).
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011, 08:36:16 PM »
In my most recent gaming session, the level 12 party encountered a maximum size troupe of ice devils guarding one of the entrances to hell.  (which is, what - CR 16 or 17?).  We negotiated from just outside the border, discovered that it was effectively shit duty assigned in order to marginalize malcontents.  Since we were on a mission that would screw Mephy over, we were able to work out an informal agreement that avoided bloodshed (devils, it turns out, are big on petty revenge).

You got me there.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 10:23:49 AM »
Skipping past more lies and Fail.

My bad Sunic.  It was one of the few modules I know of that had a high PC death count.

@TML:

Not all encounters are fight monster/person to death but, as many gamers tend to enjoy fantasy movies, this ends up to be fighting against a great evil/good.  So a lot of games become kill random things as that is how many people have played for many years. 

Nah, the problem is simpler than that.

If you do want to fight to the death, you do.
If you don't, well you can't run, and any alternatives either don't exist, or are worse than death, so you do anyways.

End result? Sometimes you really do have to figure out how the fuck your level 11 party is supposed to deal with a Horned Devil in combat. You DID IP proof, right?

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Anarchy_Kanya

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 10:31:56 AM »
Once my 12 level VoP exalted Monk beat a Horned Devil. ALONE! The only dmg the devil could do to me was from one spell-like that he menaged to shoot out before he droped. :D
Fly Away With Me!
We Are Angels! Anarchy!
[spoiler]

Non complete list of people here that are not fuckwits: bearsarebrown, BeholderSlayer, Dictum Mortum, Ithamar, Kajhera, RelentlessImp, SeekingKnight, Shiki, Solo.

Hi Welcome
[/spoiler]

zugschef

• Curious George
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 10:34:38 AM »

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2011, 10:35:17 AM »

My bad Sunic.  It was one of the few modules I know of that had a high PC death count.

@TML:

If you don't, well you can't run, and any alternatives either don't exist, or are worse than death, so you do anyways.

End result? Sometimes you really do have to figure out how the fuck your level 11 party is supposed to deal with a Horned Devil in combat. You DID IP proof, right?

...What kind of parties do you have that can't run at 11th level? /pokes Teleport. I know Trace Teleport exists but it's not particularly ubiquitous.

Not that you shouldn't be able to beat a horned devil, but ... that's not the point. Point is you're confusing me.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:37:55 AM by Kajhera »

Anarchy_Kanya

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2011, 10:36:53 AM »
No, I'm telling the truth. If you know polish or have a knack for translating, I can send you a link to the PbF in which it happened.
Fly Away With Me!
We Are Angels! Anarchy!
[spoiler]

Hi Welcome
[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 10:57:44 AM »

Plus Fucking One.

My bad Sunic.  It was one of the few modules I know of that had a high PC death count.

@TML:

Not all encounters are fight monster/person to death but, as many gamers tend to enjoy fantasy movies, this ends up to be fighting against a great evil/good.  So a lot of games become kill random things as that is how many people have played for many years. 

...What kind of parties do you have that can't run at 11th level? /pokes Teleport. I know Trace Teleport exists but it's not particularly ubiquitous.

Not that you shouldn't be able to beat a horned devil, but ... that's not the point. Point is you're confusing me.

You use one of your second highest spell slots to escape.

Now, here's the thing about D&D. Attacker Advantage. It exists. It's very strong. And it means exactly what it says = if you are the Attacker, you have the Advantage.

So, you get away. You now have something much more powerful than you, that is angry at you, and can run you down whenever it wants, however it wants. You should have just dealt with it the first time, as now it's likely to appear when you're busy fighting something else, just to really fuck you up.

(Funny thing about Horned Devils - they're actually easier to kill than Ice Devils.)

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2011, 11:32:07 AM »
tl;dr

Short version?
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2011, 11:34:01 AM »
Okay, I understand, thanks.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2011, 11:39:03 AM »
tl;dr

Short version?

Real characters get real adventures. Fail characters get to deal with rat problems, and generally be mocked by the real characters, if not slain by them.

Hi Welcome

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Anarchy_Kanya

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011, 12:00:30 PM »
tl;dr

Short version?

Real characters get real adventures. Fail characters get to deal with rat problems, and generally be mocked by the real characters, if not slain by them.

Hi Welcome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUdrxZHbLIc&NR=1
The zombie cat is you. The blonde of course is me and the goth is skydragonknight.
Fly Away With Me!
We Are Angels! Anarchy!
[spoiler]

Hi Welcome
[/spoiler]