Author Topic: Versatile Wizard Build Help  (Read 1984 times)

Gilfanon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Versatile Wizard Build Help
« on: February 15, 2011, 01:06:00 AM »
All 3.0 and 3.5 material in all (officially licensed) books and magazines are fair game. My current build:

Race: Changeling
Build: Wizard 5/Mindbender 1/Urban Savant 4/Recaster 2/Hathran 5/XXX 3
Feats: Eathran, Favored (League of Eyes), Leadership, Mindsight

I usually don't build spellcasters, and could use some advice on finishing my build. The basic idea is to learn the enemy's weakness (Urban Savant 4), communicate that weakness to my compatriots (Mindbender 1), and have any and every spell at CL40 to exploit that weakness (Recaster 2 to grab Acorn of Far Travel, Hathran 5 for Rashemi Spirit Magic and Circle Magic). 

A few different ways I was considering to finish the build: Incantatrix 3 with extend and persist spell, to be boring and obvious and powerful; Recaster 3 to nab greater arcane fusion, lots of metamagic (twin, repeating, maximize, invisible, etc.), and metanode spell to essentially become a hugely versatile version of the mailman; Urban Savant 3 + Knowledge Devotion to be more of a team player; the dragontouched + snowcasting route to boost save DCs; or, any other three level dip and feat combination you guys think would be better. Though I have been thinking in terms of power, any more thematic suggestions would be awesome.

Also: worth trading scribe scroll + hummingbird familiar (or, +8 to initiative) to become independent of a spellbook and the associated costs (eidetic spellcasting)?

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Versatile Wizard Build Help
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 01:11:02 AM »
Uncanny Forethought.

Phoenix00

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 01:13:39 AM »
Eathran requires human
Recaster requires changeling

Note the Human Heritage feat from Races of Destiny will make this work

Hathran requires being good
Mindbender requires being non good
Good luck with this, now there is an evil version of Hathran from 3.0 Unacceptable East but it is like the 3.0 version of Hathran which requires arcane and divine spell knowledge to enter (but in return only advancing one but not both.)

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 01:34:52 AM »
Would Southern Magician cover the divine?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Gilfanon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 01:42:42 AM »
Uncanny Forethought.

I had absolutely no idea that feat existed. Brilliant, just brilliant. Especially when combined with circle magic.

Eathran requires human
Recaster requires changeling

Note the Human Heritage feat from Races of Destiny will make this work

Hathran requires being good
Mindbender requires being non good
Good luck with this, now there is an evil version of Hathran from 3.0 Unacceptable East but it is like the 3.0 version of Hathran which requires arcane and divine spell knowledge to enter (but in return only advancing one but not both.)

Thanks for the corrections - I am usually not this sloppy. In light of the awesome suggestions thus far, a new build for critique:

Race: Human
Build: Wizard 5/Mindbender 1/Urban Savant 4/Red Wizard 5/XXX 5
Feats: Favored (League of the Eyes), Mindsight, Tattoo Focus, any 3 metamagic or item creation feats, Spell Mastery, Uncanny Forethought.

Solves the alignment and race problems that I so embarrassingly missed. What do you guys think is the best way to finish the build? And is eidetic spellcasting worth the huge hit to initiative?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 01:45:56 AM by Gilfanon »

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 08:30:59 PM »
I would not pick up eidetic spell caster because otherwise spell mastery would just be a wasted feat and you gain more net benefits with the current build.  Although if your DM likes to kill familiars feel free to switch.

Andion Isurand

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • An Anomaly of The Art
    • MageRune - Andion Isurand's Homebrew Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 07:20:51 AM »
You could go for the Spontaneous Divination ACF from Complete Champion in place of your 5th level wizard bonus feat.

Also: The Hummingbird normally grants +4 Initiative as written, and this bonus is typically doubled by taking the Elven Wizard Substitution @ 3rd level wizard (Races of the Wild).  Unless you found something else that does it or made this feature available to all races.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:29:17 AM by Andion Isurand »