Author Topic: Bestow Power... does it really work for PP recharge tricks?  (Read 19230 times)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Bestow Power... does it really work for PP recharge tricks?
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 04:40:49 PM »
however, even as a lowly "just damage" blaster, being able to spam your best powers fully maximized, twinned, quickened, empowered etc... every encounter is a really big deal.
Good luck getting 4+ Psionic Focuses.

note the "etc..." i was listing examples of what can be possibly stacked on.  not necessarily all at the same time. 

anyways, you can get 3 focuses as a PWM easy enough. 

Psychic Weapon Master? Nice...
Crappy PrC; it's good for one thing and that's about it.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 08:01:37 PM »
So, supposing a DM didn't want any basic combo happening ... too bad.

Bestow + sharing it with Psicrystal + 3 pp Cog Crystal = slow recharge

and down the chain, nerf by nerf.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 09:40:11 AM »
It's only EVER a slow recharge, because as I see it, you only ever gain 1 PP per turn, right? The usual linked power/metapower stuff doesn't help, here, does it?

In any case, in a game where actions matter, YES you gain more nova potential. But considering that you have to stand around, or walk rather slowly, for a good long while between encounters, it's hardly an effective tactic. The GM only needs to turn up the heat a bit and your recharge is a lot less effective. Probably I would allow recharging like this, but I would then try to impose time limits on tasks. So, yes, you can have your recharge during lulls, but it probably won't help you, then, while during the time that matters you'll be faced with just the same problems as everybody else.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 09:48:13 AM »
It's only EVER a slow recharge, because as I see it, you only ever gain 1 PP per turn, right? The usual linked power/metapower stuff doesn't help, here, does it?

In any case, in a game where actions matter, YES you gain more nova potential. But considering that you have to stand around, or walk rather slowly, for a good long while between encounters, it's hardly an effective tactic. The GM only needs to turn up the heat a bit and your recharge is a lot less effective. Probably I would allow recharging like this, but I would then try to impose time limits on tasks. So, yes, you can have your recharge during lulls, but it probably won't help you, then, while during the time that matters you'll be faced with just the same problems as everybody else.

It's also moderately boring to walk around with one power point while the rest of the group does fun stuff, craving eight hours of rest that aren't quite as available as eight rounds of rest, if you failed to devote feats to doing random cool stuff with your focus.

(Think I like Earth Power + Midnight Augmentation + Bestow Power best, it works out to basically drawing power from the earth, which is pretty neat.)

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 10:39:37 AM »
Right, I forgot Midnight Aug, which just proves ONCE AGAIN that Incarnum rocks!

I must say, though, I have far fewer problems allowing these things on Psywars, because the PPs they get at low levels are just ridiculous.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 09:08:49 PM »

Yeah it's slow.
Still, gaining "only" 1pp per round adds up, if there's any down time at all.

Linked?
hmm ... off the top of my head(s), I'd say you could get ppoints a little faster.
Maybe 2:1 ratio after the set-up gets going.

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 12:52:50 AM »
1 pp/round is 10 pp/minute, and 100 pp for just 10 minutes... which comes out to 600 pp for just one hour.   i have never seen a pp reservoir so large, so most likely, even a lvl 20 psion will be fully or nearly recharged in about 30 minutes.   i dont play that often, but i would wager that encounters at the majority of tables occur in greater than 30 minute intervals.  its not quite so slow when you put it in those terms.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 06:44:27 AM »
1 pp/round is 10 pp/minute, and 100 pp for just 10 minutes... which comes out to 600 pp for just one hour.   i have never seen a pp reservoir so large, so most likely, even a lvl 20 psion will be fully or nearly recharged in about 30 minutes.   i dont play that often, but i would wager that encounters at the majority of tables occur in greater than 30 minute intervals.  its not quite so slow when you put it in those terms.
Well... that's true for most overland encounters. Probably in a confined dungeon the encounters will pile on more quickly. Ok, this makes the Psion a supernova, but I just don't even see a handle to forbid this - short of enforcing the super-crappy 3/day Torc. And instead of  forbidding this, I would rather make house-rules for CR and XP awards - if an encounter ends up too easy, the CR simply goes down.
The other option is simply bringing another wave of bad guys after the first goes down - and now the nova-psion will be low on PPs.

So what Tier is a recharging Psywar in? I think you can have a human or Azurin Psywar infinimanifest by level 1, of course Psionic Meditation needs a bit more time.

Azurin
1)Azure Talent, Psycarnum Infusion, Psicrystal affinity
2) ?
3) Psionic Meditation
5) bonus:Psicrystal containment
6) Midnight Aug

Could use some shifting around, and of course, it could use some feats that are actually combat relevant, but flaws can provide those.

My point? It's probably STILL Tier 3, even with that loop. And a Psion is still Tier 1. So... I really see no problems with this.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 02:22:41 PM »
Well, no recharge can happen before level 3 at the absolute earliest, since Bestow Power is a 2nd level power.

Typically, unless a psion really went all out on the nova, he still has enough PP to handle another encounter before recharging is required.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
  • "Seek Perfection of Character" - Gichin Funakoshi
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 02:32:28 PM »

It's only ever a slow recharge, until you can manifest Schism, Fission, and Affinity field.  Then you drop a Temporal Acceleration with a two round duration, manifest Fission, manifest Affinity field, and have your Fission manifest Schism.  You then use your standard action to recharge via Bestow Power (targeting either yourself or your Fission, it doesn't matter, the PP gained are shared by Affinity Field) and your Fission uses its standard action to manifest Schism.  Repeat until you are recharged.

Yeah, it requires a ninth level power, but you can eventually recharge within the space of 12 seconds, in game time.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 02:38:11 PM »
Well, no recharge can happen before level 3 at the absolute earliest, since Bestow Power is a 2nd level power.

Depends if you interpret Naberius to heal ability burn damage.

...not that that's relevant to a discussion on Bestow Power. Ignore me.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 03:05:55 PM »

There's a feat in Hyperconscious that definitely blocks ability burn (as it works on anything that drops an ability score).
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2011, 03:13:12 PM »

Strongheart Vest is a more solid method of prevention, as it cuts the incoming damage by one instead of trying to heal it after the fact, which isn't possible with burn.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2011, 03:07:23 AM »
If you're in a dungeon and manage to hang out in even the most superfluous room for 30 minutes unmolested, the DM isn't doing his job.

What's more, the buff-casters are going to hate you SO BAD.  There are a lot of good minute-per-level buffs that you can get at these high levels that you can stretch to a second and third encounter in a day that aren't going to last at all if you do this, and the 10 minute-per-level buffs won't last through too many recharges.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2011, 09:39:06 AM »

Strongheart Vest is a more solid method of prevention, as it cuts the incoming damage by one instead of trying to heal it after the fact, which isn't possible with burn.

Psionics <3's Incarnum apparently... Naberius works better for warlocks of hellfire... This is ... flavorfully fitting.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2011, 11:36:56 AM »
Naberius is natural ability healing.  Ability burn can only be 'healed naturally'.  It works perfectly, your DM may not allow it but if they don't they probably won't allow anything else.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2011, 12:12:12 PM »
Naberius is definitely not "natural ability healing."  Here's why.

1. Supernatural ability.  All vestige-granted abilities are these.
2. Not posessed automatically
3. Can heal Ability Drain, something which never heals naturally.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2011, 12:16:05 PM »
Naberius is natural ability healing.  Ability burn can only be 'healed naturally'.  It works perfectly, your DM may not allow it but if they don't they probably won't allow anything else.

*All powers granted by vestiges are supernatural in origin and are suppressed in an antimagic field.

This seems like a fairly strong argument for it not being natural... it can also heal ability drain, which is not able to be healed naturally.

Edit: Swordsage'd.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2011, 02:06:38 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty clear Naberius won't heal the ability burn after the fact. I don't even think it uses the word "natural" or any variant when describing the effect.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2011, 02:26:13 PM »
Yep.

I thought it said 'natural', but it don't.  It just says 'Faster Ability Healing'.  Which IMPLIES that it speeds up natural healing without ever saying so.  Still, RAW, doesn't work.