Author Topic: What PrC has the dumbest prereqs?  (Read 28358 times)

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Re: What PrC has the dumbest prereqs?
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 05:51:18 PM »
No swiftblade? Seriously? :rollseyes
Are we talking before or after it was fixed to allow casting Haste from a class list where it wasn't third level?

Well, having to stay a full level casting just haste with your X level spells still sucks balls. If you want to enter ASAP, that means a full level "losing" your highest level spell slots.
Your melee friends will appreciate it, at least. You could be blowing those slots on a lot worse.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 07:44:39 PM »
Drunken Master has some pretty odd requirements. You have to go out and spend a night on the town with the existing drunken masters without dying, getting thrown in jail, poisoning yourself, or being extraordinarily embarrassed.
I maintain that this is the coolest fluff prereq evarr

I mean think about it. Its like hazing but fun even when you don't qualify.

"Yeh this is meh third tyme out with the fellas. The first time I won the team drinking contest and then pissed meself. The second tyme was 30 minutes of runnin threw the market hollarin bout how we wassen't drunk. The popo didn't believe meh, but damn near everyone else walked a straight line."
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 07:47:57 PM »
It's also one of the hardest prerequisites to meet. Seriously, consider how many times those things happen to the PCs when they aren't fall-over drunk.

On the other hand, the Pyrokineticist requirement "Must have set fire to a structure of any size just to watch it burn" is virtually guaranteed to happen at some point.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 07:50:28 PM »
Reaping Mauler? Here, take this feat that guarantees you'll never actually be good at grappling...
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 07:59:05 PM »
Blighter.
Must be an ex-druid, previously capable of casting 3rd level druid spells.

Translation:
Must have spend time as a at least a level 5 druid, without an animal companion, wild shape ability, or spells. You must have run around trying to hack things up with your scimitar.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Janthkin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 08:05:49 PM »
Blighter.

Translation:
Must have spend time as a at least a level 5 druid, without an animal companion, wild shape ability, or spells. You must have run around trying to hack things up with your scimitar.
It's not that bad.  Go most of the way through level 5 as a druid, then teach someone else in the party Druidic.  Boom, instant non-druid, and just in time to level.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 08:15:30 PM »
Hathran and Nelfeshnee seem overly pickly to me.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 09:23:42 PM »
Blighter.

Translation:
It's not that bad.  Go most of the way through level 5 as a druid, then teach someone else in the party Druidic.  Boom, instant non-druid, and just in time to level.

But you still take a class that is inherently weaker than druid, and works pretty much as a first level druid on the first level, meaning you might be facing ECL 6 threats, but the only thing you get from your first 5 level is D8 Hit Die, two good saves and average BAB.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 11:23:34 PM »
Drunken Master has some pretty odd requirements. You have to go out and spend a night on the town with the existing drunken masters without dying, getting thrown in jail, poisoning yourself, or being extraordinarily embarrassed.

Odd but awesome to RP. Especially when you inspired the whole party to help  :P

Blighter.

Translation:

But you still take a class that is inherently weaker than druid, and works pretty much as a first level druid on the first level, meaning you might be facing ECL 6 threats, but the only thing you get from your first 5 level is D8 Hit Die, two good saves and average BAB.

You can retrain those levels, surely? I'm surprised they don't have a convert Druid levels to Blighter the way Blackguards do for Paladins.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 01:28:17 AM »

Odd but awesome to RP. Especially when you inspired the whole party to help  :P

Blighter.

Translation:

You can retrain those levels, surely? I'm surprised they don't have a convert Druid levels to Blighter the way Blackguards do for Paladins.
might have to adjust the casting to avoid 9th level spells @ 9th character level.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 01:32:49 AM »
Since only druids know it, and if they teach it to a non-druid they lose their spells and wild shape and everything.
Or pick up a pearl of speech from MIC.
Let's not forget the Survivor, whose prerequisites are almost guaranteed to be invalidated once you take the first level of the class.
Or the ur-priest, which is completely guaranteed to invalidate itself.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 01:51:34 AM »
Let's not forget the Survivor, whose prerequisites are almost guaranteed to be invalidated once you take the first level of the class.
Easy enough to handwave.

"I swear, they're not mine! I'm just holding them for a friend!"

Whisper

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 03:30:33 AM »

Explain?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 03:32:12 AM by Whisper »

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 03:34:32 AM »

There are so many better ways of getting a Fort dip  ;)

Any PrC that requires taking Great Fortitude and friends.  It hurts to qualify for Fist of the Forest, it hurts I tell ya!

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 05:11:40 AM »

Explain?
Ur-Priest requires you either not to have divine casting or to forsake it, then goes on to give you divine casting.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 06:28:55 AM »

Explain?
Ur-Priest requires you either not to have divine casting or to forsake it, then goes on to give you divine casting.
So it's like a 10-level Dragon Disciple.  You take a level of Ur-Priest, immediately lose the benefits because you have divine casting, and then immediately gain them again because you lost your divine casting.  Repeat until you hit stack overflow error and the DM handwaves it to make the game work.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 07:30:51 AM »

Explain?
So it's like a 10-level Dragon Disciple.  You take a level of Ur-Priest, immediately lose the benefits because you have divine casting, and then immediately gain them again because you lost your divine casting.  Repeat until you hit stack overflow error and the DM handwaves it to make the game work.
Well, if you forsake your divine casting you don't get it back just because you lost your ur-priest prereq.  I think you'd count as forsaking your ur-priest casting, which would go on to qualify you for ur-priest... without casting.
Planetouched Handbook

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2011, 07:48:23 AM »

Explain?
Well, if you forsake your divine casting you don't get it back just because you lost your ur-priest prereq.  I think you'd count as forsaking your ur-priest casting, which would go on to qualify you for ur-priest... without casting.
But if you have your ur-priest divine casting negated by not qualifying, then you are no longer able to cast divine spells (once again) and auto re-qualify.

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2011, 08:55:56 AM »
The way I see it: In the ur-priest entry it clearly states 'If such spellcasting ability was possesed, that ability is forever forsaken'.
So, you take first ur-priest level, you get divine spellcasting, you stop qualifying for ur-priest, you lose spellcasting. Regardless, of the fact that you now qualify, you possessed the ur-priest casting before, and therefore it's 'forever forsaken'.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2011, 09:30:53 AM »
The way I see it: In the ur-priest entry it clearly states 'If such spellcasting ability was possesed, that ability is forever forsaken'.
So, you take first ur-priest level, you get divine spellcasting, you stop qualifying for ur-priest, you lose spellcasting. Regardless, of the fact that you now qualify, you possessed the ur-priest casting before, and therefore it's 'forever forsaken'.
That's exactly what I was trying to say.
Planetouched Handbook