Author Topic: What PrC has the dumbest prereqs?  (Read 28311 times)

genuine

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: What PrC has the dumbest prereqs?
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2011, 01:32:04 PM »
Um, don't I already have one?

Where? There isn't anything in the handbook thread, and the link in your sig doesn't offer any methods and strategies; it merely explains what IP proofing is.  I'd like to see an actual consolidated handbook. I know that AC can be maxed to a useful point, but that usually creates a one trick pony with no other defenses that fails to the first domination spell. I know that darkstalker is practically necessary for anyone trying to use stealth - but I honestly don't know details like pre-reqs or whether it's actually useful for a character with, say, the cloister spell. Similarly, I can find threads about maxing will saves, or fort saves, or elemental resistance.

What I can't find is somewhere that offers it all in an easy-to-reference format. Yes, I can google for something specific (like will saves), but it would be nice to have a guide that puts it all together, and perhaps even offers some editorializing regarding what point you shouldn't sacrifice one defense for another (i.e. if maxing AC isn't optimal, how high should I aim for? Or how many feats is worth spending to shore up a weak will save?)

In other words, a thread similar to the 'God Wizard' controller handbooks, but based on IP proofing.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2011, 03:26:09 PM »
Grand idea. Would you kindly make one?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2011, 04:38:06 PM »
For what it's worth, I'm also very interested in seeing something like that.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2011, 04:40:01 PM »
I also say this is a good idea! Everyone who wants Sunic_Flames to show off his madhax opti-fu skills, UNITE!

C'mon, Sunic! FOR THE LULZ!
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

zugschef

• Curious George
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2011, 06:15:03 PM »
I also say this is a good idea! Everyone who wants Sunic_Flames to show off his madhax opti-fu skills, UNITE!

C'mon, Sunic! FOR THE LULZ!
actually such a handbook would be really helpful for a lot of people.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2011, 06:21:20 PM »
What I meant was the IP proofing thread mentioned a number of specific examples. But fine. A bunch of you people want it, so I'll probably do it. Not now though. Way too fucking busy.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

genuine

• Email
« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2011, 07:15:49 PM »
What I meant was the IP proofing thread mentioned a number of specific examples. But fine. A bunch of you people want it, so I'll probably do it. Not now though. Way too fucking busy.

No rush. It could likely be a rather time consuming project.

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2011, 05:29:56 AM »
Also, if it's a long enough project, he's virtually guaranteed to roll consecutive 1s at some point during the writing and die.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2011, 05:40:51 AM »
Also, if it's a long enough project, he's virtually guaranteed to roll consecutive 1s at some point during the writing and die.
Life is just IP too, eventually you'd fail the roll for 'basic systems to be working' and thats that.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Amadi

• Email
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2011, 07:01:05 AM »
Life is just IP too, eventually you'd fail the roll for 'basic systems to be working' and thats that.

That's why you IP proof and keep backup organs in a glass jar.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2011, 08:46:34 AM »
 :lmao
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2011, 12:33:14 PM »
In my prereq handbook, I do mention how silly stringent alignment requirements are. I'd say they have a place but I prefer vague ones like non-good, or non-lawful. :)

Nobody's mentioned the Assassin yet? "Any Evil" my ass.
Killing people for the fuck of it? If you think that is not evil, I really hope you are not in my country or apart of my society.

Ur-Priest: Antitheism is evil.
Check.

.... so a good theist?
That would be the default.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:34:53 PM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2011, 12:37:01 PM »
In my prereq handbook, I do mention how silly stringent alignment requirements are. I'd say they have a place but I prefer vague ones like non-good, or non-lawful. :)

Killing people for the fuck of it? If you think that is not evil, I really hope you are not in my country or apart of my society.

Ur-Priest: Antitheism is evil.
Check.

.... so a good theist?
That would be the default.

Killing someone just to join the Assassins makes the less sense from my perspective...generally...someone pays you for a contract on someone...not assigns you to kill a guy solely for the purpose of joining an organization devoted to taking contracts for killing.  ???

If you're the sort of guy who murders only for money, how do you join the prestige class?

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2011, 03:49:36 PM »

I don't see a problem with a Good-aligned character who understands that there are some people who really do need to be eliminated to make the world a better place (this is much less debatable in a world where Evil is a thing level 1 paladins can literally see, and where devils walk the earth ensnaring poor saps in Faustian pacts), and deciding that accomplishing it through guile, stealth, and a single well-placed strike minimizes collateral damage and the suffering of the victim.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2011, 04:19:28 PM »

I don't see a problem with a Good-aligned character who understands that there are some people who really do need to be eliminated to make the world a better place (this is much less debatable in a world where Evil is a thing level 1 paladins can literally see, and where devils walk the earth ensnaring poor saps in Faustian pacts), and deciding that accomplishing it through guile, stealth, and a single well-placed strike minimizes collateral damage and the suffering of the victim.

Mmhm. We're liberal enough with fluff to have had Exalted assassins in our games.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2011, 04:57:06 PM »
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2011, 11:20:08 PM »
WotC themselves proving that the alignment pre-reqs on basically all their classes are pure bullshit.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2011, 11:21:24 PM »
WotC themselves proving that the alignment pre-reqs on basically all their classes are pure bullshit.
Although the lesson may not have been learned; it's an April Fool's article.

Aharon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #138 on: February 18, 2011, 06:56:51 AM »
@Knowledge Devotion applying to spells
I think the Sage-CRAQ was made RAW in the Rule Compendium. There, they specified that bonuses to damage only apply to spells if it is specifically mentioned that they do.

@Gray Guard
I believe there was a policy to write prereqs in a way that may be geared towards a class, but to never make a PrC class-exclusive.
By clicking this link, you open a pop-up, but I get a eurocent for my current wish, the 5th book of the Wheel of Time series. Please note that this only works if you leave the pop-up opened till it has finished loading. Thank you!

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #139 on: February 18, 2011, 07:45:55 AM »

That depends on whether you view a death penalty as evil. What if the Devil and the evil dude redeem themselves and become a pillar for society? Then killing them would make you seem stupid.

What if it is like Gandalf says and it's "everybody has their part to play" when Frodo wants to kill gollum.

If you are the type of guy that usually kills for money, and you just go out and kill this random dude so you can join a group of assassins. I'd consider that pretty evil.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out