Author Topic: What PrC has the dumbest prereqs?  (Read 28313 times)

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
What PrC has the dumbest prereqs?
« on: February 09, 2011, 03:50:09 PM »
Question as per the title. Let's see some of those dumb prereqs. The idea for this came to me when I read the Blood Magus prereqs today while I was bored:

Special: The character must have been killed, then returned to life.

Not to mention two of the crappiest feats ever, Toughness and Great Fortitude.

dubya tee eff?
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: What PrC has the dumbest prereqs?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 03:54:25 PM »
Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil.
Spell Focus (Abjuration), Greater Spell Focus (Abjuration).
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

Pimpforged

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 03:57:15 PM »
Gonna have to go with Invisible Blade on this one
Far Shot, Point Blank Shot, and Weapon Focus (Dagger)

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 03:57:22 PM »
Arcane Hierophant. Is Speak Druidic a class feature or a language?
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 04:08:44 PM »

Worse. It's a 'screw you, you just became a commoner' ability. Since only druids know it, and if they teach it to a non-druid they lose their spells and wild shape and everything.
Solo on Essentials

BrokeAndDrive

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Why are there no ghosts of dinosaurs?
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 04:14:16 PM »

Worse. It's a 'screw you, you just became a commoner' ability. Since only druids know it, and if they teach it to a non-druid they lose their spells and wild shape and everything.
What gives with that whole "druid secret language" thing anyway? ???
Random quotes:[spoiler]I think Roy's coinages are shitty and dumb, but Failroy has to take the cake for the dumbest new compound word of the year
~

That was kind of the point. I was trying to be a Roy parody, but I guess it didn't come across overly well.

==

JaronK is of course most famous for his massive thought experiments into placing classes into tiers. While a kind of nifty idea, and a decent enough way to think about stuff, his particular tier assignments were basically insane. Apparently the criteria he used was to assign classes relative strength based on what bullshit he personally would let them get away with at 20th level.

So Factotums were rated very highly, because apparently he would let them use Rokugan-exclusive skills with Forgotten Realms-exclusive weapons from the back of MM2 templated warbeasts. But Rogues suck donkey dick, becuase he wouldn't let them use Use Magic Device to read scrolls of Planar Binding. It was a very surreal argument.
~

And to think the system was immortalized in OOTS. As a general rule, I try to avoid all tier discussion there because it's the De Facto system at BG, and I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Besides, I think if most people are pressed, they will admit that it's just an estimate, anyway, and that results can vary from table to table.
~

My only real complaint with the tier system is that at one point I was tired (tiered?) of hearing about it.[/spoiler]

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 04:20:49 PM »
its a useless hold over from past editions, all flavor, no function.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 04:21:25 PM »

What gives with that whole "druid secret language" thing anyway? ???
Probably a holdover from earlier editions, where druidic societies were more like frats or something. You had to fight another druid and win to progress beyond a certain point.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 04:29:56 PM »
Since only druids know it, and if they teach it to a non-druid they lose their spells and wild shape and everything.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 04:32:59 PM »
Allow me to introduce you to the Ardent Dilletante (Planar Handbook, page 55). In order to enter the PrC in the first place, you need 8 ranks in one skill and 1 rank in five others. In order to advance to lvl 4 or higher, you need 8 ranks in one Perform skill, 5 in another skill, 1 in any five skills, proficiency with at least two martial weapons, and the ability to cast first-level arcane or divine spells. To become a 7th-level or higher Dilletante, you need 8 ranks in a Perform skill, 5 ranks each in one Strength-based and one Dex-based skill, 1 each in another three skills, proficiency in four martial weapons and one exotic weapon, the ability to cast 1st-level arcane and divine spells, and to have visited at least three different planes.
In order to take the 10th level of this class, you need 8 ranks in a Perform skill, 5 ranks each in one Str-based, one Dex-based, one Con-based, and one Int- or Wis-based skill, proficiency with four martial and one exotic weapons, the ability to cast 1st-level arcane and divine spells, to have visited at least six different planes, and to have died and returned to life or unlife.

Is there such a thing as CAP for stupid prereqs?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 04:36:15 PM »
Allow me to introduce you to the Ardent Dilletante (Planar Handbook, page 55). In order to enter the PrC in the first place, you need 8 ranks in one skill and 1 rank in five others. In order to advance to lvl 4 or higher, you need 8 ranks in one Perform skill, 5 in another skill, 1 in any five skills, proficiency with at least two martial weapons, and the ability to cast first-level arcane or divine spells. To become a 7th-level or higher Dilletante, you need 8 ranks in a Perform skill, 5 ranks each in one Strength-based and one Dex-based skill, 1 each in another three skills, proficiency in four martial weapons and one exotic weapon, the ability to cast 1st-level arcane and divine spells, and to have visited at least three different planes.
In order to take the 10th level of this class, you need 8 ranks in a Perform skill, 5 ranks each in one Str-based, one Dex-based, one Con-based, and one Int- or Wis-based skill, proficiency with four martial and one exotic weapons, the ability to cast 1st-level arcane and divine spells, to have visited at least six different planes, and to have died and returned to life or unlife.

Is there such a thing as CAP for stupid prereqs?

Goddamnit, Sensates.
Solo on Essentials

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 04:39:07 PM »
Let's not forget the Survivor, whose prerequisites are almost guaranteed to be invalidated once you take the first level of the class.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 05:07:50 PM »
Dwarven Defender. That's a high feat tax just to be owned by a jogger.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 05:10:40 PM »
I was just thinking the other day that the Spellsword special prerequisite was pretty stupid.  "Must have defeated a foe through force of arms alone, without recourse to spellcasting."

With no qualifier like that, it's just pointlessly easy, rile up the town drunk and then push him over.  Or winning a fist-fight on the playground one time while you're a little kid in your backstory qualifies.  Hell, kick a cat that shed on your clothes or pissed on the carpet.

Go by what's probably the RAI, and defeat a foe that's a significant threat, probably a CR at or near your ECL at the time you defeat it, and it might be a little too hard.  The CR system is screwed up anyway, and solo fighting unaugmented generally isn't a good idea.  Worse, you've watered down your mundane combat abilities by taking levels of less martially-inclined classes to get into this gish class in the first place.  Seems a bit backward to me.

The class is pretty lame as anything more than a 1 level dip, too, but that's beside the point.

"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 05:16:13 PM »
I was just thinking the other day that the Spellsword special prerequisite was pretty stupid.  "Must have defeated a foe through force of arms alone, without recourse to spellcasting."

With no qualifier like that, it's just pointlessly easy, rile up the town drunk and then push him over.  Or winning a fist-fight on the playground one time while you're a little kid in your backstory qualifies.  Hell, kick a cat that shed on your clothes or pissed on the carpet.

Go by what's probably the RAI, and defeat a foe that's a significant threat, probably a CR at or near your ECL at the time you defeat it, and it might be a little too hard.  The CR system is screwed up anyway, and solo fighting unaugmented generally isn't a good idea.  Worse, you've watered down your mundane combat abilities by taking levels of less martially-inclined classes to get into this gish class in the first place.  Seems a bit backward to me.

The class is pretty lame as anything more than a 1 level dip, too, but that's beside the point.
I guess you could have killed a kobold or two back at level 1 when you ran out of spells and pulled out your light crossbow.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 05:19:38 PM »
Drunken Master has some pretty odd requirements. You have to go out and spend a night on the town with the existing drunken masters without dying, getting thrown in jail, poisoning yourself, or being extraordinarily embarrassed.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 05:34:37 PM »
No swiftblade? Seriously? :rollseyes
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 05:36:16 PM »
Are we talking before or after it was fixed to allow casting Haste from a class list where it wasn't third level?

muhammed

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 05:46:01 PM »
Gonna have to go with Invisible Blade on this one
Far Shot, Point Blank Shot, and Weapon Focus (Dagger)
If I remember the story correctly Invisible Blade and Master Thrower were originally one 10 level PRC that they broke into two 5 level ones, and just didn't reset the prereqs.

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 05:47:32 PM »
Are we talking before or after it was fixed to allow casting Haste from a class list where it wasn't third level?

Well, having to stay a full level casting just haste with your X level spells still sucks balls. If you want to enter ASAP, that means a full level "losing" your highest level spell slots.
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]