Author Topic: Not so sane DM allowing LA +8 buyoff. Need help with possible race choices.  (Read 15312 times)

Lo77o

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email
Ghost does sound like fun but I would prefer something that I could actually socially interact as and not have a hoarde of clerics trying to turn my arse. XP

Take the human heritage feat(Races of Destiny).  Changes your type to Humanoid(human).

So people would be all "TURN UNDEAD" and you'll be like "I'm not undead, jerk", and they'll be all "lolsorry".

As an added bonus: you keep undead traits.

Add on ghostly grasp (LM), which lets you interact normally with the material world if you so choose.  Be a myssssssssssssssterious stranger wearing a heavy black cloak.

How do you mix an acquired template with a feat you have to take at level one, and then apply it as if you got the feat after the template?

You apply things in the order that are most beneficial for you. So when you have both the feat and the Template, you can basically choose your type.

I was under the impression that you apply changes in the order you acquire them, and if you happen to acquire two changes at the same time, you choose what comes first.
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

Cannotthink

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Stonebone Creature out of Dragon #350. It's a +2 LA, but you get yourself Powerful Build.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
You can get Powerful Build with a feat.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
You can get Powerful Build with a feat.

What feat?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Try an unbodied. 4 HD, 4 LA, 4th level telepath manifesting, 100' telepathy, free shapeshifting (be a bitch and take Metamorphic Transfer), and a few other minor goodies.

Ghostly Grasp and Mindsight, and have at it.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
Ghost does sound like fun but I would prefer something that I could actually socially interact as and not have a hoarde of clerics trying to turn my arse. XP

Take the human heritage feat(Races of Destiny).  Changes your type to Humanoid(human).

So people would be all "TURN UNDEAD" and you'll be like "I'm not undead, jerk", and they'll be all "lolsorry".

As an added bonus: you keep undead traits.

Add on ghostly grasp (LM), which lets you interact normally with the material world if you so choose.  Be a myssssssssssssssterious stranger wearing a heavy black cloak.

How do you mix an acquired template with a feat you have to take at level one, and then apply it as if you got the feat after the template?

You apply things in the order that are most beneficial for you. So when you have both the feat and the Template, you can basically choose your type.

I was under the impression that you apply changes in the order you acquire them, and if you happen to acquire two changes at the same time, you choose what comes first.

You choose your race before your feats, according to the PHBs directions. Yes, this makes no sense in this case (the same objection comes up with Dragonspawn Dragonwrought Kobolds, which is where I was first made aware of this).
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

DoNotFeedTheHipsters

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Guys, Black Ethergaunt. +4 LA. 17th-level Wizard spellcasting and +20 intelligence (along with many other ability boosts), +15 natural armor, automatic immunity to arcane spells of level 6 or lower (but you can choose to let beneficial spells through)...

It's basically the bee's knees.

Aberration type, though, so maybe find some other template like Saint to hit it with if you don't want to be an... Ethergaunt ghost.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Guys, Black Ethergaunt. +4 LA. 17th-level Wizard spellcasting and +20 intelligence (along with many other ability boosts), +15 natural armor, automatic immunity to arcane spells of level 6 or lower (but you can choose to let beneficial spells through)...

It's basically the bee's knees.

Aberration type, though, so maybe find some other template like Saint to hit it with if you don't want to be an... Ethergaunt ghost.
And...how many HD do those have?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

DoNotFeedTheHipsters

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
And...how many HD do those have?

In this case, 0, since the OP said that the DM isn't adding racial HD to the LA. What, is it somehow worse in that regard than the Couatl or Rakshasa?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
They're starting at level 1, and there was mention of HD counting as LA, when present.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

DoNotFeedTheHipsters

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
They're starting at level 1, and there was mention of HD counting as LA, when present.

I'll wait for Eviltedzies to clarify, but since he didn't jump at the mentions of Coatls (9 HD, +7 La, ECL 16), Trumpet Archons (12 HD, +8 LA, ECL 20), Rakshasas (7 HD, +7 LA, ECL 14), or the Sharn (5 HD, +4 LA, ECL 9), then that when he said:

The DM does not add racial HD to the LA. He uses the LA as presented; or, if no LA for the creature is given he counts the creatures HD as its effective LA.

He meant exactly that. Ie, a creature's HD becomes its LA if it has no LA in the book, and otherwise its HD are waived. Ethergaunts have an explicit LA in their statblock.

So, like, nyah.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
I vote Sharn or 3.0e Rakshasa.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
I vote Sharn or 3.0e Rakshasa.

You would.  :p

Can you ask for bonus feats in lieu of LA? Like, 2 feats per point of Level Adjustment?

Make a dragonborn warforged (heart) crusader and get like 16 breath weapon feats.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 09:07:23 PM by Lycanthromancer »

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
... My interpretation was that racial HD would count as class levels like normal, and thus a great number of these suggestions are useless. That so?

(I would play a dragonspawn something but that's just my kobold self speaking, liking to tie myself to powerful evil dragons.)

Eviltedzies

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Live life. Otherwise you have none.
    • Email
We are starting at level 1. So effective we will be starting off at 1st level in a class with an extra +8 LA for free.

If the creature has a states LA in its description our DM uses that LA as the creatures total LA. He does not count HD towards the LA unless their is no listed LA for said creature.
Example:
LA 4 creature with 6 HD would count as an LA 4.
LA -- creature with 6 HD would count as an LA 6.

I hadn't thought about asking for free feats by trading in LA. I doubt he would go for it though as he knowns my tendancy for powergaming all too well.

As much as I would love a black ethergaunt I can almost say with certainty that he will make my life hell for cutting a slice of cheese that big.  :lol

Coatls, Trumpet Archons, and Rakashasas all seem interesting but I'm still curious to see what other possibilities exhist.  :smirk

I'm beginning to lean towards something that is preferably humanoid in shape. Definately something with an outsider type. And more than likely tacking on a few templates for added effect.

DM has okayed the Phantom template at a +2 LA. *drools*  :lmao
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.
It is truly a neverending cycle of nightmares.
Yet that is what we have been given.
Find your dreams where you may.
And live life like no other.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
Using those crazy rules I might go something like slyph, gloura, or maybe an anthropomophic bat with the Monster of Legend Template.  All are humanoid enough, just add wings.

If you really want to get weird I would consider a Guecubu from Fiendish Codex I and go with the fiend of possession PrC.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
Effective character level is LA + racial HD + class levels.  In order to play in a 1st level game, you must have ECL 1.  You've been clear that up to 8 LA can be ignored for calculating ECL.  You've given some indication that all racial HD can be ignored when calculating ECL.  Could you confirm that this is the case?  Supposing it is the case, do you still gain the benefits of the racial HD (e.g. HP, saves, base attack bonus, and skills)? 

Caelic

• Hong Kong
You could always go with a War Troll with a couple of templates.  Heaven knows they're sturdy enough.

Or, heck--play a Nazrathune Rakshasa and go into Assassin at level 1, since they automatically qualify.  Given their Change Shape ability, it can be as humanoid as you want, and with a +5 LA, you have some levels left over for that Phantom template, if you want it.

A Phantom Dark humanoid panther assassin just wins points for style.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 10:26:06 PM by Caelic »

Eviltedzies

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Live life. Otherwise you have none.
    • Email
When I meant a not so sane DM I meant it.

ECL = Class levels + LA
OR (If no LA is given)
ECL = Class levels + HD

And in both cases we can "buyoff" up to 8 HD/LA.

And yes you still gain the benefits of racials HD and everything that imposes.
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.
It is truly a neverending cycle of nightmares.
Yet that is what we have been given.
Find your dreams where you may.
And live life like no other.