Author Topic: Not so sane DM allowing LA +8 buyoff. Need help with possible race choices.  (Read 15255 times)

Eviltedzies

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Live life. Otherwise you have none.
    • Email
Just like the title says. My DM is allowing me to buyoff up to a +8 LA for my yet to be created character.

Race/Template: What I need your help with.

I tried reading up on some of the LA threads but none of them dared go so for as a +6 LA. Any links to reading material or creature suggestions would be awesome.
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.
It is truly a neverending cycle of nightmares.
Yet that is what we have been given.
Find your dreams where you may.
And live life like no other.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
Are you starting at level 1?  How does your DM feel about racial HD, do those get dropped as well?
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Phrenic Prodigy Ghost 

Pick your favorite prestige class that abuses some Ghost granted ability.

the_shadowmind

Sharn, 4 HD 5 LA. 6th level favored soul and sorcerer casting, 3 standard actions a round, some nice immunities and abilities with great stat adjustments.
Note: Not to be used with sane DM's.

Eviltedzies

• Email
We are starting at level 1.
The DM does not add racial HD to the LA. He uses the LA as presented; or, if no LA for the creature is given he counts the creatures HD as its effective LA.

Ghost does sound like fun but I would prefer something that I could actually socially interact as and not have a hoarde of clerics trying to turn my arse. XP

As for Sharn.... ohhh the cheese. The cheese. :lmao
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.

Jopustopin

Phrenic for free is a thing of beauty nonetheless.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
If he doesn't add the HD to the LA, then a Rakshasa might be an amazing choice.  It is only +7 LA (ignoring the 7 racial HD), and you end up with fantastic SR and DR, and 7th level sorcerer casting.  Tack on a silly little +1 LA template (Draconic maybe?) and you're set.

If I'm misunderstanding the way HD is being used, then ignore the above.

What type of character do you want?  Melee?  Spellcaster?  Sneak?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Ghost does sound like fun but I would prefer something that I could actually socially interact as and not have a hoarde of clerics trying to turn my arse. XP

Take the human heritage feat(Races of Destiny).  Changes your type to Humanoid(human).

So people would be all "TURN UNDEAD" and you'll be like "I'm not undead, jerk", and they'll be all "lolsorry".

As an added bonus: you keep undead traits.

Add on ghostly grasp (LM), which lets you interact normally with the material world if you so choose.  Be a myssssssssssssssterious stranger wearing a heavy black cloak.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
If he doesn't add the HD to the LA, then a Rakshasa might be an amazing choice.

If that is how things are being handled, trumpet archon would be even better.  You get casting as a 14th level cleric, greater teleport at will, continuous magic circle against evil, and possibly a free +4 greatsword. 

Amadi

• Email
Most sane DMs would not allow that, though, TML. Then again, his DM clearly is not sane, so it's a moot point.

Gravetouched Ghoul with Evolved 6 times is a serious possibility for a melee-oriented monk-ish character, or anything charisma-based. Starting at level 1, you fast-heal more than your HP each round, which is hilarious.

----------

If I got the no HD to LA correctly, the DM does force you to take the racial HD, if you have any.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Most sane DMs would not allow that, though, TML. Then again, his DM clearly is not sane, so it's a moot point.
Well, my reasoning is if it reverses type changes from templates that apply the outsider or dragon types (half-celestial and half-dragon), why not undead?
Planetouched Handbook

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
If that is how things are being handled, trumpet archon would be even better.  You get casting as a 14th level cleric, greater teleport at will, continuous magic circle against evil, and possibly a free +4 greatsword.  

Actually, isn't the Firre Eladrin (BoED) +8 LA?  Polymorph at will, unlimited uses of Bardic Music, Cleric casting, etc.

Heck, even a couatl becomes a great choice.  Sorcerer casting with full access to the cleric spell list?  Sure, why not.  (And you're all set to take Mindsight.)

Eviltedzies

• Email
The DM reserves the right to smite me if I pick something rediculous and go walking around the world as it. (Aka lets say an archon or an incubus ect) I know from experience this DM has many NPC's that are always on the look out for "interesting" creatures or people to... acquire? Heheh XP

A few key things I was working towards.....

1. I want to "try" and strike a balance between 5/10 optimized and 10/10 optimized as far as race/templates go. That way it is less likely for my DM to smack me later. :D
2. I definately want to have some type of Outsider type for polymorph/alter self shinanigans.
3. I like versitility and immunites more than raw power.
4. Following the theme of versitility, my class will probobly be Factotum 8/Chameleon 10/ X 2 (Note DM houseruled Able Learner is available to any race.)

Right now I haven't found a base race that I like yet, but I have found 3 templates I am discussing with my DM.
The Darkshadow Phantom!
Dark template from Tome of Magic (+1 LA)
Shadow template from Lords of Madness (+2 LA) Not sure if this is a remake of the Dark template though.
Phantom template from MM5. (LA 0) LA 0 for incorperability at will?  :lmao
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Phantom template from MM5. (LA 0) LA 0 for incorperability at will?  :lmao
Uh, that's level adjustment --, not 0.
-- means that it can't be a player character.
Planetouched Handbook

Eviltedzies

• Email
I will be speaking to my DM then........ cause I'm sure we can work something out.  :smirk
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Phrenic Spark Half-Fey Dark Fey'ri w/ Magic in the Blood feat.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Template stack or take the opportunity to play something you'll never get to play again. Like Mistling. Or Vampire.

Mixster

• Grape ape
Half-Dragon Ghost Saint.

Immunity to all energy types (except sonic), fast healing, and immunity to most mundane attacks. Pretty much only force effects can damage you.

If you play a warblade or a powerful caster, you should be able to get out of any battlefield control thrown at you, and at levels 1-5 shield pretty much makes you immune to damage.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Lo77o

• Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email

Take the human heritage feat(Races of Destiny).  Changes your type to Humanoid(human).

So people would be all "TURN UNDEAD" and you'll be like "I'm not undead, jerk", and they'll be all "lolsorry".

Add on ghostly grasp (LM), which lets you interact normally with the material world if you so choose.  Be a myssssssssssssssterious stranger wearing a heavy black cloak.

How do you mix an acquired template with a feat you have to take at level one, and then apply it as if you got the feat after the template?
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

Mixster

• Grape ape

How do you mix an acquired template with a feat you have to take at level one, and then apply it as if you got the feat after the template?

You apply things in the order that are most beneficial for you. So when you have both the feat and the Template, you can basically choose your type.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out