Author Topic: Barbarian and [unknown] class Help?  (Read 1221 times)

Alethiar

• Monkey bussiness
Barbarian and [unknown] class Help?
« on: January 30, 2011, 12:45:04 PM »
Hi, I was looking for possible builds for a new campaign starting in a little while with my group. The campaign is a little different from normal D&D: the magical classes available to us are only the spontaneous casters, i.e. sorcerer and not wizard, mystic(? cannot remember exactly, got distracted when the GM explained ) instead of cleric, etc.

Races and magical classes are taken from the Pathfinder corebook. The Books available for use are:
3.5 Core
Complete Warrior/Divine/arcane
Psionic / Complete Psionic
and maybe Complete Champion.

Spells belonging to the Polymorph family are forbidden, as is the Warshaper class, but the polymorph-like abilities given from the other classes (druid, bear warrior, etc.) are ok. Strange point-buy on, basically initial stats can be 7-20, all stats start at 10 and we got 24 points (i.e. 3 stats go at 18 and 3 stays at 10). We start at 4th level and we'll probably reach 20 if not going even to Epic levels.

With that given, I was looking for two builds: one for my friend, who would like to play Barbarian, and one for me, who has no idea what class to do since the main roles in the group are covered (we are 7 people, but still no Rogue, maybe some class helping with traps without being a glass cannon?)

So, ideas? Powerleveling is encouraged, just not in extreme form... and of course, the more details, the better!

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
Re: Barbarian and [unknown] class Help?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 01:28:08 PM »
Factotum is good for a Skill Monkey, and you'll be more than viable in combat if you have Iajutsu Focus, Wands, and TONS of Inspiration Points.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 02:47:55 PM »
If Complete Champion is on the table, the barbarian should use the lion totem variant, which exchanges fast movement for the ability to make a full attack at the end of a charge. 

He should take extra rage (Complete Warrior), so he's up to 3 or 4 daily uses of rage to start.  Multiclassing a bit with fighter is good. 

Bear in mind, factotum is from Dungeonscape and iaijutsu focus is from Oriental Adventures, which weren't listed as available books. 

If it might be possible to get additional books approved, Player's Handbook II has beguiler, which gets almost the entire rogue skill list, 6+int skill points per level, and spontaneous casting based on int, mostly limited to enchantment and illusion spells. 

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 04:39:29 PM »
It's not just that the Factotum is better than the rogue (both have trapfinding).  It's that the Factotum is more fun to play.  Ask your DM if you can use the class from Dungeonscape.