Author Topic: Optimising a Metalhead Bard! (clone of WotC post)  (Read 2192 times)

Heliomance

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Optimising a Metalhead Bard! (clone of WotC post)
« on: July 12, 2008, 01:59:17 PM »
I'm in a slightly odd game at the moment. It uses D&D rules, but is in a modern setting. This is my character at the moment, wondering where I should head n the future. Current build is non-negotiable; the game's already started.

Level 10 tiefling (1 LA bought off)

Bard 5/Disciple of Metal 5

STR 13
DEX 20
CON 16
INT 17
WIS 9
CHA 14

Feats:
Toughness
Weapon Focus (Greataxe)
Craft Magic Arms and Armour
Monkey Grip

Items of note:
Gloves of dex +2
Large keen masterwork greataxe (it's my guitar)
Large assault rifle, 4d6, 20/x4
Armour: Chain shirt (max dex 5, ACP 0 due to class ability)

Where should I go from here? I want to keep on with the metalhead theme, RP wise, and I think DoM is the best for that. As for allowed source material, it's case by case. No stinky cheese will be allowed though.

Tome of Battle is probably not great, largely because I don't actually understand it.  If there's anything particularly good in there though, let me know and I'll see.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Re: Optimising a Metalhead Bard! (clone of WotC post)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
Maybe you could stick in a few Dirgesinger levels... though to be honest they're only really good for Goth Metal.

Sublime Chord is an option if you care about the spellcasting.

It all really depends on what kind of metalhead you wanna be.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 06:25:58 PM »
There's nothing wrong with "goth metal." More over to imply that only goths have dirges and laments is fallacious at best; go listen to My Dying Bride or most any doom metal band or depressive black metal (don't really recommend that latter, black metal is hit-and-miss with a large miss-to-hit ratio). Doubly more over, "goth metal" isn't a genre.

I really don't like the Disciple of Metal class and I never have. Mostly because it's a huge stereotype and mockery of the "typical" metalhead and metal band. And slo because it uses Dragonforce, Pantera, Dimmu and Cradle of Filth as inspiration (bands that have done more harm than good, except Dimmu, they just annoy me). Not to mention Disturbed and Godsmack aren't actually metal at all....[rantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrant]

Alright, sorry about that. Just sometimes get out of hand.

Dirgesinger is a good class for debuffers. Though, I've found that the feat Doomspeak replaces it. Unless you really want that undead minion, go with the Doomspeak feat. Though it looks like DoM gets a similar ability. Just stick with DoM and take Doomspeak. Done and done.

Tome of Battle is great for anything. It's manuever system allows you to splash on one or two levels and have those levels scale unlike with other systems (magic, psionics, the various variant magic systems [except incarnum]). Crusader + Bard + Song of the White Raven. And I know how it is to not understand it. But one night, get your hands on it and sit by the fire with a cup of hot cocoa and read through it. Soon, you two will be gossiping about that hot girl down the street like you were old buddies. Trust me. It happened to me.

A warrior bard is always fun (plus suits what you're already doing kinda): Look at Complete Adventurer, around page 105 (I think), there's a feat called Devoted Performer. Now find a copy of Unearthed Arcana and find the variant paladins (since I'm running on the assumption you're evil). Go LE Bard 4/Monk 1/Paladin 15. Feats: Ascetic Knight, Devoted Performer, Ascetic Mage. Then if you can find a way to divorce the Initiate of Milil feat from it's namesake's alignment, grab that up as well. Alternatively, don't take Ascetic Mage and wear armor/take the Dragon Husk option from Dragon Magic/Races of the Dragon/Draconomic. Be sure to use a Monk's Belt or take Superior Unarmed Strike. Pummel stuffs with fists and weapons. =D If you go this route, be sure to get your fists enhanced.

Equipment:
Get that greataxe fixed. Keen is a horrible enhancement. Waste of a +1. Get the wizard to cast Keen Edge on it. INSTEAD, get it harmonized. If you must keep keen, at least convince the DM that improved critical or something will stack with it.

As for keeping with the "metal" theme, you don't need a class to do that. How do you stay metal? You don't give in to anyone; you maintain your beliefs even in the face of adversity; you do not, under any circumstance, let someone else control your life. To be metal you need to be yourself, not what anyone expects of you. Metal isn't killing dragons or being a barbarian or sexing up a princess. Look at all the lame people that do those things, they aren't metal. But the guy who went against the grain and put a picture of a student burning the American flag on the front of his school newspaper, he is metal. Martin Luther King Jr. when he stood up and said No, we're not gonna take this abuse anymore. He is metal. Anyone that has ever stood up for anything even when the deck was stacked against him, they are metal. Yes, even the bad guys who stood up from their beliefs are metal.

Question your character. Is he doing this because he wants to, because he has an unwavering devotion to a cause or belief that has lead him here? Or is he doing it because the fighter threatened to stick that greataxe up his butt if he didn't come along and sing songs?

Being metal is a less an aspect of mechanics and more of roleplaying. Put together a good build and couple it with good roleplaying.

Heliomance

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 08:15:18 PM »
Actually, I'm Chaotic Neutral. The entire party is :)
Initiate of Milil might be a tad tricky; it's in a completely homebrew world with a different cosmology, and the gods don't actually exist. Divine magic comes from belief in a cause or concept rather than a deity granting stuff, this is why in our party we have a cleric of rock and roll.

We have no wizard; our only primary arcane caster is a pyromaniac sorceror. They know virtually no spells that aren't fire related somehow.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 03:35:47 PM »
Sheesh, Kurashu, chill out. I wasn't trying to offend anyone's sensitivities here. Further, I never implied there was something wrong with "Goth Metal", the genre that doesn't exist -- just that Dirgesinger wouldn't fit his bill if he didn't want to be a "gothy" metalhead. You don't need to have a cow over it.  :)
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 02:20:19 AM »
Sheesh, Kurashu, chill out. I wasn't trying to offend anyone's sensitivities here. Further, I never implied there was something wrong with "Goth Metal", the genre that doesn't exist -- just that Dirgesinger wouldn't fit his bill if he didn't want to be a "gothy" metalhead. You don't need to have a cow over it.  :)

I wasn't offended over it. I was having a rough day (oh the things that can go wrong in retail). Sorry for flipping out like that.