Author Topic: Need help with my first 3.5 character (thinking Beguiler)  (Read 2362 times)

Failedlegend

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Need help with my first 3.5 character (thinking Beguiler)
« on: January 24, 2011, 11:27:40 AM »
Hey guys I haven't played 3.5 in a LONG time (and IIRC we only played a game or two...and probably did it wrong :P) and other than the DM no one else our group has ever played so were a little inexperienced the closest thing we got to playing is the PC adaptations such NWN or Baldur's gate so yeah not much.

Anyways I'm hoping to get some help creating a Con Artist type character (Merchant by day thief by night with a little crossover both ways....and a little magic too) that uses magic to assist her in achieving that as well as her looks (one of the main reasons i decided on female) I'm thinking a focus on illusion/enchantment magic. Probably a Beguiler because its a good mix of rogue and Wizard.

Oh here's the books I have access to (tell me if any are unofficial...also feel free to suggest books my local library has a decent collection):

Note: The game isn't in any particular setting our only restrictions are official books only and no Half-Orcs or Drow (dunno why but DM says so)

- Ebberon: Dragonmarked
- Book of Exalted Deeds
- Champion of Ruin/Valor
- Complete Adventurer/Arcane/Champion/Divine/Mage/Psionic/Scoundrel/Warrior
- DMG 1/2
- Expanded Psionic Handbook
- Hero Builder's Guidebook
- Magic of Faerun/Incarnum/Rokugan/Ebberon
- PHB1/2/3
- Player's Guide to Faerun
- Races of Destiny/Ebberon/Ebberon/Faerun/Stone/Dragon/Wild
- City of Splendors: Waterdeep

Anyways here's what I came up with so far (rolled 5D6 Best 3) I'm not really sure how the Shadowcraft mages ability to use evocation and conjuration spells work though.

Desert Gnome Worshipper of Shar (Goddess of Secrets) Beguiler11/SA1/ScM5/NMS3

Stats (after racials...rolled 5D6 Best 3)

Str 10
Dex 16
Con 19
Int 18
Wis 16
Cha 16

1 Beguiler 1 - Shadow Weave Magic  
  2 Beguiler 2
  3 Beguiler 3 - Heighten Spell
  4 Beguiler 4
  5 Beguiler 5 [Silent Spell]
  6 Beguiler 6
  7 Shadow Adept 1 - Spell Focus (illusion) [Insidious,Pernicious and Tenacious Magic]
  8 Beguiler 7
  9 Shadowcraft Mage 1  - Enhanced Shadow Reality
  10 Shadowcraft Mage 2
  11 Shadowcraft Mage 3
  12 Shadowcraft Mage 4 - Earth Sense
  13 Shadowcraft Mage 5
  14 Beguiler 8
  15 Beguiler 9 - Earth Spell
  16 Beguiler 10 [Still Spell]
  17 Nightmare Spinner 1
  18 Nightmare Spinner 2  - Practical Metamagic (Heighten Spell)
  19 Nightmare Spinner 3
  20 Beguiler 11

Skills (10 Skill Points per lvl):

1 - Bluff
2 - Hide
3 - Move Silently
4 - Concentration
5 - Sleight of Hand
6 - Disable Device
7 - Listen
8 - Spot
9 - Search
10 - Use Magic Device
Also some pre-reqs.
Skill Tricks: Conceal Spellcasting,Swift Concentration, Collector of Stories

Books Used:
PHB1/2
Complete Mage
Complete Scoundrel
PG to Faerun
Races of Stone
Unearthed Arcana
Various books that contain Sorc/Wiz spells

stranglebat

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Need help with my first 3.5 character (thinking Beguiler)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 12:09:22 PM »
Seems good to me, i was making something very similar with a whisper gnome from Races of Stone. My DM canned using Forgotten realms so i changed Shadow adept to Mindbender (complete arcane) for 100 ft telepathy and a nice boost to saves with decent skills (mainly telepathy though).

A class you might want to look at finishing off with is Shadowcrafter from Underdark (The Forgotten realms book) its got alot of synergy and with what your doing already should be simple to get into.

Shadow Craft mages can use the listed spells in their 3rd level ability Shadowpower, they are mostly the image spells, to replicate any Conjuration (creation), Conjuration (Summoning) or Evocation spell. Enemies get a will save to disbelieve the illusion in addition to their normal save for that spell, on a successful save your ability is only as potent as your shadow illusion can be ( (10% x spell level) + enhanced reality)) so if you use a lvl 5 spell to cast a fireball at caster level 10 your fireball on a successful will save failed reflex save will deal 7d6 (70%) damage.

Worth noting that casting time of the spell is 1 standard action so SCMs excel at casting there shadow spells to replicate spells that have longer cast times, how would you like cast summon monster and have it appear attack and then still be able to move? :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 12:22:31 PM by stranglebat »

Failedlegend

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 12:12:44 PM »
Seems good to me, i was making something very similar with a whisper gnome from Races of Stone. My DM canned using Forgotten realms so i changed Shadow adept to Mindbender (complete arcane) for 100 ft telepathy and a nice boost to saves with decent skills (mainly telepathy though).

A class you might want to look at finishing off with is Shadowcrafter from Underdark (The Forgotten realms book) its got alot of synergy and with what your doing already should be simple to get into.

Shadowcrafter looks pretty awesome but im worried about keeping my skills up.....also I'm running out of lvls (only 11 beguiler lvls left)

stranglebat

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 12:18:52 PM »
Remember alot of your spells can really boost your skills, like Glibness for a cool +30 to bluff while telling fibs

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 01:01:41 PM »

Magic trumps skills at high levels. Are you starting from level 1? See if you can get your GM to refluff the Shadowcraft Mage to a non-rascist version. Changelings from the Eberron are fantastic tricksters and con artists at low level.

Otherwise your build looks solid.

Failedlegend

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 01:25:44 PM »
We're starting at lvl 7 and actually I really like the Desert Gnome not exactly stat wise but I like their flavor