Author Topic: The Gemini Dancer  (Read 3762 times)

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
The Gemini Dancer
« on: January 23, 2011, 03:06:29 AM »

Said class is found here: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Gemini_Dancer_%283.5e_Class%29

I found it while I was thinking of builds for CantripN's game, and I'm wondering how to make it work. Right now its pretty damn MAD and I'm not sure what its good for.

Doesn't have any sources of damage to make light weapons really kick, not sure about the legality of combining PA and Elven Courtblade. Well made gish does eveything it does and better, but I'm trying to move away from gishes. Anyone had good experiences with this class?

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
Re: The Gemini Dancer
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 05:10:07 AM »
Temporal Twist is really good, you know. And there are things like Slippers of Battledancing, Snowflake Wardance...
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 07:53:10 AM »

If you go as a Cha focused meleer sure, but most of those tricks involve getting Cha to AC and damage several times over. Thats prohibited in your game right?

Temporal twist is sweet, but I'm afraid without CO tech its not optimised enough to swing its share of the weight.

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 08:07:51 AM »
Temporal Twist is really good, you know. And there are things like Slippers of Battledancing, Snowflake Wardance...

Okay, I'm crazy. I thought you were talking about the Whirl of the Wind dances  :P Whats Temporal Twist, and whats it do?

Aliment

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Illithid Zombies
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 12:55:20 PM »
Temporal Tread, lesser
Prerequisite: Base Attack Bonus +3, Gemini Dance class feature
Benefit: Once per dance, you may create an effect similar to time stop, as the spell, with the following exceptions. The duration is 1
round and you may only take move-equivalent actions during this period. Your Gemini companion may act during this period as well as
you. All of the normal restrictions for actions during time stop apply as well. Activating this ability is a swift action.

And it gets better from there. (Full Time stop + short Haste every dance).

I'm right now trying to figure out which Dance style would work the best with a spiked chain trip build, I don't think Temporal Tread is it.  The Whirl of Wind one should work, as a flying spiked chain user would just be awesome.

So lets see, I would want Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, EWP (Chain), Extra Dance (so I'm ready for every encounter).  As a Human I could be finished by level 6, ready to take some juicy feats like Combat Reflexes.  Nothing says "movement" like a 30' teleport as a move action.  Now if only I had a feat that mixed Gemini dance progression with Skirmish progression.
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"

Aliment

• Illithid Zombies
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 02:02:19 PM »
Also, I can't tell if a Gemini companion (or any of its versions) can make Attacks of Opportunity.  If they can then Spiked chain just got so awesome.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 11:35:03 PM »
I have to support taking Ghostly Grace, just for the whole "I have Greater Blink on me constantly while dancing, neener neener neener."

Slaying Sway could be neat, especially since you essentially get "we both hurt you, you die" once you get Perfect Companion (or whatever that feature is called.)
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Phoenix00

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 12:10:45 AM »
So you will want a spiked chained as your main weapon since it is finessable and you can use it as a two handed weapon.  Furthermore you can move and attack with this base class similar to a dervish.  Finally a spiked chain can change its reach due to its flexibile nature.

Remember if you take 1 level of Barbarian you can always charge with pounce all the while still doing your gemini dance.

I am thinking this class will combine well with barbarian and fighter for a tripper build.  Whirling Frenzy Barbarian, Gemini Dance, and Haste gives you 3 extra attacks per round not counting your BAB.  Gemini Dance boosts your Dex so you get 2 extra AoO when you trip someone.  Barbarian boosts your strength, and Fighter gives you the feats that you need.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 12:30:25 AM »
I haven't seen this class in years. I remember when it was first conceived and, wow was it popular over at the WotC boards. I never liked it then. But, now looking at it, it must have been edited extensively and thoroughly cleaned up. Pretty slick class, especially with all of those interesting Dance Style feats.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 09:16:14 AM »
Has anyone ever made dvati RSLs for this? Because they should.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 09:31:36 AM »
Temporal Tread, lesser
Prerequisite: Base Attack Bonus +3, Gemini Dance class feature
Benefit: Once per dance, you may create an effect similar to time stop, as the spell, with the following exceptions. The duration is 1
round and you may only take move-equivalent actions during this period. Your Gemini companion may act during this period as well as
you. All of the normal restrictions for actions during time stop apply as well. Activating this ability is a swift action.

And it gets better from there. (Full Time stop + short Haste every dance).

I'm right now trying to figure out which Dance style would work the best with a spiked chain trip build, I don't think Temporal Tread is it.  The Whirl of Wind one should work, as a flying spiked chain user would just be awesome.

So lets see, I would want Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, EWP (Chain), Extra Dance (so I'm ready for every encounter).  As a Human I could be finished by level 6, ready to take some juicy feats like Combat Reflexes.  Nothing says "movement" like a 30' teleport as a move action.  Now if only I had a feat that mixed Gemini dance progression with Skirmish progression.

Is T. Tread found on the Gemini Dance feats page? Because I've been scanning the page a few times and can't spot it. Thanks.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 09:36:03 AM »
It's there. Possibly not in the one I linked, because that's not the thread itself, and may be missing a few little options.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Aliment

• Illithid Zombies
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 12:22:12 AM »
So you will want a spiked chained as your main weapon since it is finessable and you can use it as a two handed weapon.  Furthermore you can move and attack with this base class similar to a dervish.  Finally a spiked chain can change its reach due to its flexibile nature.

Remember if you take 1 level of Barbarian you can always charge with pounce all the while still doing your gemini dance.

I am thinking this class will combine well with barbarian and fighter for a tripper build.  Whirling Frenzy Barbarian, Gemini Dance, and Haste gives you 3 extra attacks per round not counting your BAB.  Gemini Dance boosts your Dex so you get 2 extra AoO when you trip someone.  Barbarian boosts your strength, and Fighter gives you the feats that you need.

The problem is that the class has multiclass restrictions.  Its irritating that someone would put these on after the fail that was Monk and Paladin, but its there.  I was also thinking about how amazing Robilar's gambit would be, as it is so easy to get your Dex high with this class.  So it's fairly feat starved if you want to do something fancy, and I feel like a couple of the dance styles are underpowered (the elemental dances, which only give some resistance and 1d6 bonus damage).

Round process with Spiked chain:
1. Dance, Time Stop (get into position/drink potion, wrap chain around opponents legs), Full Attack (with +2 # of attacks) trying to trip as many as possible, activate Gambit
2. Rack up the AoO, putting as many on the floor as possible
3, ???
4. PROFIT!

Pounce works better with other Styles (Lunging Leaps).  I think if possible, a little Stormguard warrior would allow her to nova on the second round.

Q: The second part of Stormguard Warrior allows you to rack up a bunch of melee touch attacks to boost your real attacks next round.  If you were to time stop (where you can't attack) and use all touch attacks against your opponent, when do you get your damage bonus?  The round in which you time stopped, or the next round?  Or is it incredibly munchkin to make touch attacks against an opponent who you can't regular attack?

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 11:15:54 PM »
I have to support taking Ghostly Grace, just for the whole "I have Greater Blink on me constantly while dancing, neener neener neener."

Slaying Sway could be neat, especially since you essentially get "we both hurt you, you die" once you get Perfect Companion (or whatever that feature is called.)

Perfect Dance is at level 20.  You can't get Perfect level dance style feats until epic.

Also, CantripN said to ignore the multiclassing restriction on the Dancer.

*is making a Dvati Bard/Gemini Dancer*

EDIT: Where can i find the "temporal" dance?  I seem to have missed it.

Or is it incredibly munchkin to make touch attacks against an opponent who you can't regular attack?

I think that's just fine and dandy.  Then again, I advocate using Winter Mask with Stormguard Warrior, on the basis that it does no damage (but force save or be fatigued)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 11:30:59 PM by fuinjutsu »
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 12:02:59 AM »
I think gemini danceer would make an interesting entry into revenant blade, which would give bonus damage from power attack use.  Something like...

Wild Elf Gemini Dancer 8/Revenant Blade 5
Feats:
1: Aereni Focus (Iajutsu Focus)
3: Two-Weapon Fighting
4: Extra Dance
6: Bladebearer of the Valenar
9: WF: Scimitar
9: Improved Critical
9: Weapon Spec (Scimitar)
11: Great Cleave
12: Power Attack
13: Spring Attack

Aliment

• Illithid Zombies
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 09:45:35 PM »
So moving away from trip builds, I'm aiming to make a ~CR9 encounter involving a Gemini dancer that will leave the party trying to figure out what they just fought, similar to the Veteran Story included.

I was thinking of just having 2 of them, and getting Fire and Ice, but seeing how week those dances were, I'm siding against it.  The Air dance wouldn't evoke a very good dance, Temporal Twist wouldn't show enough, and Bloody Ballet would probably just be too horrific. :blush

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 04:12:42 AM »
Stroll of stars.  Your party will think they've run into a Totemist with Shadow Mantle
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

Aliment

• Illithid Zombies
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 12:25:35 PM »
Stroll of stars.  Your party will think they've run into a Totemist with Shadow Mantle

I might just go that way, although I doubt any of my party knows what a Totemist is!  I'm still trying to convince 1/2 of them that there are some great (and balanced) options outside of core.

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 07:46:06 PM »

I might just go that way, although I doubt any of my party knows what a Totemist is!  I'm still trying to convince 1/2 of them that there are some great (and balanced) options outside of core.

But core doesn't have any balanced options anyway, so why do they care?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 10:17:20 PM »

But core doesn't have any balanced options anyway, so why do they care?
Rogue, barbarian, and ranger are pretty balanced. 
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.