Author Topic: His advice is heavy on the min maxing!  (Read 15118 times)

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
Re: His advice is heavy on the min maxing!
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2011, 05:30:07 PM »
My favorite characters where bard with the blade kit (most awesome character ever, within 30 minutes you wear all adventurer's mart and know most of deidre's spells :p - even solo) and berserker/cleric, which basically gets immunity to nearly everything ^-^
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2011, 05:47:54 PM »
Or how about a swashbuckler/wizard duel-class in BG2, that's basically a tri-class character.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2011, 05:57:37 PM »
My favorite characters where bard with the blade kit (most awesome character ever, within 30 minutes you wear all adventurer's mart and know most of deidre's spells :p - even solo) and berserker/cleric, which basically gets immunity to nearly everything ^-^

I am rather partial to Fighter/Mage/Thief myself

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2011, 08:14:35 PM »
Hey, they're right.  Monks do boast colorful and unique abilities.  Just, you know, not so many actually potent abilities. 

Still, stuff like this is a good reminder that the way the game is supposed to be played (as the designers intended it) is much lower powered than the game as it's made.  Tier 5 is actually what you're supposed to play... healbot Clerics and blaster Wizards supporting TWF Fighters and, well, Monks, with the Druid wielding a Scimitar in normal form in the background.  Monks and Fighters weren't the mistakes... Clerics, Druids, and Wizards were. 

JaronK

Except that they forgot to mention that the DM has to blatantly cheat to avoid killing the party this way. Which is what happened to the playtesters. I mean come on. If you fail a Beholder save, on a non 1 it's time to delete and reroll in real life.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2011, 08:16:19 PM »
Remember that in the original game you were SUPPOSED to die a lot, whip up backup characters, and run right back in there.  But the playtesters didn't want to deal with the hassle of making new characters, so they just cheated a little to keep the flow going. 

But this is a good example of why you never do that.  If you have to cheat to keep things rolling, stop and figure out why you had to do that, and fix it.

JaronK

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2011, 08:16:39 PM »
One of the expectations was that your character had a good chance of dying over the course of their career.  As a part of the design goals, they actually balanced quite well for that.

Besides, making a new character is as simple as adding another roman numeral to your sheet.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2011, 08:18:30 PM »
Remember that in the original game you were SUPPOSED to die a lot, whip up backup characters, and run right back in there.  But the playtesters didn't want to deal with the hassle of making new characters, so they just cheated a little to keep the flow going. 

But this is a good example of why you never do that.  If you have to cheat to keep things rolling, stop and figure out why you had to do that, and fix it.

JaronK

LOL LONG CHARACTER GENERATION.

Maybe you're thinking of earlier editions? Because that's not true in 3.x. In 3.x they were incredibly short sighted, and missed out on Iterative Probability entirely. It wasn't intentional.

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2011, 08:57:58 PM »
Well yes, I am thinking of earlier editions, because the people who playtested 3.5 WERE people who'd been playing since the very beginning, and had all the old biases from the earlier games (which included randomly dying to monsters, having to be REALLY NICE to your animal companion, not being in Wild Shape most of the time, etc).  Dying a lot was just part of the old equation. 

So yes, a lot of the playtest assumptions were treating 3.5 as though it were 3.0, or AD&D, or who knows what.  And a lot of what happened as a result was because of those assumptions.  People who came into the game at 3.5 didn't have those assumptions, so they stopped doing things like avoiding Wild Shape and not using your Animal Companion and expecting to die regularly.

JaronK

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2011, 09:06:19 PM »

I am rather partial to Fighter/Mage/Thief myself

I was, too, but i then learned that in expansion caster level matters.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2011, 11:13:37 PM »
Maybe you're thinking of earlier editions? Because that's not true in 3.x. In 3.x they were incredibly short sighted, and missed out on Iterative Probability entirely. It wasn't intentional.
I think there was a lot of high level clerics playing the wish economy, and doing things for the LOLZ. Which lead to  very easy access to True Resurrection.
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2011, 11:18:40 PM »
Hey, they're right.  Monks do boast colorful and unique abilities.  Just, you know, not so many actually potent abilities. 

JaronK

Except that they forgot to mention that the DM has to blatantly cheat to avoid killing the party this way. Which is what happened to the playtesters. I mean come on. If you fail a Beholder save, on a non 1 it's time to delete and reroll in real life.

How is that different from monsters like the bodak, medusa or heck, t-rex (swallow whole)? Their version of "uses up 25% of the party's resources" seems to involve killing at least 1 PC with their gaze attack before the rest focus-fire and KO it in the next round.
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2011, 10:27:09 AM »

JaronK

How is that different from monsters like the bodak, medusa or heck, t-rex (swallow whole)? Their version of "uses up 25% of the party's resources" seems to involve killing at least 1 PC with their gaze attack before the rest focus-fire and KO it in the next round.

All of those except the T-Rex have low DCs, so competent characters are fine. The T-Rex is trivialized in other ways, because it has low Int. No, I do not necessarily mean Ray of Stupidity.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2011, 11:13:42 AM »
silent image?  :smirk

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2011, 11:50:37 AM »

Best hypothesis circa 2005 was T-Rex had bad eyesight, but eh, its D&D. Paleontology buffs feel free to chime in if theres something more recent.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2011, 11:52:35 AM »
Good eyesight + low Int equals being fooled by illusions.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2011, 12:06:14 PM »

Best hypothesis circa 2005 was T-Rex had bad eyesight, but eh, its D&D. Paleontology buffs feel free to chime in if theres something more recent.

Bulls have bad eyesight and are fooled by moving pieces of cloth.

I you could just make the silent image flashy enough to fool the T-rex.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2011, 12:16:03 PM »

Bulls have bad eyesight and are fooled by moving pieces of cloth.

I you could just make the silent image flashy enough to fool the T-rex.

Just have some hazy (maybe garish? do dinasaurs have colour vision?  ???) movement that look vaguely medium sized and it should be T-Rex prepped.

Random question, are there any animals in the MMs that actually hunt based off Scent? Any rules for them? Because if there isn't, Silent Image's horizons just expanded in my campaign.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2011, 06:10:45 AM »
Or heck, remorhaz instead of T-rex. It would ambush the party by springing out of the snow, swallowing a PC and then burrowing away, so no chance of distracting it with summons or illusions. Plus at that lv, you can't yet afford to reliably buff the whole party with freedom of movement.

Plus, the t-res has scent. How are you fooling it with illusions? I am not saying it is overpowered. Just that it is no fun for that one PC who got eaten up. My experience with it was "T-rex charges in 1st round, gobbles up a player (with a grapple mod of +30, you really have no chance of winning), the rest spam damage in subsequent rounds in a bid to gut it before the hapless fighter gets digested. And as luck would have it, the fighter had no light weapon." :p

Granted, facing monsters with gaze attacks, I just remembered you could simply close your eyes and suck up a 50% miss chance, since their damage output is pretty much negligible.   :rollseyes
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2011, 06:37:42 AM »
Plus, the t-res has scent. How are you fooling it with illusions? [/quote[
What is the smell of a rock wall?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2011, 07:02:55 AM »
Plus, the t-res has scent. How are you fooling it with illusions?
What is the smell of a rock wall?
It'd still smell him through the illusory rock wall, and might poke it with his nose to check what's going on, so it'd still be entitled to a will save at least.