Author Topic: CantripN's game. All the cool kids are applying.  (Read 19190 times)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: CantripN's game. All the cool kids are applying.
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 07:58:31 PM »
I have a pixie. Too bad Firefox ate my finished version...
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 12:40:18 AM »
I don't think it ate it entirely here it is

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=268926

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 03:15:06 AM »
I would make my own thread, but I think I'll just be a squatter in Agita's to avoid adding to my new topic count.

Well, it's been a while since I last had a chance to play a ghost, so I'm going to try for that.

Now, if you've read the rules here... err, here, you might be saying
"But Linguist Guy!  You must be Crazy to try that.  The rules clearly state 'no undead' in a manner that clearly exemplifies our society's inherent prejudices against those of other energy types."
To which I would respond
"Although your point, exposing the racism inherent in the cultural underpinnings of Faerun, is correct, it is technically not a problem with my desire to play a ghost.  You see, there exists a wondrous feat in Races of Destiny known as Human Heritage.  If your type is not humanoid(human), it makes your type into humanoid(human).  Which, as you can clearly see, is not undead.  Quite the opposite.  Well, perhaps not, strictly speaking, the opposite of undead - that being dead - but close enough to being the opposite for my purposes.  And I must say, your hat looks rather dashing".

That aside, let's get on with the details.  Since I'm required to finish the full template before the game anyway, I'm going with the marginally stronger SRD ghost instead of the savage progression.  "But Linguist", you interject again.  I slap you upside the face for interrupting.  The question you would have asked, something along the lines of "Isn't it exactly the same if you take all the levels", shows a shocking degree of unfamiliarity with ghosts.  A degree which I am sure to bust as soon as possible.  Although the thought strikes me that one cannot, strictly speaking, bust a degree, although valid busting targets include both moves and ghosts - thus, I will be striking (or, rather, busting) new ground.

The template class divides ghost powers into lists "lesser" and "greater" categories.  Poorly, I might add, since the best ability in the history of forever is listed as being "lesser".  The SRD ghost, on the other hand, just says you have one to three ghost powers, and, furthermore, doesn't force you to pick from an explicitly enumerated list.

Now, there are two other places where you can find ghost powers.  Libris Mortis (Page 151), and Monsters of Faerun (Page 88).  Now, while the MoF powers are interesting, they aren't exactly what I'm looking for (although the "scare the shit out of everyone and deal triple damage" is pretty cool).  Libris Mortis, on the other hand, has the Lore and Illusion powers.  The former is basically bardic knowledge.  The latter is major image at will.  Add on the world's best spell TM, and we have ourselves a winning three ability combo.

Recovering from your slap, and readjusting your hat, you interject "But what dark, twisted, horrible backstory would result in such a creation?  Isn't this pushing the backstory a little too far, especially since you don't know much of anything about the Forgotten Realms?"
"Quite the contrary, naive hypotheticalifornian!  Observe, as I cleverly steal your hat while expositing."

Long ago, in a distant land, I, Aku, the shapeshift-

No, let me restart;

Kane Tondud was raised as the Last Seed of an eclipse cabal, carrying with him a fragment of the Ritual of Words made Flesh and living in isolation, so the knowledge could outlive the cabal.  When the cabal fell under attack, he was ordered to make a journey to the Library of the Sublime, to entrust Aulasha with his fragment.  Already a devout worshiper, he seized the opportunity with the full fervor of a man finally meeting his goddess in person.  

Unfortunately, he arrived slightly too late.  Just as every other great library in history, the Library of the Sublime was doomed.  Harassing the githyanki raiders from behind their lines, twisting the illusions that enabled the library's miracles of cross-referencing and indexing, he bought time for the priesthood to escape.  Even with the advantage of divine favor and terrain, however, Kane was only able to keep them occupied for so long.

Injured, surrounded by fire, out of spells and edging towards death, Kane barricaded himself in a vault, attempting to keep the invaders from the spellbooks a little longer.  As the cursed wounds bled away the last dregs of his strength, he desperately, or possibly deliriously, attempted to perform what little fragments he knew.  Struck down mid-phrase, his Final Utterances completed a bastardized version of the Ritual of Words Made Flesh, recreating a body from the smoke of a thousand lost works.

In the century since, he's thrown himself wholeheartedly into recovering the lost knowledge.  Driven by thirst for vengeance, he takes particular pleasure in thwarting githyanki wherever he goes.  Loosely affiliated with the vengeance cabal Oathkeeper, he has heard rumors of an obscure variety of vessel that puts even the astral dreadnought Heartplunge to shame.  His pursuit of further information (and a rare three-book series penned by Azuth during the Time of Troubles) has lead him to Waterdeep... er, Candlekeep... er... wherever the party should be meeting.

"But that has nothing to do with the forgotten realms except at the very end", you say, hatless and crumpled.  As I sail off on my ship into the sunlight, I tip your hat at you, as if to say 'that's exactly the point'.

Build sketch

Ghost 5 (3 free LA) Illumian (Naenhoon)
Favored soul3/Church inquisitor 2/Divine Oracle 2/Sacred Exorcist 1
Feats:
1)Human Heritage  - for the type change to humanoid.
F1)Extend Spell
F2)Persist Spell
2kgp) Skill focus(knowledge(religion)) - required for divine oracle
3) Ghostly Grasp
3FS)Weapon Focus(Warhammer)
6) ??
9) Extra turning

Not sure what I should take for my feat at level 6; I don't actually get turning until level 8, so extra turning isn't an option.  Probably going to exchange inquisition domain for knowledge devotion, since extra damage/attack = great.  Any advice for which spells I should take, given I'm going to be persisting a couple?  Scholar's touch is an obvious shoe-in for a spell known.

Notable items include the Ring of manifesting from ghostwalk 67, which for the low price of 10k allows the incorporeal to become corporeal.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 04:23:28 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 03:35:08 AM »
I have nothing to say about your ghosting, TML, other than to comment about your good looking hat that looks surprisingly like my own. Oh, and neato with that application of Human Heritage.

I just want to mention that there is one source of ghost abilities (that I know of) that you failed to mention. Ill Wind of Friezford has three (poorly defined) new ghost abilities; ability drain, dimension door, and manifest object (see page 3).
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 03:52:39 AM »
Good point, but they aren't very good (dimension door would be better if you couldn't already freely go through walls) so I kind of ignore them.

I left in the MoF reference since I was very tempted to take the deathsong ability.  Tripling damage on physical attacks makes telekinesis even more stupid.
Planetouched Handbook

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 05:24:35 AM »
Well since all the cool people are squating in this thread I think I will join in.

This is my latest build attempt; http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=269237

The basic idea is to use the keepers (Fiend Folio) mimic weapon ability to go to town dual-wielding a pair of spinning blades (like spiked chain, but 1 handed). However I am not really sure how to optimize my combat ability further, going for the skillmonkey/corpse/BSF slot in the party.

E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 06:23:32 AM »
Sheet is here: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=268934

Choosing spells is always difficult.  At least I have the option of persisting scholar's touch in downtime.
Planetouched Handbook

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 06:41:10 AM »
I'm moderately amused by Ghosts. Even so, I will not allow one, under any guise. The reason for no Undead is mostly because of the abilities, not the type itself. Evolved Gravetouched Ghoul? No!

Sorry. It's a nice idea, but not for this game.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 07:03:28 AM »
Well you should have said that.  I assumed it was just "because everyone in the forgotten realms will come down on you like a heap of bricks".

Which abilities in particular do you consider problematic?  I'd be willing to ditch incorporeality for a 1 LA drop.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 07:05:49 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 07:08:21 AM »
The Telekinesis At-Will is just as scary, if not more so. Could you please try for anything else (...no, no Sharn!)?
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2011, 07:33:53 AM »
Hence why I was planning on self-nerfing by throwing expensive and/or low-damage projectiles like spellbooks or appropriately sized arrows.  That brings the damage down significantly (maximum potential damage for medium arrows is 12d4+24, and that assumes a decent knowledge devotion check and that they all hit, still applies DR twelve times, and can only be done every d4 rounds anyway).  

Memetic fun aside, if you don't optimize your ammo or have a ton of things that trigger on every attack, telekinesis really isn't that much better than eldritch blast.  A ton more versatile out of combat, yes.

That said, a half-fey telthor is about the same LA, and quite similar mechanically; would that work?  Or possibly a wendigo, actually (replacing the regeneration/fire with fast healing should probably drop it a LA, and I'll throw in the extra damage from bad dental hygiene for free).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 07:48:45 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2011, 09:15:18 AM »
The Telekinesis At-Will is just as scary, if not more so. Could you please try for anything else (...no, no Sharn!)?
Aww, that was my fallback plan. :P

Anyway, since squatting in this thread seems to have become the new trend, I'll credit myself with that and put this Dorf on the backburner for now as I concentrate in exams and veekie talking me into picking up Changeling.
That doesn't mean I don't want people commenting on my own considerations stated in the OP. :P
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2011, 10:35:48 AM »
I guess I'll squat as well. (God, that sounds so dirty.) Here is my own contribution to the madness. Considering dropping Magic-Blooded for 2 feats, as I'm fairly feat-starved. General idea is to go for a theurgist battlefield controller with some blast capability targeting multiple saves and causing stat damage (tentacles, phantasmal assailants, cloudkill, great thunderclap, shivering touch, etc). Can anyone think of anything to improve on the build (aside from 'theurge sucks')?
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2011, 05:35:24 PM »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2011, 05:41:43 PM »
Of course you do. Everyone does. :D

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2011, 05:44:58 PM »
Of course you do. Everyone does. :D
Except me.

I don't have the ghost of a chance.
Planetouched Handbook

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2011, 05:49:13 PM »
Funny. As Ghost, you'd be right, probably. But anything else you suggest has a good chance. The Celestial idea has appeal, certainly. :)

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2011, 06:02:21 PM »
Hey CantripN, can JPM use an element that doesn't suck?

Edit: Or at least make the damage 1/2 untyped magic?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2011, 06:26:18 PM »
Hey CantripN, can JPM use an element that doesn't suck?

Edit: Or at least make the damage 1/2 untyped magic?
This post appeals to my interests, since that's one of the two PrCs I'm headed for (the other is sublime chord for 2 levels).

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2011, 06:28:33 PM »
Possibly. Don't count on it, though.