Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong  (Read 182012 times)

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
Re: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong
« Reply #540 on: February 04, 2011, 10:20:22 PM »
Q143: The Intimidating Strike feat says, "You cannot use this feat to worsen an opponent's fear condition beyond shaken," but can you first Intimidating Strike a guy in order to set up Imperious Command? By which I mean, if you Intimidating Strike a guy causing him to be shaken for the rest of the encounter can you then make them Cower for the rest of the encounter with a successful Imperious Command?

A 143:  Yes.  The standard fear rules state that when stacking two fear effects, you take the most powerful effect (usually adding them together) and it applies for the longest duration of any of the effects.  Intimidating Strike can't worsen someone's fear (so it doesn't stack in that way) but it has nothing about any inability to keep a duration going, so if any other fear effect hits while Intimidating Strike applies, it will continue at that fear level for the remainder of the duration of IS.

JaronK
I believe I just might stand corrected.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #541 on: February 04, 2011, 10:57:24 PM »
Q413a: Of course, Intimidating Strike cannot be used to increase a creature's fear level, but does it stop another usage of fear from stacking with it? For example, can I cause the Shaken status with Intimidating Strike and later employ a Frightful Presence type ability to increase that status to Frightened (shaken + shaken)?

Barbarossa

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #542 on: February 05, 2011, 12:58:49 AM »
Q98: Is there anything, by RAW, that allows someone to make an attack of opportunity on an object that passes through a threatened tile?
... or, if the object is being carried, I guess you could use your AoO to sunder. :shrug
This is exactly what I want to do, actually. My party is about to cross a valley full of giants hurling giant objects at each other, and I'm trying to find ways to use my crazy powerful sunder abilities to break the boulders before they hit me. My rationale is that a moving object could still provoke reflexes, and as long as it uses up one an AoO it should still be balanced. I'm just trying to get some rules-backing before the game so that I can discuss it with my DM beforehand, and thus we can modify our plans as needed.
Your rationale fails to take into account that it's not your turn, so you don't get to make any attacks unless you have a rules-based exception that says you do.  Attack of opportunity is "A single extra melee attack per round that a combatant can make when an opponent within reach takes an action that provokes attacks of opportunity.  Cover prevents attacks of opportunity" (emphasis mine).  A boulder, while it may have been launched by an opponent, is not an opponent and therefore is not covered under this exception.

You can try to argue to your DM that it's balanced to allow it, but if you're looking for rules support, it supports you not being able to do this.
So if I found a way to make the rock sentient and evil and I were lawful good, I could attack it because it becomes my enemy?[/lawyering]
I know that it'd be difficult to sunder the boulder, but my character does incredible amounts of damage in this situation, as does the boulder. It's a gigantic sphere of bread coated in adamantine thrown by a heavily optimized Hulking Hurler.

Q144: Is there any scaling to the Deflect Arrows feat? The feat states that projectiles up to a certain size (I think sized for large or smaller attackers) can be deflected, but if the feat-wielder is colossal, can he deflect bigger projectiles?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #543 on: February 05, 2011, 01:10:15 AM »
Q144: Is there any scaling to the Deflect Arrows feat? The feat states that projectiles up to a certain size (I think sized for large or smaller attackers) can be deflected, but if the feat-wielder is colossal, can he deflect bigger projectiles?
If you can somehow nab Exceptional Deflection, you can deflect any ranged attack, including spells that require a ranged touch attack.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #544 on: February 05, 2011, 01:12:31 AM »
If you can somehow nab Exceptional Deflection, you can deflect any ranged attack, including spells that require a ranged touch attack.
Add on snatch arrows.  Then have your party monk dual wield CL 20 disintegrate spells.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #545 on: February 05, 2011, 02:24:00 AM »
Q 144 How does one get a masterwork exotic weapon at 1st level?
Take a level in Samurai from CW.
Looking for more of a general way of doing it. And don't want a katana/bastard sword.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #546 on: February 05, 2011, 02:30:17 AM »
Craft skills (so you can build it yourself) + merchantile background feat (so you start off with enough money for raw materials?
Planetouched Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #547 on: February 05, 2011, 02:38:28 AM »
Craft skills (so you can build it yourself) + merchantile background feat (so you start off with enough money for raw materials?
The only problem is making that DC 20 to make it. Probably need to take max ranks, have a decent INT score, and Skill Focus (Craft) to pull that off at 1st. Still, it's all I've got.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #548 on: February 05, 2011, 02:48:52 AM »
If you have arcane spellcasting, you can cast magecraft for a +5. 
Take 10 +5 (Magecraft) +4(ranks) + 1 (int) makes a DC 20 check easily

Even if you don't have spellcasting, guidance is a cleric orison, so should cost about 5gp for a casting
Take 10 +4 (ranks) +1(guidance 5 gp) +2 (Masterwork tool @ 50 gp) +3(intelligence) gets you there as well.

If you have a familiar or other buddy, the +2 aid another bonus can work as well.

A dwarf gets a racial +2 to stone/metal crafting.

So no need to burn a feat, really.  What exactly do you want to make?
Planetouched Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #549 on: February 05, 2011, 02:50:06 AM »
If you have arcane spellcasting, you can cast magecraft for a +5. 
Take 10 +5 (Magecraft) +4(ranks) + 1 (int) makes a DC 20 check easily

Even if you don't have spellcasting, guidance is a cleric orison, so should cost about 5gp for a casting
Take 10 +4 (ranks) +1(guidance 5 gp) +2 (Masterwork tool @ 50 gp) +3(intelligence) gets you there as well.

If you have a familiar or other buddy, the +2 aid another bonus can work as well.

A dwarf gets a racial +2 to stone/metal crafting.

So no need to burn a feat, really.  What exactly do you want to make?
A whip dagger for an undead campaign.

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #550 on: February 05, 2011, 03:43:57 AM »
A 145 The SRD version of action points lets you get 1 extra use of an X/day class ability for the cost of 1 action point.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/actionpoints.htm

But for non-class abilities, I don't know. Maybe emulate a feat that gives you bonus uses of the specific X/day ability. (Which is almost what your question asks.)

Oh no, the class abilities thing was pretty much precisely what i was looking for, thank ye kindly.
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #551 on: February 05, 2011, 03:53:23 AM »
Take a level in Samurai from CWOriental Adventures.
Fixed that for you.  CW Samurai only gets the proficiencies, not the weapons themselves.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #552 on: February 05, 2011, 04:19:20 AM »
Q 146 Can you Weapon Finesse a quarterstaff?

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #553 on: February 05, 2011, 06:16:24 AM »

A 146: Aye, a feat from a Dragon Magazine. One about monks styles. Animal Monk styles, IIRC. Same as Kunfu Genius, IIRC.

Q 147: What is the best/most versatile/highest base damage two handed Martial bludgeoning weapon without reach?

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #554 on: February 05, 2011, 07:55:21 AM »
The only weapons I can find that fit your criteria are heavy flail, greatclub, maul, and warmace.  You are presumably proficient with simple weapons too and you can use one-handed weapons in two hands, so you might consider a broader search.  In any case, maul and warmace (both from Complete Warrior) are the only non-exotic bludgeoning weapons I can find outside of the Player's Handbook. 

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #555 on: February 05, 2011, 08:05:16 AM »
Q413a: Of course, Intimidating Strike cannot be used to increase a creature's fear level, but does it stop another usage of fear from stacking with it? For example, can I cause the Shaken status with Intimidating Strike and later employ a Frightful Presence type ability to increase that status to Frightened (shaken + shaken)?

A413a:  There's no order to stacking... if something says it doesn't stack, then it simply doesn't stack.  IS will never help get anything above shaken.  As such IS is only useful for extending durations... there's no way to stack it.  If you want along duration fear effect that does stack, I'd suggest the Inspire Awe variant for bards, found in Dragon Magic.  You lose Inspire Courage but gain a fear effect that lasts as long as you keep using the Bardic Music and has a DC based on your perform check.  Consider also Haunting Melody, a feat that adds a fear effect to bardic music (which should stack to Frightened) and Requiem (so you can make music so gothy that even undead are freaked out).  And you only need a single level of Bard for this, though with only one level you can only do it once per day (but you can do it all day muttering to yourself creepily if you took Perform Oratory).

JaronK

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #556 on: February 05, 2011, 08:38:48 AM »
The only weapons I can find that fit your criteria are heavy flail, greatclub, maul, and warmace.  You are presumably proficient with simple weapons too and you can use one-handed weapons in two hands, so you might consider a broader search.  In any case, maul and warmace (both from Complete Warrior) are the only non-exotic bludgeoning weapons I can find outside of the Player's Handbook. 

I trudged through Crystalkeep to find the stats of these, and found the Executioner's Mace. 2d6, B&P or B&S. Great! Thanks for pointing in the right direction!

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #557 on: February 05, 2011, 11:53:48 AM »

A 146: Aye, a feat from a Dragon Magazine. One about monks styles. Animal Monk styles, IIRC. Same as Kunfu Genius, IIRC.
Unfortunately, it's not a feat. It's an Ex ability given to you from the Monkey style. It does say that it allows you to use Weapon Finesse with both ends of the staff.

So is this the only way to do it, or can you do it normally?

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #558 on: February 05, 2011, 12:06:25 PM »
Take a level in Samurai from CWOriental Adventures.
Fixed that for you.  CW Samurai only gets the proficiencies, not the weapons themselves.

Especially considering it doesn't need to be a katana, as per the note at the end of the ancestral daisho ability.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #559 on: February 05, 2011, 12:41:56 PM »

Unfortunately, it's not a feat. It's an Ex ability given to you from the Monkey style. It does say that it allows you to use Weapon Finesse with both ends of the staff.

So is this the only way to do it, or can you do it normally?

Only one that I know of, I'm afraid. Dualwield Light Maces and pretend they're a staff?