Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong  (Read 181739 times)

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
Re: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong
« Reply #520 on: February 04, 2011, 05:07:25 AM »
Anything else? (except Agita's find)
Its quite trivial to max that check. My Max Rebuke build doesn't need to roll for the max tier of the turning check.
Except Charisma... Circlet of Persuasion/Admiral's Bicorne, 5 ranks in Knowledge (religion) and Light of Faith so far. Can you point out something/anything not mentioned, please? That'd quite helpful, thanks.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #521 on: February 04, 2011, 05:08:59 AM »
It's not a weapon or natural attack, though, so dr isn't going to apply anyway.

Aha, touche.
The peak of continuation planar touchstone would let you double dip, though.  
You gain the ability to shrug off some amount of injury from any source of damage. Subtract 1 from the damage you take from any source.

Incidentally, it was a similar type of rules lawyering from WotC that makes strongheart vest not work for hellfire warlocks (your con damage isn't from an attack)
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #522 on: February 04, 2011, 10:35:06 AM »
Bump for question 98

Q98: Is there anything, by RAW, that prevents someone from making an attack of opportunity on an object that passes through a threatened tile?
Asking the wrong question.  You need a rule to *allow* that.  You can make AoO's on creatures, so the object would have to be somehow animated in order for you to make an AoO on it for passing through threatened squares.
... or, if the object is being carried, I guess you could use your AoO to sunder. :shrug

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Barbarossa

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #523 on: February 04, 2011, 11:02:49 AM »
Q98: Is there anything, by RAW, that allows someone to make an attack of opportunity on an object that passes through a threatened tile?
Asking the wrong question.  You need a rule to *allow* that.  You can make AoO's on creatures, so the object would have to be somehow animated in order for you to make an AoO on it for passing through threatened squares.
... or, if the object is being carried, I guess you could use your AoO to sunder. :shrug
This is exactly what I want to do, actually. My party is about to cross a valley full of giants hurling giant objects at each other, and I'm trying to find ways to use my crazy powerful sunder abilities to break the boulders before they hit me. My rationale is that a moving object could still provoke reflexes, and as long as it uses up one an AoO it should still be balanced. I'm just trying to get some rules-backing before the game so that I can discuss it with my DM beforehand, and thus we can modify our plans as needed.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #524 on: February 04, 2011, 12:36:06 PM »
Q98: Is there anything, by RAW, that allows someone to make an attack of opportunity on an object that passes through a threatened tile?
This is exactly what I want to do, actually. My party is about to cross a valley full of giants hurling giant objects at each other, and I'm trying to find ways to use my crazy powerful sunder abilities to break the boulders before they hit me. My rationale is that a moving object could still provoke reflexes, and as long as it uses up one an AoO it should still be balanced. I'm just trying to get some rules-backing before the game so that I can discuss it with my DM beforehand, and thus we can modify our plans as needed.
you mean while it's flying through the air?  if so, I think you're out of luck.

I guess you could maybe ready an action for when the rock gets thrown ... but now you're in houserule territory.
As a DM, I might rule it like this:
- must ready an action
- make sunder attempt, and count the rock as a 2-handed weapon .... just remember the size modifiers.
No AoO on the rock ... also remember that the rock is gonna have some crazy hit points ... if you don't break it, you take the damage and possibly break your weapon; if you break the rock, reflex save vs. something or take 1/2 damage (save = no damage)

but that's just off the top of my head ... :shrug

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #525 on: February 04, 2011, 02:51:52 PM »
Asking the wrong question.  You need a rule to *allow* that.  You can make AoO's on creatures, so the object would have to be somehow animated in order for you to make an AoO on it for passing through threatened squares.

Your rationale fails to take into account that it's not your turn, so you don't get to make any attacks unless you have a rules-based exception that says you do.  Attack of opportunity is "A single extra melee attack per round that a combatant can make when an opponent within reach takes an action that provokes attacks of opportunity.  Cover prevents attacks of opportunity" (emphasis mine).  A boulder, while it may have been launched by an opponent, is not an opponent and therefore is not covered under this exception.

You can try to argue to your DM that it's balanced to allow it, but if you're looking for rules support, it supports you not being able to do this.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #526 on: February 04, 2011, 04:13:40 PM »
Asking the wrong question.  You need a rule to *allow* that.  You can make AoO's on creatures, so the object would have to be somehow animated in order for you to make an AoO on it for passing through threatened squares.

Your rationale fails to take into account that it's not your turn, so you don't get to make any attacks unless you have a rules-based exception that says you do.  Attack of opportunity is "A single extra melee attack per round that a combatant can make when an opponent within reach takes an action that provokes attacks of opportunity.  Cover prevents attacks of opportunity" (emphasis mine).  A boulder, while it may have been launched by an opponent, is not an opponent and therefore is not covered under this exception.

You can try to argue to your DM that it's balanced to allow it, but if you're looking for rules support, it supports you not being able to do this.

Think of it this way, if you could sunder boulders what is to stop you sundering other ranged attacks, like arrows?

what would be awesome though is having deflect arrows and deflecting the boulder as it comes in.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #527 on: February 04, 2011, 06:25:41 PM »
Wall of Blades? :)
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #528 on: February 04, 2011, 07:25:10 PM »
Q142:Is there a way to get Hide/Move Silently as class skills for a single-class Barbarian?  I'd swear there was a guide for expanding class skills, but I cannot locate it at this time.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #529 on: February 04, 2011, 07:39:55 PM »

Does attacking with a thrown weapon provoke attacks of opportunity? I think it does, in which case, if a Giant throws a boulder within your threatened area you can sunder the boulder as an AoO definitely. That's the best rules coverage you're going to get though.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #530 on: February 04, 2011, 07:51:01 PM »
Q142:Is there a way to get Hide/Move Silently as class skills for a single-class Barbarian?  I'd swear there was a guide for expanding class skills, but I cannot locate it at this time.

A142: Here is the guide.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #531 on: February 04, 2011, 08:54:22 PM »
Q143: The Intimidating Strike feat says, "You cannot use this feat to worsen an opponent's fear condition beyond shaken," but can you first Intimidating Strike a guy in order to set up Imperious Command? By which I mean, if you Intimidating Strike a guy causing him to be shaken for the rest of the encounter can you then make them Cower for the rest of the encounter with a successful Imperious Command?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #532 on: February 04, 2011, 08:55:19 PM »
Q 144 How does one get a masterwork exotic weapon at 1st level?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #533 on: February 04, 2011, 08:57:57 PM »
Q 145 Is there a feat or some other way to use action points to get extra uses per day of normally X/day abilities?
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #534 on: February 04, 2011, 09:16:19 PM »
Q 144 How does one get a masterwork exotic weapon at 1st level?
Take a level in Samurai from CW.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #535 on: February 04, 2011, 09:18:48 PM »
A 145 The SRD version of action points lets you get 1 extra use of an X/day class ability for the cost of 1 action point.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/actionpoints.htm

But for non-class abilities, I don't know. Maybe emulate a feat that gives you bonus uses of the specific X/day ability. (Which is almost what your question asks.)

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #536 on: February 04, 2011, 09:32:23 PM »
Q143: The Intimidating Strike feat says, "You cannot use this feat to worsen an opponent's fear condition beyond shaken," but can you first Intimidating Strike a guy in order to set up Imperious Command? By which I mean, if you Intimidating Strike a guy causing him to be shaken for the rest of the encounter can you then make them Cower for the rest of the encounter with a successful Imperious Command?
A143
Imperious Command seems to have no stipulation pertaining to opponents that are already shaken ... so no.

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #537 on: February 04, 2011, 09:35:36 PM »

A 143:  Yes.  The standard fear rules state that when stacking two fear effects, you take the most powerful effect (usually adding them together) and it applies for the longest duration of any of the effects.  Intimidating Strike can't worsen someone's fear (so it doesn't stack in that way) but it has nothing about any inability to keep a duration going, so if any other fear effect hits while Intimidating Strike applies, it will continue at that fear level for the remainder of the duration of IS.

JaronK

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #538 on: February 04, 2011, 09:42:43 PM »

A 143:  Yes.  The standard fear rules state that when stacking two fear effects, you take the most powerful effect (usually adding them together) and it applies for the longest duration of any of the effects.  Intimidating Strike can't worsen someone's fear (so it doesn't stack in that way) but it has nothing about any inability to keep a duration going, so if any other fear effect hits while Intimidating Strike applies, it will continue at that fear level for the remainder of the duration of IS.

JaronK

I don't think the Cowering effect is strictly a fear condition here, it seems to be an add-on effect.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #539 on: February 04, 2011, 10:15:36 PM »
I was looking at it from JaronK's point of view, but I wasn't 100% sure myself. I guess I'll ask the DM.