Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong  (Read 181758 times)

Sjappo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Cheers
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong
« Reply #380 on: January 31, 2011, 05:23:31 AM »
A102: That's a tough one, you'll probably have to take it up with your DM.  That said, if you have a natural weapon then you can absolutely make a glaive attack against a guy that's 10' away and an attack with your natural weapon against the guy that's adjacent (at a -5 penalty for using it as a secondary attack, it doesn't use an iterative attack to do).  Good, cheap ways to get natural weapons include items of Fist of Stone and/or Alter Self.
Unfortunately those are mage spells. I'll dig around for Cleric spells with the same effect. I could always wear (spiked) Gauntlets, right?
A102  It depends if you have iterative attacks or not.   Say you have two attacks, one at +6 and one at +1.  You can use the +6 to attack with the glaive, and the other one with a spiked gauntlet (Would not suggest unarmed unless you're proficient due to the AoO).  Or you could reverse the attacks.

The only time you would incur the TWF penalties would be if you did not have multiple attacks or made an extra one in addition to your attacks from BAB. 
Right thanx. Is this your interpretation or is this supported by RAW somewhere? Sounds logical I must admit. The same would go for AoO. Even the monsters on 5' would trigger an AoO which could be executed with an unarmed strike or (spiked) gauntlet, right?

Both would mean releasing an regripping a 2-handed weapon as a free action without penalties. I would like to have something on paper that supports this. Anyone?

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #381 on: January 31, 2011, 05:33:57 AM »
Q 103 Using the system for creating epic spells, how would one create an epic spell version of miracle that could duplicate 9th lvl spells, and still be evocation?

Q 104 Also using the system for creating epic spells, is it possible to create a spell that would bestow divine rank upon you, preferrably while being evocation, conjuration (creation) or conjuration (summoning)?
By wotc sources you can get something similar to what you want in your first question by using the shadow seed in Lost Empires of Faerun....
You could make such a spell by combining the shadow seed with a seed tha uses evocation......
Now about the second question,there is not anything that can help you since no WotC source had a seed that bestowed  divine ranks,
now there several homebrews and third party books that have information about ascending(getting divine ranks) but I don't know if they would be accepted in your campaign....
If Homebrew and third party are usable I would be happy to help you by pointing out sources of information....

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #382 on: January 31, 2011, 06:10:10 AM »
A102: That's a tough one, you'll probably have to take it up with your DM.  That said, if you have a natural weapon then you can absolutely make a glaive attack against a guy that's 10' away and an attack with your natural weapon against the guy that's adjacent (at a -5 penalty for using it as a secondary attack, it doesn't use an iterative attack to do).  Good, cheap ways to get natural weapons include items of Fist of Stone and/or Alter Self.
Unfortunately those are mage spells. I'll dig around for Cleric spells with the same effect. I could always wear (spiked) Gauntlets, right?
A102  It depends if you have iterative attacks or not.   Say you have two attacks, one at +6 and one at +1.  You can use the +6 to attack with the glaive, and the other one with a spiked gauntlet (Would not suggest unarmed unless you're proficient due to the AoO).  Or you could reverse the attacks.

The only time you would incur the TWF penalties would be if you did not have multiple attacks or made an extra one in addition to your attacks from BAB. 
Right thanx. Is this your interpretation or is this supported by RAW somewhere? Sounds logical I must admit. The same would go for AoO. Even the monsters on 5' would trigger an AoO which could be executed with an unarmed strike or (spiked) gauntlet, right?

Both would mean releasing an regripping a 2-handed weapon as a free action without penalties. I would like to have something on paper that supports this. Anyone?
Yeah... that's the problem, I'm, personally, not sold on the idea of using a spiked gauntlet and a glaive interchangeably during a full attack without the TWF penalties, and I don't know of a rules quote to cite that says otherwise.  The natural weapon (slam can work, although a tail slap/bite/gore attack are also good) absolutely works; they go off a completely different mechanic than TWF.  Since you're a Cleric, you can actually cast Girallon's Blessing.  It's a bit higher-level, but will give you two more arms and four claw attacks (one with each hand).  That would be two for the Glaive, one for a Shield, and one left open for a secondary claw against adjacent opponents and/or for casting spells.

Sjappo

• Cheers
    • Email
« Reply #383 on: January 31, 2011, 06:26:16 AM »

Yeah... that's the problem, I'm, personally, not sold on the idea of using a spiked gauntlet and a glaive interchangeably during a full attack without the TWF penalties, and I don't know of a rules quote to cite that says otherwise.  The natural weapon (slam can work, although a tail slap/bite/gore attack are also good) absolutely works; they go off a completely different mechanic than TWF.  Since you're a Cleric, you can actually cast Girallon's Blessing.  It's a bit higher-level, but will give you two more arms and four claw attacks (one with each hand).  That would be two for the Glaive, one for a Shield, and one left open for a secondary claw against adjacent opponents and/or for casting spells.
I'm a 1st level Cleric :) I'd settle for AoO with a gauntlet. But maybe I'm looking at it wrong. Armor Spikes might do the same thing without releasing the glaive. Improved unarmed strike should work as well. I'll kick him. Or headbut or whatever.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #384 on: January 31, 2011, 06:52:15 AM »
Well, at first level there's definitely no way to do it without a natural weapon.  It comes down like this:

1) Use both weapons interchangibly in a single attack sequence.  Actually need an iterative attack to do this.
2) Wield both weapons simultaneously, taking TWF penalties.
3) Use one glaive and a natural weapon.  The natural weapon becomes a secondary natural attack, the glaive uses the normal routine.

If memory serves, Girallon's Blessing is 3rd-level, so you'll get it before you get your first iterative, anyway.

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #385 on: January 31, 2011, 07:27:06 AM »
Q106 While you are doing a mounted charge does your mount get to attack? I can't seem to find rules that say it doesn't....
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #386 on: January 31, 2011, 07:37:33 AM »
Q106 While you are doing a mounted charge does your mount get to attack? I can't seem to find rules that say it doesn't....
It requires a DC 10 Ride check *and* a war-trained mount.  Otherwise, you can't attack if your mount does.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #387 on: January 31, 2011, 07:59:09 AM »
Q 105 Other than RAW, is there anything saying you can't go druid/paladin for the Devoted Tracker feat? I mean the druid has wild empathy too, and it wouldn't take anything to gain the Track feat.
As far as I can tell, it's legal, although the only relevant thing you get is the ability to designate your special mount as your animal companion..
And gain all those bonuses. That adds up after a while.
There's the problem of incompatible alignment prerequisites. Druid wants you to be any Neutral, Paladin wants you to be Lawful Good. If you can bypass those (e.g. with one of the variant Paladins from Dragon mag), then there's nothing keeping you.
As for the bonuses, RAW Devoted Tracker makes only Paladin and Ranger levels stack for Smite Evil and Wild Empathy, there is no mention of Druid anywhere in the text. It's perfectly reasonable to rule otherwise, especially since a Druid loses more by multiclassing into Paladin than a Ranger, but that's how it's written.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #388 on: January 31, 2011, 08:46:31 AM »
Well, you could be a diabolus (dragon compendium), which gives the [chaotic] subtype for LA+1, then go paladin of freedom.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #389 on: January 31, 2011, 12:48:21 PM »
Q 105 Other than RAW, is there anything saying you can't go druid/paladin for the Devoted Tracker feat? I mean the druid has wild empathy too, and it wouldn't take anything to gain the Track feat.
As far as I can tell, it's legal, although the only relevant thing you get is the ability to designate your special mount as your animal companion..
There's the problem of incompatible alignment prerequisites. Druid wants you to be any Neutral, Paladin wants you to be Lawful Good. If you can bypass those (e.g. with one of the variant Paladins from Dragon mag), then there's nothing keeping you.
As for the bonuses, RAW Devoted Tracker makes only Paladin and Ranger levels stack for Smite Evil and Wild Empathy, there is no mention of Druid anywhere in the text. It's perfectly reasonable to rule otherwise, especially since a Druid loses more by multiclassing into Paladin than a Ranger, but that's how it's written.
Right. Hence why I started the question saying "Other than RAW".
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #390 on: January 31, 2011, 12:57:53 PM »
Well, RAW there's nothing keeping him either, he just won't get much of use out of it. If modified to work with Druid levels, I can see it working, though you're basically trading a level or more of spell progression and wild shape progression for Smite Evil 1/day. If that's what floats your boat, go for it.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #391 on: January 31, 2011, 01:04:32 PM »
Well, RAW there's nothing keeping him either, he just won't get much of use out of it. If modified to work with Druid levels, I can see it working, though you're basically trading a level or more of spell progression and wild shape progression for Smite Evil 1/day. If that's what floats your boat, go for it.
Well, that and Detect Evil at-will, and a mount with animal companion abilities. I don't know. I kind of like the idea of a mount with +20 HD, +22 natural armor, +10 Str and +6 Dex, 7 bonus tricks, and a bunch of special abilities like improved evasion and spell resistance. But that could just be me. Of course if your campaign doesn't allow for your mount to be worth while though, it wouldn't be in your best interest to even consider it.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #392 on: January 31, 2011, 01:10:04 PM »
Well, that and Detect Evil at-will, and a mount with animal companion abilities. I don't know. I kind of like the idea of a mount with +20 HD, +22 natural armor, +10 Str and +6 Dex, 7 bonus tricks, and a bunch of special abilities like improved evasion and spell resistance. But that could just be me. Of course if your campaign doesn't allow for your mount to be worth while though, it wouldn't be in your best interest to even consider it.
The thing is you seem to be looking at the mount from the Paladin's point of view. I'm looking at it from the Druid's point of view. Which reminds me that you have to be a Paladin 5 to even get the Mount abilities, which is a horrible, horrible idea for the Druid unless you're going straight for a Supermount build.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #393 on: January 31, 2011, 01:51:53 PM »
Q 107

What are the most recent rules on what domains Archdukes of Baator grant clerics that worship them, specifically Asmodeus? I think there's domain lists in BoVD, but is there anything more recent? In FC II, perhaps?

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #394 on: January 31, 2011, 02:35:48 PM »
Q 103 Using the system for creating epic spells, how would one create an epic spell version of miracle that could duplicate 9th lvl spells, and still be evocation?

Q 104 Also using the system for creating epic spells, is it possible to create a spell that would bestow divine rank upon you, preferrably while being evocation, conjuration (creation) or conjuration (summoning)?
By wotc sources you can get something similar to what you want in your first question by using the shadow seed in Lost Empires of Faerun....
You could make such a spell by combining the shadow seed with a seed tha uses evocation......
Now about the second question,there is not anything that can help you since no WotC source had a seed that bestowed  divine ranks,
now there several homebrews and third party books that have information about ascending(getting divine ranks) but I don't know if they would be accepted in your campaign....
If Homebrew and third party are usable I would be happy to help you by pointing out sources of information....

If these sources are ones other than the Immortals Handbook: Ascension, I'd love to be pointed towards them, as my DM tends to look at such things on a case by case basis rather than sweeping "No 3rd party" generalizations.
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #395 on: January 31, 2011, 03:07:35 PM »

If these sources are ones other than the Immortals Handbook: Ascension, I'd love to be pointed towards them, as my DM tends to look at such things on a case by case basis rather than sweeping "No 3rd party" generalizations.
Well yes,Immortal hand book is a source but you seem to allready know about it....
Other third party books like the  Book of Immortals by mongoose publishing,go to a whole anotther route for your epic imoortal characters ,a totally diffferent one,wihtout divine  ranks but rather using a new system
The other options I would know about are Epic Spells that people around the world had developed and posted them to various forums.....
For example this Epic spell ,I can't credit the author since I can not remember who he was......

ASCENSION OF THUNDER AND LIGHTNING
Evocation, Transmutation [Electricity]
Spellcraft DC: 233
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 10 days
Range: Personal; touch
Target: You
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
To Develop: 2,097,000 gp; 42 days; 83,880 XP. Seeds: transform (DC 36), energy (DC 19). Factors: add divine abilities (DC 300). Mitigating factors: increase casting time to 10 days (-20 DC), burn 10,000 XP (-100 DC), target to personal (-2 DC).

This spell, devised by Talos ages ago, transforms the caster into a demigod. When it is cast, an enormous bolt of lightning strikes down from the heavens as a sign of Talos' favor. This omen marks the apotheosis of the caster into a demigod with a Divine Rank of 1. He gains all the appropriate divine abilities. The spell is permanent, although such an brazen act all but guarantees the caster will have a whole host of divine foes in the future.

Additionally, the caster cannot claim the portfolio of an existing god of his pantheon. He is also bound into the service of Talos unless another god accepts him as a servant. Finally, if Lord Ao chooses not to imbue the caster with divine power, the spell fails and the caster takes 10d6 points of lightning damage (no saving throw). It is possible variants of this spell could be developed that bind the caster to another deity than Talos, but few gods would be willing to give up their divine power to an upstart demigod.

XP Cost: 10,000

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #396 on: January 31, 2011, 03:26:42 PM »
@Joda:
I would advise you though to work with your dm to create an Epic spell that would work in your campaign.....
Use the Fortify and the Transform seed  to get what you want and add some ad-hoc modifiers for the abilites that are not described in Epic level handbook....
For example ask your dm how much an increase in the Epic's spell Dc he thinks an Salient ability worths....

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #397 on: January 31, 2011, 03:30:35 PM »
Q 108 Is there an unholy avenger or unholy reaver in 3.5? I looked it up, and the most I could get was the legend of an anti-paladin sword that may have been called the Unholy Reaver in 2E. I know there's a Blackguard's Blade in Book of Vile Darkness, but I was looking for something for the evil paladins (slaughter, tyranny, anti-paladin, etc).

Saeomon

• A real rules lawyer
« Reply #398 on: January 31, 2011, 09:01:12 PM »
Q109: Can you deliver a coup de grace to a creature encased in an Ectoplasmic Cocoon? Obviously you would have to deal enough damage to the cocoon to overcome both its hardness and all of its HP, at least 28 points in a single blow against a full-strength cocoon. Just assume that isn't an issue.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #399 on: January 31, 2011, 09:21:37 PM »
Q 108 Is there an unholy avenger or unholy reaver in 3.5? I looked it up, and the most I could get was the legend of an anti-paladin sword that may have been called the Unholy Reaver in 2E. I know there's a Blackguard's Blade in Book of Vile Darkness, but I was looking for something for the evil paladins (slaughter, tyranny, anti-paladin, etc).
I think that there the exact thing that you want was not in any 3.X books or materials....
You could take the Holy avenger and just reverse the alignment axis of its abilities....