Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong  (Read 182028 times)

Garryl

• Hong Kong
Re: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong
« Reply #260 on: January 27, 2011, 02:01:29 PM »
A74: Each item beyond the first (and the most expensive item counts as the first) costs 50% extra. So the 3 item version would cost 6000g (1500 + 1500*1.5 + 1500*1.5). The 2 item version only costs 3750g (1500 + 1500*1.5).
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #261 on: January 27, 2011, 02:07:33 PM »
A74: Each item beyond the first (and the most expensive item counts as the first) costs 50% extra. So the 3 item version would cost 6000g (1500 + 1500*1.5 + 1500*1.5). The 2 item version only costs 3750g (1500 + 1500*1.5).
Note though that magic item compendium has some "often used abilities" that don't cost more if you add them to an item.....

CyMage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #262 on: January 27, 2011, 02:54:04 PM »
Thanks, that's what I ended up with as well.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #263 on: January 27, 2011, 03:16:26 PM »
Q75

Minor charge question, I seem to forget it every now and again.

First, you must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent.

Assuming you are using a spiked chain, does that mean you have to run up to adjacent to the target or to just within your reach?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #264 on: January 27, 2011, 03:19:30 PM »
Just within reach, or 10' for a medium character.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #265 on: January 27, 2011, 03:20:35 PM »
Thank you kindly.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #266 on: January 27, 2011, 04:53:39 PM »
Q76

Would making the ACF of penetrating strike for rogues be elegible for scouts and ninja be a fair house rule?

Q77

As a side question why is sudden strike from ninja worse then sneak attack or skirmish?  If I am wrong on this forgive me.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #267 on: January 27, 2011, 04:58:10 PM »
"The second spell doesn't count as being affected by a metamagic feat for the purpose of this benefit (that is, it doesn't entitle you to apply the metamagic feat to a spell you might cast in the following round)."

This seems to suggest that the second spell does count as being effected by a metamagic feat, but it doesn't count only for the purpose of this feat. (Otherwise we could chain this feat off itself endlessly.) I agree that metamagic efft & metamagic feat could be interpretted as two different meanings, but then the quote above would be rendered pointless if your interpretation of Residual Magic only applying a "metamagic effect" and not indeed a feat is correct.

While I agree with you X-Codes that your ruling seems the most likely, the wording is still fairly vague as to what spell level we could Heighten a spell to with a free heighten.
Hmm... I can somewhat see the other interpretation of "for the purpose of this benefit" now, although now it's an argument akin to the DWK one; nothing really clear going on.  The position I put forward, however, is valid because the restriction on applying metamagic feats to spells is very clear: can't apply the same feat twice.  Most effects work within this structure using language like "empowered as though using the Empower Spell feat" for empower rods.

That said, heighten is pretty cut-and-dry if using this interpretation.  You can't cast a heightened +6 fireball with a 9th-level slot, then residual magic that over to a second heightened +6 fireball to gain a 15th level fireball because both effects still carry heighten's hard cap of 9th-level spells, although you can do +3 and +3.

If you don't go by the interpretation I put forward, then I don't think could could cast a heightened +1 fireball and then residual magic it over to a heightened +6 fireball from a 3rd-level slot next round, because the effect you're trying to residual magic over is a heightened +1 spell.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #268 on: January 27, 2011, 05:09:50 PM »
The point is that the restriction is on the "spell level" not being increased, not the "spell slot". 

Sloppy wording, but what isn't?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #269 on: January 27, 2011, 05:11:39 PM »
Q76

Would making the ACF of penetrating strike for rogues be elegible for scouts and ninja be a fair house rule?

Q77

As a side question why is sudden strike from ninja worse then sneak attack or skirmish?  If I am wrong on this forgive me.

A76: I don't see what it could hurt.

A77: Because it's exactly like sneak attack, but even more limited in use.  You can't use it with a sap, for example, and you can't activate it by flanking.  You must deny your target its dexterity bonus.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #270 on: January 27, 2011, 10:32:35 PM »
Q 78 The Wish spell can replicate any arcane spell 8th lvl or lower if it's not of a school prohibited to the caster. But things that have it as a spell-like, or magic items of wish have no banned schools. Does this mean that such cases don't worry about prohibited schools?

Q 79 If a wizard who has a school banned uses wish from an item (like a ring of three wishes), does the prohibited school clause in wish still apply?
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #271 on: January 27, 2011, 10:52:02 PM »
Q 78 The Wish spell can replicate any arcane spell 8th lvl or lower if it's not of a school prohibited to the caster. But things that have it as a spell-like, or magic items of wish have no banned schools. Does this mean that such cases don't worry about prohibited schools?

Q 79 If a wizard who has a school banned uses wish from an item (like a ring of three wishes), does the prohibited school clause in wish still apply?

Yes and Yes

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #272 on: January 27, 2011, 11:03:01 PM »
Bump

Q 71 Is there a quicker way for a potential vermin lord to cast Giant Vermin than 7th level cleric or druid? Looking for an earlier entry level.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #273 on: January 28, 2011, 01:44:02 AM »
Q80

Does anyone know if there is a feat from Dragon Magazine that allows for rogue and ranger levels to stack?  If yes what issue?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #274 on: January 28, 2011, 02:09:25 AM »
Bump

Q 71 Is there a quicker way for a potential vermin lord to cast Giant Vermin than 7th level cleric or druid? Looking for an earlier entry level.
Giant vermin is on the spider domain.

A versatile spell cheesing dread necromancer could cast it at sixth.
Planetouched Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #275 on: January 28, 2011, 02:17:38 AM »
Bump

Giant vermin is on the spider domain.

A versatile spell cheesing dread necromancer could cast it at sixth.
The spider domain still has it as a 4th level spell.

That'd suck for anyone in a group that doesn't allow the cheese.

A 80
No. There is no specific feat that stacks Rogue and Ranger. However, if you take the Wildshape variant for Ranger, you could use the one that has rogue stack with druid. And if you're a 12th level ranger, then you could take Razing Strike. Only if you want to sacrifice spells for more sneak attack damage.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #276 on: January 28, 2011, 02:22:40 AM »
Yeah, well, that's the only relatively-low-cheese (insofar as I would actually allow it while DMing) way I know of to get a fourth level spell that early. 

You could obviously get it earlier with whitedragonspawn + arcane disciple(spider) +versatile spellcaster + heighten+ loredrake, but at that point the ability to enter the prestige class is frankly quite irrelevant.

Planetouched Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #277 on: January 28, 2011, 04:32:05 AM »
Q 81 Is there a flaw for a character having only one arm? Doesn't matter if it's 3rd party or not. The closest I've found is the Pathfinder compatible "Missing Hand", but it's not a flaw. It's a "drawback" and gives you 4 skill points in exchange. It limits you to one-handed weapons, and -2 skill penalties on Climb, Disable Device, and Sleight of Hand. Eventually a graft will come into play, or something for the character, but for now it's got nothing.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #278 on: January 28, 2011, 04:40:38 AM »
Q 81 Is there a flaw for a character having only one arm? Doesn't matter if it's 3rd party or not. The closest I've found is the Pathfinder compatible "Missing Hand", but it's not a flaw. It's a "drawback" and gives you 4 skill points in exchange. It limits you to one-handed weapons, and -2 skill penalties on Climb, Disable Device, and Sleight of Hand. Eventually a graft will come into play, or something for the character, but for now it's got nothing.
If you just want random homebrew: http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/One-Arm_%283.5e_Flaw%29

Personally, I'd just put it as a -4 to all skill checks that normally require two arms, and you lose that arm's ring slot, along with the ability to dual wield/two-hand wield/whatever.
Planetouched Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #279 on: January 28, 2011, 04:47:16 AM »
If you just want random homebrew: http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/One-Arm_%283.5e_Flaw%29

Personally, I'd just put it as a -4 to all skill checks that normally require two arms, and you lose that arm's ring slot, along with the ability to dual wield/two-hand wield/whatever.
-2 would likely be enough for the main ones, and maybe -4 for use rope and such. Having -4 to everything along with everything else would make it one heck of a flaw. With that much disadvantage it'd probably give you two feats in exchange.

I'm hoping to find something a little more official before I look at homebrew. At least right now.