Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong  (Read 181991 times)

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
Re: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong
« Reply #240 on: January 26, 2011, 11:48:31 AM »
Q66: Can you really stack Extend and Persist to get a 36-hour duration spell? Knee-jerk reaction in my group was 'those probably wouldn't stack', so if they do, I and my clericdin would like a good reason why they do.

No you may not.  You CAN however get 48 hour duration. 24 * 2 :P

The reason you may do this is that, in general,  you are allowed to chose the most beneficial way to apply abilities.  While Empower and Maximize have specific rules text to overwrite this, extend/persist do not.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #241 on: January 26, 2011, 12:30:12 PM »
Q66: Can you really stack Extend and Persist to get a 36-hour duration spell? Knee-jerk reaction in my group was 'those probably wouldn't stack', so if they do, I and my clericdin would like a good reason why they do.

No you may not.  You CAN however get 48 hour duration. 24 * 2 :P

The reason you may do this is that, in general,  you are allowed to chose the most beneficial way to apply abilities.  While Empower and Maximize have specific rules text to overwrite this, extend/persist do not.

Whoops, I mixed up empower and extend for some reason. 48 is indeed somewhat more convenient than 36. And okay, comparing it to empower/maximize works to convince me.  :) Thanks.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #242 on: January 26, 2011, 02:01:55 PM »
Actually extend and persist would give an 48 hours duration....
I don't see any reason why they wouldn't stack.....

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #243 on: January 26, 2011, 05:21:27 PM »
Q67: Just to be sure... :banghead Bonus damage from things like, say, Knowledge Devotion or the Eager weapon property only applies once to a single attack's damage, right? As in, multiple dices of damage from, say, 9th-level Warlock's Eldritch Blast doesn't count as more than one damage roll? Or do each die count as a damage roll? Ex: Let's assume you rolled to get +3 with Knowledge Devotion, you're a 9th-level Warlock and you hit your target with your Eldritch Blast with no other modifier. Would the damage be 5d6+3 or 5d6+15?
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #244 on: January 26, 2011, 05:22:32 PM »
Should be +3 because it's a single attack.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #245 on: January 26, 2011, 05:25:34 PM »
A single damage roll can have multiple dice, if that's what you're asking.  There are a very few, rare abilities (iaijutsu master) that apply to every die, but they explicitly call it out.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #246 on: January 26, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »
It is. Thanks.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #247 on: January 26, 2011, 08:22:58 PM »
Q68When Using the split psionic ray metapsionic feat can you target the same creature or you have to target two different creatures?

BrokeAndDrive

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Why are there no ghosts of dinosaurs?
« Reply #248 on: January 26, 2011, 08:40:05 PM »
A68 Assuming it's just a psionic version of Split Ray, then yes you can target the same creature. They must roll against it twice. It's kind of like a half-priced Twinned spell, or hitting with the same normal and Quickened spell.

Q69 Are intelligent constructs (not living constructs) "immune to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects)"? Or is that line just from being mindless?
Random quotes:[spoiler]I think Roy's coinages are shitty and dumb, but Failroy has to take the cake for the dumbest new compound word of the year
~

That was kind of the point. I was trying to be a Roy parody, but I guess it didn't come across overly well.

==

JaronK is of course most famous for his massive thought experiments into placing classes into tiers. While a kind of nifty idea, and a decent enough way to think about stuff, his particular tier assignments were basically insane. Apparently the criteria he used was to assign classes relative strength based on what bullshit he personally would let them get away with at 20th level.

So Factotums were rated very highly, because apparently he would let them use Rokugan-exclusive skills with Forgotten Realms-exclusive weapons from the back of MM2 templated warbeasts. But Rogues suck donkey dick, becuase he wouldn't let them use Use Magic Device to read scrolls of Planar Binding. It was a very surreal argument.
~

And to think the system was immortalized in OOTS. As a general rule, I try to avoid all tier discussion there because it's the De Facto system at BG, and I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Besides, I think if most people are pressed, they will admit that it's just an estimate, anyway, and that results can vary from table to table.
~

My only real complaint with the tier system is that at one point I was tired (tiered?) of hearing about it.[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #249 on: January 26, 2011, 08:44:03 PM »
A69: All constructs, regardless of intelligence, are immune to those.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

BrokeAndDrive

• Why are there no ghosts of dinosaurs?
« Reply #250 on: January 26, 2011, 09:57:40 PM »
That makes Awaken Construct even better. :D Thanks!
Random quotes:[spoiler]I think Roy's coinages are shitty and dumb, but Failroy has to take the cake for the dumbest new compound word of the year
~

That was kind of the point. I was trying to be a Roy parody, but I guess it didn't come across overly well.

==

JaronK is of course most famous for his massive thought experiments into placing classes into tiers. While a kind of nifty idea, and a decent enough way to think about stuff, his particular tier assignments were basically insane. Apparently the criteria he used was to assign classes relative strength based on what bullshit he personally would let them get away with at 20th level.

So Factotums were rated very highly, because apparently he would let them use Rokugan-exclusive skills with Forgotten Realms-exclusive weapons from the back of MM2 templated warbeasts. But Rogues suck donkey dick, becuase he wouldn't let them use Use Magic Device to read scrolls of Planar Binding. It was a very surreal argument.
~

And to think the system was immortalized in OOTS. As a general rule, I try to avoid all tier discussion there because it's the De Facto system at BG, and I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Besides, I think if most people are pressed, they will admit that it's just an estimate, anyway, and that results can vary from table to table.
~

My only real complaint with the tier system is that at one point I was tired (tiered?) of hearing about it.[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #251 on: January 26, 2011, 11:24:50 PM »
Q70

How would a level 6 Sorcerer go about reducing the action required to concentrate on a spell-like ability he happens to have by benefit of being a weird race? Clutch of Orcus, specifically, which I would only ever consider using if doing so doesn't kill the rest of this NPC's rounds.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #252 on: January 27, 2011, 01:59:34 AM »
Q 71 Is there a quicker way for a potential vermin lord to cast Giant Vermin than 7th level cleric or druid? Looking for an earlier entry level.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #253 on: January 27, 2011, 02:20:55 AM »
Q70

How would a level 6 Sorcerer go about reducing the action required to concentrate on a spell-like ability he happens to have by benefit of being a weird race? Clutch of Orcus, specifically, which I would only ever consider using if doing so doesn't kill the rest of this NPC's rounds.

A70: The ways I know include
Feat: Familiar Concentration
Spell: Sonorous Humm [from Spell Compendium]
Skill Trick: Swift Concentration [from Complete Scoundrel, only one round]
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Eviltedzies

• Live life. Otherwise you have none.
    • Email
« Reply #254 on: January 27, 2011, 02:30:18 AM »
The scenario...

Feats Involved
Heighten Spell [PH]
Residual Magic [CM]

1. I cas a Heightened spell, lets say a Fireball, and I increase it's effective level to 9th level. (A +6 level increase.)
2. On my following turn I cast another Fireball. The wording in Residual Magic states "you can apply any one metamagic feat from the first casting to the second. but without any change to the spell level."

Q72: Would I be allowed to apply Heighten Spell at the same level increase (+6) to my second Fireball WITHOUT actually using up a 9th level slot? Despite the fact that Heighten spell specifically states that it increases the spells level, Residual Magic by RAW negates this.

If this is true....

Q73: Heighten spell has a variable in it, the ability to choose how many levels to heighten it by. Now if I spontaneously cast a heightened fireball as a 4th level spell (+1 level increase) followed up by another heightened fireball on the next round, could I theoretically increase the heightened level to a 9th level spell (+6) for free? Since Residual Magic makes no mention of how to deal with metamagics with variable effects, I could argue that I could heighten a spell by +1 level on one round and then free heighten it to my max spell level the next round.

This seems really bad cheese to me, but I'm sure someone has already ruled on this somewhere.
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.
It is truly a neverending cycle of nightmares.
Yet that is what we have been given.
Find your dreams where you may.
And live life like no other.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #255 on: January 27, 2011, 02:45:16 AM »
The scenario...

Feats Involved
Heighten Spell [PH]
Residual Magic [CM]

1. I cas a Heightened spell, lets say a Fireball, and I increase it's effective level to 9th level. (A +6 level increase.)
2. On my following turn I cast another Fireball. The wording in Residual Magic states "you can apply any one metamagic feat from the first casting to the second. but without any change to the spell level."

Q72: Would I be allowed to apply Heighten Spell at the same level increase (+6) to my second Fireball WITHOUT actually using up a 9th level slot? Despite the fact that Heighten spell specifically states that it increases the spells level, Residual Magic by RAW negates this.

If this is true....
It's true
Q73: Heighten spell has a variable in it, the ability to choose how many levels to heighten it by. Now if I spontaneously cast a heightened fireball as a 4th level spell (+1 level increase) followed up by another heightened fireball on the next round, could I theoretically increase the heightened level to a 9th level spell (+6) for free? Since Residual Magic makes no mention of how to deal with metamagics with variable effects, I could argue that I could heighten a spell by +1 level on one round and then free heighten it to my max spell level the next round.

This seems really bad cheese to me, but I'm sure someone has already ruled on this somewhere.

I believe this would go under "Two bonuses from the same source don't stack" rule.  This is really not any different from "I cast Empowered Fireball, next round I cast Empowered Fireball"

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #256 on: January 27, 2011, 02:53:00 AM »
The wording in Residual Magic states "you can apply any one metamagic feat from the first casting to the second. but without any change to the spell level."

If it doesn't change the spell level (as you quoted), then guess what?

Heighten does shit.  And by shit, I mean "nothing", since all heighten does is change the spell level, and you can't do that.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #257 on: January 27, 2011, 03:26:16 AM »
The wording in Residual Magic states "you can apply any one metamagic feat from the first casting to the second. but without any change to the spell level."

If it doesn't change the spell level (as you quoted), then guess what?

Heighten does shit.  And by shit, I mean "nothing", since all heighten does is change the spell level, and you can't do that.
This is one way to look at it, but this interpretation also means that DMM: Heighten doesn't do shit for the same reason.

Actually, there's a very clear answer in this which is explains Residual Magic's inherent awesomeness and inherent crappiness: You don't apply the metamagic feat to the second spell, you just apply the metamagic effect.  The effect of the metamagic effect you are carrying over in your first example is that of a +6 to spell level ala Heighten Spell.  Therefore, the second fireball is treated as a 9th-level spell cast from a 3rd-level slot, but it is not a Heightened Fireball.

By reading into this a little, I think you can actually use Residual Magic to effectively apply metamagic feats a second time when you use it.  This is because you're simply carrying over the metamagic effect of the first spell, and then applying the feat to the second.  The benefit granted by the Residual Magic feat explicitly does not count as modifying the spell with a metamagic feat.  As such, if you were to cast a CL 10 Empowered Fireball, you would deal 10d6*1.5 damage.  If you then used Residual Magic to apply that effect to a second CL 10 Empowered Fireball, you would deal 10d6*2 damage.  Sometimes, however, this still doesn't work.  With the above example with Heighten spell, you can't adjust it any higher, it's already a 9th-level spell.

Eviltedzies

• Live life. Otherwise you have none.
    • Email
« Reply #258 on: January 27, 2011, 12:55:43 PM »
"The second spell doesn't count as being affected by a metamagic feat for the purpose of this benefit (that is, it doesn't entitle you to apply the metamagic feat to a spell you might cast in the following round)."

This seems to suggest that the second spell does count as being effected by a metamagic feat, but it doesn't count only for the purpose of this feat. (Otherwise we could chain this feat off itself endlessly.) I agree that metamagic efft & metamagic feat could be interpretted as two different meanings, but then the quote above would be rendered pointless if your interpretation of Residual Magic only applying a "metamagic effect" and not indeed a feat is correct.

While I agree with you X-Codes that your ruling seems the most likely, the wording is still fairly vague as to what spell level we could Heighten a spell to with a free heighten.
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.
It is truly a neverending cycle of nightmares.
Yet that is what we have been given.
Find your dreams where you may.
And live life like no other.

CyMage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #259 on: January 27, 2011, 01:28:03 PM »
Q74  If I wanted to combine 2 or 3 items into one what would the final price be?  Each item is 1500, and are the same item slot.  I've done the calculations, but wanted to double check since I've never dealt with combining magic items before.