Author Topic: Rogue Help  (Read 6068 times)

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Rogue Help
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 05:46:38 PM »
Carmendine Monk is perhaps less integral than you might think - it's int-to-AC only applies when in NO armour.  With an int of 18, that's a chain shirt's worth of AC, so it's mostly pointless.  Unless you want it for the stunning fist DC, but that probably isn't worth a feat.

I don't have my books, so I have no idea what Dread Fang of Lolth does, never heard of it.

Panther Totem is homebrew, but if your DM is cool with it then it's fine.  However the Spirit Lion totem (from complete champion) can be mixed with normal totems, grants Pounce at level 1, and is just generally awesome and broken.

Swashbuckler is just a nice way to fill up 3 spare levels.  At higher levels you shouldn't probably be taking it (instead something like runescarred berserker or gish-type stuff, or something to keep you off the magical radar, essentially a way of staying relevant at those magic-dominated levels), and at lower levels you should definitely not be sacrificing anything like swordsage to get it.  The reason to take a level of swordsage early is that Shadow Blade is just nice and waiting til 9 to have it (not to mention the sneak-attack-getting Island of Blades and Sapphire Nightmare Strike) is a bit painful if your game begins at low levels.

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 11:19:06 PM »
One thing to watch out for with ToB martial adept dips: your first stance chosen at the first level of the class must be a first level stance. From all three classes' Stances Known ability entry: "You begin play with knowledge of one 1st level stance...."  This doesn't change grabbing Child of Shadow or Island of Blades, but it means you need two levels of swordsage minimum to grab Assasin's Stance.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 07:49:40 AM »
That gives more weight to what I was already leaning towards - one level of swordsage early to get shadow blade, island of blades, and sapphire nightmare strike and then another level later to pick up assassin's stance and cloak of deception + shadow jaunt.

If you really wanted to avoid that second level, you could pick up Martial Stance for assassin's stance later on.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 12:34:02 PM »
Two levels of swordsage is not a bad thing.  I was looking over things and I am still learning more about optimization.  Rejakor you are helping me out a lot as I am seeing what you mean.  So instead of going ranger I can take hit and run fighter to get my TWF feat free and then go into sleeping tiger monk.  All of this is awesome!  But I do have a question, say I want to go into invisible blade instead of dread commando, the feats to enter it are very odd (point blank shot and such), is there errata missing that changes it or do I go by what CW has?  Thanks all for your advice and help!

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 12:46:44 PM »
I mention it in the topic I linked you.

Quote from: me
Something worth mentioning:
If you're doing a hybrid build, the printed entry requirement feats for the Invisible Blade aren't that harsh.
But if you're doing only the stabbing route and not the throwing, it's not so fun.
Luckily, there's a word from the creator of the PrC halfway into this topic, were he mentions that if you're using the 5-level PrC you should change the feat requirements to Weapon Finesse and Weapon Focus (dagger, punching dagger or kukri).
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 02:09:57 PM »
@Shadowhunter:  Domo arigato.  Did not see it at first.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011, 06:30:55 PM »
Ok all.  Just talked to the DM whom said she had a character sheet still for my old rogue and is sending it to me.  She did say though to keep the character the exact same.  So ruling out retraining I could probably start dips at level 5.  Though having Quick Draw I can look into some neat throwing builds.  Anywho I will keep trying to see if I can get some of my skills changed at the very least.  Just wanted to update y'all.