Author Topic: Should I ban Improved Initiative?  (Read 6809 times)

Hallack

• Hong Kong
Re: Should I ban Improved Initiative?
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 04:12:05 PM »
I'd say, if as the DM you are putting Improved Initiative on most or all your monsters it is you creating the Feat tax for the players forcing them to keep up with what in most cases are going to be disposable one shot foes.   

Probably not as cheesy as loading up with Sudden metamagics for one shot caster foes but to me I think it misses the mark in that vein of 'just because there are best choices mechanically doesn't mean you should always use them, particularly in npc design.'   

Of course, I also get a sense that this may not have been a serious inquiry.
Placeholder - T'tosc

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 04:51:51 PM »
I mean, seriously, if the fighter really does suck as bad as it seems, then he needs all the help he can get.  giving out free feats to everybody simply dilutes an already sucky class -- why marginalize him more than he already is?

This was my point as well.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

qwvb

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 05:03:58 PM »
Having a good Initiative score helps the game, but it doesn't break it.

The four three types of combat roles and Improved Initiative
The BSF gets in the way of the mobs/BBEG before them, possibly protecting his group from physical threat. Sweet.
The glass cannon kills stuff before stuff gets to remember it was alive ; oups!  :chairhit

God controls the battlefield before it really becomes a battlefield. Aw~
or
God casts Celerity and takes his turn before everyone anyway.  :smirk

The Waste of space wasted a feat to do nothing usefull faster. Whoa!  :D

So I don't really see the point in banning it. Maybe you could discourage initiative stacking (dunno how), but no need to just ban this feat only.

thorian

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 06:20:11 PM »
At present, for DMs who intelligently assign feats to all their creatures, it's basically a feat tax.  It's so good that anyone will take it, and by giving it to everyone, then everyone's just lost a feat slot.

Effectively, everyone has Improved Initiative in terms of prereqs.

What are your thoughts?
I think next time you should use green font or "sarcasm" tags.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 06:40:56 PM »
I'd say, if as the DM you are putting Improved Initiative on most or all your monsters it is you creating the Feat tax for the players forcing them to keep up with what in most cases are going to be disposable one shot foes.   

Probably not as cheesy as loading up with Sudden metamagics for one shot caster foes but to me I think it misses the mark in that vein of 'just because there are best choices mechanically doesn't mean you should always use them, particularly in npc design.'   

Of course, I also get a sense that this may not have been a serious inquiry.

I fully expect any and all NPCs to be taken out in very short order, typically half a round. Giving them a good Init means they have a better chance of getting an action so they can actually do the things they are designed to do first. And with a proper optimization game, everyone will be IP proofed, so this isn't a problem. Also, there's plenty of other sources of Init. PCs get more of them, and casters also get more of them. Banning the feat just means beatsticks fail at life.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 06:56:05 PM »
Damn Mixster, did you have to use THAT quote for your sig?  It's a little out of context...

JaronK

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 07:32:31 PM »
Damn Mixster, did you have to use THAT quote for your sig?  It's a little out of context...

JaronK
I dunno, it's pretty amusing.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 08:31:14 PM »
I don't see the point. What a weird thing to ban.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 08:51:54 PM »
I really don't see a point to banning it. If you have nothing better on which to spend a feat than Improved Initiative, then something isn't quite right. Besides, I think it's an exaggeration to say that everyone takes the feat--it's useful, but not that useful.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 09:55:26 PM »
Yes because it's a useful feat and all useful feats are obviously broken.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 10:25:19 PM »

JaronK

You should have consulted your spin-doctor before use.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 11:10:20 PM »

JaronK

Might as well throw this in as well
Players always have something to look forward to with the monk, which boasts the most colorful and unique special abilities of all the character classes.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 11:48:48 PM »

JaronK

Might as well throw this in as well
Players always have something to look forward to with the monk, which boasts the most colorful and unique special abilities of all the character classes.

Hey, now, let's be fair. It's good to look forward to a kick in the nuts, too, if only so that you can leap out of the way. Using "look forward" here to mean only anticipation, not eager anticipation.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2011, 08:56:17 AM »
If you are going to make initiative relevant again, make it based on 1/2 BAB+Dex mod, as well as removing all sources of +Initiative from the game. This way short of celerity casters AREN'T going first.

Treat it less like a thing to buff, and more like a class feature that mundanes get. After all, a mundane at level 10 had damn well better know what's sneaking up on him or he'd be dead long ago.

Cephid Arcanis

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2011, 10:03:23 AM »
um, yeah imp initiative is fine. Only had two characters take it. (one for free with time domain). whats the prob?
If you are going to make initiative relevant again, make it based on 1/2 BAB+Dex mod, as well as removing all sources of +Initiative from the game. This way short of celerity casters AREN'T going first.
That actually sounds like a good idea. I liked the 'advanced D&D' rule of different weapons giving diff. initiative modifiers. Like +4 for rapier, -4 for great sword. Spells could be a flat 0, or maybe -1per spell level.
"It is the mark of a practiced mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it"

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2011, 10:12:58 AM »
If initiative was rolled every round a -Level modifier to initiative would be amazing for replicating longer casting times.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2011, 01:27:07 PM »
If initiative was rolled every round a -Level modifier to initiative would be amazing for replicating longer casting times.
AD&D spells had their own casting times which modified your initiative count. That said, I'm not terribly fond of adding another roll every round on top of everything else. Having a set list that only changes in certain circumstances (delays/WRT/what have you) is a much easier prospect.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2011, 11:12:14 PM »
The whole reason most people haven't converted to 4th ed (besides the expense of a whole new set of books) is that it provides NI options, some of which are superior to others.

"We shall use our NI option again if you do not appease us!"