Author Topic: The repercussions of changing a casting stat.  (Read 2237 times)

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
The repercussions of changing a casting stat.
« on: January 18, 2011, 12:00:55 PM »
How much of a boost would a 2 stat caster (Int for class abilities, Cha for spells) get if the Cha was changed to Wis?

Specifically, I'm looking at the Blue Mage

I can see it working flavor-wise, instead of overcoming the spell through force, you become a conduit via meditating on the spell effect.

The only thing I can see it changing would be the boost to spot/listen, and being able to use Cha as a dump stat again.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: The repercussions of changing a casting stat.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 12:13:09 PM »
Probably more balanced. Cha is the best mental ability score because you can add Cha to everything. And it's by far the easiest mental stat to pump sky high.

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:15:01 PM »
Was that sarcasm, or am I missing something huge? I thought Cha used to be a dump stat?

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 12:28:36 PM »
Normally there would be little to no change for that kind of swap. It would basically be bonus to bluff, dip., etc.. vs bonus to spot, listen, will, etc... In this case though the class looks pretty keyed to UMD which makes having a lower Cha a weakness.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 12:39:21 PM »
Was that sarcasm, or am I missing something huge? I thought Cha used to be a dump stat?
No sarcasm. Cha is either a dump stat or the character can run on it. Look here. Cha also runs social skills, which are amazing.

Ghost/Paladin/Duskblade/Blattledancer/Mystic Wanderer has Cha to AC three times and Cha to saves twice.

Magic Blooded FeyTouched Half Fey Celadrin has +10 Cha and plenty of room to grow.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 12:48:32 PM »
I happen to agree. CHA is the best casting stat, because it's so easy to boost and abuse, especially on a Blue Mage, who can cast nearly any spell. You really don't want it changed.

That said, as I told you, you can get it as a CHA-only casting class, with me.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 01:04:16 PM »
Thanks. I just got the messages from you CantripN. Now I just have to figure out how to make a Bo9S class key off of Charisma.

Sachiru

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 01:13:06 PM »
A sample character who maxes out CHA.

Off the top of my head, she gets 67 AC, +21 to all saving throws, insane spell DCs, uses CHA for concentration checks, dexterity checks (including initiative) and pretty much a host of other things.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 02:30:51 PM »
A sample character who maxes out CHA.

Off the top of my head, she gets 67 AC, +21 to all saving throws, insane spell DCs, uses CHA for concentration checks, dexterity checks (including initiative) and pretty much a host of other things.
Dude, you don't have to put your URLs in quotes.
Also, I'm curious as to how a half-fey qualities for half-vampire, since I don't think the template can be applied to fey type creatures.

Anyway, as previously mentioned, things like
Ghost2/Battledancer 1/ Hexblade 3/Cloistered Cleric 3/ Prestige Paladin (of freedom) 2/ Mystic Wanderer 1.
With divine shield, and "channel positive energy: Fate's mercy" (KoKPG). Can add cha to AC four times, cha to saves four times, and your cha to your allies' saves once.  

IIRC, there's a first level pally divination buff that gives your cha bonus to a single save as well, which can be used on allies.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.