Author Topic: A question about dice rolling  (Read 2764 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
A question about dice rolling
« on: January 18, 2011, 10:33:07 AM »
A question for you all; how powerful would it be to have an ability that caused every d20 you rolled to be treated as if you rolled 1 higher? Meaning, for example, that a roll of 1 would be treated as a roll of 2, and that a roll of 19 would be a 20?

How effective would the reverse of this be as a debuff? Meaning every 20 is now a 19, and every 2 is now a 1?

Can anyone run the numbers on this?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Mixster

• Grape ape
Re: A question about dice rolling
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 10:35:46 AM »
A question for you all; how powerful would it be to have an ability that caused every d20 you rolled to be treated as if you rolled 1 higher? Meaning, for example, that a roll of 1 would be treated as a roll of 2, and that a roll of 19 would be a 20?

How effective would the reverse of this be as a debuff? Meaning every 20 is now a 19, and every 2 is now a 1?

Can anyone run the numbers on this?
Like bless?
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 10:47:23 AM »
Luckstone, 20,000 gp
+1 luck bonus on saving throws, ability checks, and skill checks

Ioun Stone, Pale green Prism, 30,000 gp
+1 competence bonus on attack rolls, saves, skill checks, and ability checks

What other d20 rolls are there? Dispel checks, initiative (perhaps an ability check), SR rolls...

Would 19 be treated like a natural 20?
Treating a 1 like a 2 is certainly nice.
Altogether, it is not something that a feat should give. Perhaps a feat chain of at least 3. Or a capstone of a lucky prestige class.

As a debuff, it seems less painful.

Edit: It is similar to what a negative level gives... takes
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:55:56 AM by cru »

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 11:02:17 AM »

I probably should have explained it better; it's not a +1 or a -1.

Basically, let's take saves for example. You roll a 19; due to this ability, it's treated as a natural 20, and you automatically make the save. If you had rolled a natural 1, you would be treated as having rolled a 2, thus not auto-failing.

The inverse would be true for debuffing; in effect, they can't roll natural 20's, and the chance of them rolling a natural 1 is doubled.

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 11:08:30 AM »
And what do you want to hear?

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 11:08:58 AM »
The real effects of it would depend on the TARGET numbers. Other than that you pretty much summed it up.

Infallible Luckstone
A person in possession of this stone seems to narrowly dodge the worst of any disaster, as well as stumble into the luckiest situations.Bless
50,000gp value

Edit: The previous item was pulled entirely out of my ass.

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 11:11:04 AM »
I'd value this higher than 50k. I can see an aura of this as a 9th lvl spell, with duration rounds/level. Perhaps dismissible to get a natural 20 on one roll.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 11:27:03 AM »
I'm just trying to gauge if a BBEG with a permanent effect of this would be too much for equal level, unoptomized players.

Basically, the villain is going to be one lucky bastard (basically, Spellthief 5/Fortune's Friend 1 to start, as the players level the levels in Fortune's friend start going up as well. He has Master Spellthief through Precocious Apprentice.), for whom combat seems to go in his favor excessively. Basically, I was planning on using the positive version on him and the negative version on the players.
Really, I want to know how much having both effects up would fuck up probability.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 11:32:09 AM »
I'm just trying to gauge if a BBEG with a permanent effect of this would be too much for equal level, unoptomized players.

Basically, the villain is going to be one lucky bastard (basically, Spellthief 5/Fortune's Friend 1 to start, as the players level the levels in Fortune's friend start going up as well. He has Master Spellthief through Precocious Apprentice.), for whom combat seems to go in his favor excessively. Basically, I was planning on using the positive version on him and the negative version on the players.
Really, I want to know how much having both effects up would fuck up probability.

Then it really depends on the party, and his saving throws.

Are his saving throws so good he will only fail on ones? Then this ability is crazy good. If he'll fail on twos as well, it is about the same as +1 to saving throws for that part.

Is the party attempting to use a vorpal weapon? Is he? If he is, then this ability is about the worth of a 5-7th level spell on that area. If the party is, then it is about the same as a +6 weapon.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 11:36:28 AM »

It'd remove the 5% auto-fail. That's the only thing I can think of at the moment that it would do in terms of probability.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 11:41:08 AM »
I just thought of something;

Wouldn't it increase his critical range by 1 and decrease that of the party by 1?

How powerful would this be if I changed it to run off his Charisma modifier (+3 effective roll for him, -3 effective roll for the party)? I mean, he just got 15% more for criticals, he autosaves on a 17 or higher, and the party has about a 20% chance of autofailing a save...

Would that be too strong?

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 11:43:17 AM »
this is definitely a bit different than a simple +/- 1 modifier .... though, the major implication would really only be relevant to attack rolls and saves:
- double the chance for an auto-succeed/fail (10% instead of 5%)
- +/- 5% chance of crit-threat.

yeah, this seems huge.
I can see having this be a [luck] feat, with a bit of a feat tax involved ...

Give and Take [Luck]
Prereq: Victor's Luck; Advantageous Avoidance; either Better Lucky than Good -or- Dumb Luck, character level 6+
Benefit: as an immediate action, you can activate this feat to cause a specific roll made by any creature within 30 feat (including yourself) to be adjudicated as if the die result were either 1 higher or 1 lower than the actual result.
You gain 1 luck reroll per day.

maybe add a "special" -- can use this feat once to increase and once to decrease in each encounter.

:shrug
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:46:42 AM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 12:02:51 PM »
+1 on all rolls means,

+5% greater chance to succeed roll (Assuming no values have left the RNG)
+5% chance of success in the case of nat 1
+5% chance of automatic success

What you're left with is Keen saves, +1 critical range, and never critically failing. And a +1 Awesome bonus to everything.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 12:50:57 PM »
I think I'll make it the feat. So my player's can take it eventually; I mean, everyone likes luck, don't they?

Thanks everyone, you've been a great help.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 01:08:42 PM »
I would take that on every character ever, just to negate critical failures.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 01:15:30 PM »
Idk, I probably would only take it if I were going for a lucky bastard, which I am in this case; otherwise, you need 3 feats for it.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 02:03:50 PM »
"I'm afraid its AC is so high you can only hit it on a 20."
*gulp* "Okay." *rolls* "Sweet! That's just what I got."
"No, you rolled a 21. Your attack misses."
"But..." :(
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 08:26:51 PM »
Well, since a 20 is the highest you can roll, it would cap at 20.

Didn't think that needed to be said.

"Ha, the only way I can fail is if I roll a 1!"
"Alright, what did you get?"
"I got a 1! Fuuuu-"
"Nope, that's a 0. Your cool."

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]