Author Topic: When do you say a character is too independent for a world?  (Read 5498 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: When do you say a character is too independent for a world?
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 07:10:59 PM »
Of course, immortals handbook is just dumb on an incredibly wide variety of levels
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 07:12:17 PM »
Immortals Handbook, if you accept d20, would allow for RAW ways to get a divine rank. It's not even that hard, either. And you know, when you count the chances that a character gets to level 9, I would not be surprised if most people of level 14 had at least hero-deity status. According to that book, any intelligent outsider between 16-20 HD has hero-deity rank, I.E: Divine Rank 0.

It is also merely 1990 spellcraft DC epic spell to become a hero-deity through magic alone. Of course, killing 20 balors (alone) also does that and is a lot easier.
While I like Upper Krust's system,it is not WotC thus many dms  will not accept it.....
Also a nit-pick a hero deity in Immortal's handbook system has divine rank 3 not 0.....

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 07:53:15 PM »
To the OP ...

perhaps an absolutely average character build should be proposed.

Commoner 10 is the Average highest ranked dude in a +0 average Town, ala DMG table.
Chances are on a random distribution, that an Expert 10-12 isn't going to happen.
Commoner 10 has 2 chances at the Leadership feat, out of say 2000 choices.
This to get a Psion 7 and that juicy PsyRef, to "fix" things good !!
But we're still dealing with chances and odds that are plain old bad to infintestimal.

So 1/8 chance at Cleric 8 or Wiz 8 or Sorc 8 or Druid 8 each = 50% for one of them.

Not too many cans of worms to open so far ...
I think the average +3 town should get a little crazy some time.

Amadi

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 08:42:10 PM »
Also a nit-pick a hero deity in Immortal's handbook system has divine rank 3 not 0.....

That's because it runs on a different set of rankings. Divine rank 3 there is divine rank 0 if we go by normal D&D rankings, and I assumed most would be more familiar with the latter.

And if we go by pure RAW example, all characters over certain level ascend to godhood through pun-pun-ism. RAW, they should be able to make the knowledge checks required to realize their ability to do so. Even if we go by intent, it is fairly reasonable to assume that a level 15 character has a huge following, enough to grant him a divine rank. Even if we just say "no PCs cannot get divine ranks ever", which is probably against the premise of 3.5 as a simulationist system, a character of level 15 is completely capable of living at his power infinitely somewhere. A wizard 9 does not have too much problems for wiping most societies with careful thinking. A level 15 one isn't far away from annihilating most inhabitants of the material plane.

Then again, I am of the opinion that if we want to run a realistic campaign, it should be done under E6 ruleset, and if we aren't trying to run it realistically, we should not try to apply logic such as what the OP asked into it.