Author Topic: What you be the best wizard build from those restrictions...  (Read 4799 times)

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: What you be the best wizard build from those restrictions...
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 11:41:28 PM »
The book I'd pick is Spell Compendium

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 12:27:38 AM »
Clueless DM...nice
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 12:32:20 AM by BeholderSlayer »
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 08:43:07 AM »
I support the incantatrix for much wicked killingness.

Then you can persist spells for the entire party, which should be clerics (who choose complete divine) and druids (who choose greenbound summoning or planar shepherd) with such weird limitations.

Sevenfold veil is also a good option, they can get nigh unkillable on the high levels.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 09:52:08 AM »
Both PgtF and SpC are valid choices.  PgtF WILL be a stronger character, but the SpC one may be slightly more flexible assuming spells are easy to find in your world.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Maculosa

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 01:03:42 PM »
I will go Incantatrix...

So here is the build i did :

Str:9 Dex:15 Con:14 Int:15 Wis:12 Cha:10

L1 = Wizard 1
Feats: Iron Will / Spellcasting Prodigy

L2 = Wizard 2
Feats: -

L3 = Wizard 3
Feats: Skill Focus (Spellcraft)

L4 = Wizard 4

L5 = Wizard 5
Feats: Extend Spell

L6 = Incantatrix 1
Feats: Empower Spell / Split Ray
Prohibited School (?)

L7 = Incantatrix 2

L8 = Incantatrix 3

L9 = Incantatrix 4
Feats: Chain Spell / Quicken Spell

L10 = Incantatrix 5

L11 = Incantatrix 6

L12 = Incantatrix 7
Feats: Twin Spell / Spell Focus (?)

L13 = Incantatrix 8

L14 = Incantatrix 9

L15 = Incantatrix 10
Feats: Persistent Spell / Spell Focus (?)

Now i have the prerequiste to entre Archmage for the last five levels.

Which school of magic i should prohibit when entering Incantatrix ?
And which 2 school should i focus on for the prerequiste of Archmage ?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 01:45:55 PM »
Ban evocation.  (Greater) Shadow Evocation can duplicate the few utility spells you may need.

I'd take more metamagic feats to truly take advantage of incantratrix's abilities.  If you DO end up playing past level 15, you can always go loremaster instead and keep picking up free feats. =)
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 05:46:36 PM »
Chain Spell and Split Ray are not in PGtF.  As awesome as they are, by your restrictions you'll probably have to do without.

Take Craft Wand at level 5, move Extend Spell to level 1, nix Spellcasting Prodigy.  Spellcasting Prodigy is decent, but Craft Wand is awesome, especially with Metamagic Spell Trigger.  That should leave one slot open that must be a Metamagic feat.  Widen is a good metamagic to get for free (just not worth 3 levels), and Heighten is good for various shenanigans.

I agree with the "Ban Evocation" sentiment.  You can pick up Magic Missile, Scorching Ray, and Fireball before banning it if you like, and you'll still be able to cast them afterwards.  Truthfully, those should be the only three pure blasting spells you ever need, and it's really not impossible to make-do without them.

Spell Focus should probably be Illusion and Abjuration, given that Illusions are just plain awesome and Abjuration contains some really powerful spells you should use, despite them having saving throws.

Maculosa

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 06:34:58 PM »
I negociated with the DM since my character will be metamagic focused, he allowed that i take metamagic feats from others book! but ONLY metamagic feats, nothing else..

I forgot Craftwand is a prerequiste for be able to use the metamagic spell trigger... i will have to take it.
i would like to keep spellcasting prodigy since my INT is low... and more spells is always good.
Maybe i could drop the Archmage after lvl15, this will free up the 2 spell focus feats.
i could add Craftwand and maybe craft wonderous items.

One question about the metamagic spell trigger ability:
if i understand right... ex: i have a wand of fireball and i want to add quicken spell to it... since fireball is a 3th level spell and quicken is +4 lvl i would have to spend 7 charges to cast one quickened fireball from the wand ? right ?

I tought of bannig either Illision or Necromancy.
Illusion got some good spell like Mirror image or blur and stuff like that but see nothing that amazing from this school.
Necromancy got some good debuff spells but not much.

Chain Spell and Split Ray are not in PGtF.  As awesome as they are, by your restrictions you'll probably have to do without.

Take Craft Wand at level 5, move Extend Spell to level 1, nix Spellcasting Prodigy.  Spellcasting Prodigy is decent, but Craft Wand is awesome, especially with Metamagic Spell Trigger.  That should leave one slot open that must be a Metamagic feat.  Widen is a good metamagic to get for free (just not worth 3 levels), and Heighten is good for various shenanigans.

I agree with the "Ban Evocation" sentiment.  You can pick up Magic Missile, Scorching Ray, and Fireball before banning it if you like, and you'll still be able to cast them afterwards.  Truthfully, those should be the only three pure blasting spells you ever need, and it's really not impossible to make-do without them.

Spell Focus should probably be Illusion and Abjuration, given that Illusions are just plain awesome and Abjuration contains some really powerful spells you should use, despite them having saving throws.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 06:51:14 PM »
I negociated with the DM since my character will be metamagic focused, he allowed that i take metamagic feats from others book! but ONLY metamagic feats, nothing else..

I forgot Craftwand is a prerequiste for be able to use the metamagic spell trigger... i will have to take it.
i would like to keep spellcasting prodigy since my INT is low... and more spells is always good.
Maybe i could drop the Archmage after lvl15, this will free up the 2 spell focus feats.
i could add Craftwand and maybe craft wonderous items.

One question about the metamagic spell trigger ability:
if i understand right... ex: i have a wand of fireball and i want to add quicken spell to it... since fireball is a 3th level spell and quicken is +4 lvl i would have to spend 7 charges to cast one quickened fireball from the wand ? right ?

I tought of bannig either Illision or Necromancy.
Illusion got some good spell like Mirror image or blur and stuff like that but see nothing that amazing from this school.
Necromancy got some good debuff spells but not much.

You should bar Enchantment, Necromancy and Evocation if going for three schools. Those are the schools that offer the least variety in spells, and though Enchantment and Necromancy have awesome spells, most of them can be mimicked with Transmutation. And the best Evocation spells can be mimicked with the Illusion and Conjuration school.

Metamagic spell trigger just makes you expend the extra number of charges that the metamagic feat modifies it by. A good old trick is picking up a rod of enervation, and adding Twin, Split and empower to it. While it might seem like a lot to spend 7 charges (4 with 10 levels of incantatrix), it will almost instantly waste anything that is not immune to level drain.

If you are considering which metamagic feats to add, these are the top 5 used by incantatrices (in no particular order):
Extend Spell, Persistent spell (get some items to get an extreme spellcraft check), sculpt spell, chain spell, split ray.

With reach spell (from archmage or from a rod) and chain spell, you can easily target the entire party with your buffs. Good buffs are wraithstrike and the like.

Also, there is this handbook if you need to make sure what spells you need:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.0

Also, I don't really get why you want spellcasting prodigy, it rarely adds that much. to get more spells just specialize instead.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 07:29:16 PM »
Spellcasting Prodigy does nothing for you until at least 7th level, when it gives you a 4th level spell without an Int-boosting item, or a first-level spell with an Int-boosting item.  At 9th-level it gives you two (a first-level and a fifth-level), and that's the most effective it will be, ever.  Craft Wand will take any amount of downtime you have and turn it into a stockpile of spells ready to be used in coming days.  Each wand is basically 50 spells, so if you make 1 wand every 20 days then Craft Wand will be at least as good as Spellcasting Prodigy, with the added bonus that you can use that entire stockpile of spells in one day if need be.  If you make an Eternal wand, then it's like permanently adding a spell per day to your selection of spells known.  This is really nice for spells like Mage Armor, which you're going to cast every day regardless, and for which CL really doesn't matter that much.