Author Topic: Impregnable Armor  (Read 22464 times)

Mixster

• Grape ape
Re: Impregnable Armor
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2011, 04:48:02 PM »
While this is true, that it weighs less than a modern soldiers equipment, fighting in close combat with a sword is much more exhausting than firing rifles.

Even without armour, fighting in close combat is extremely tiring, I've done dagger-training (which is a medieval form of training with a wooden dagger to mark injuries), and after fifteen minutes where we were just wearing clothes, we were pretty exhausted.
Do this in an armour and it will be even worse. With proper stamina, you might get to being able to fight in a full plate for those full 15 minutes, but as soon as you have your visors down, you will become exhausted fast, as you cannot get enough air in.
Plate armored knights fought for three hours straight at Agincourt (Source: Juliet Barker's book on the subject)

But they probably fought in shifts.

Yeah I believe so too.

And what JaronK said too, in my belief the weather and terrain won the battle of Agincourt more than the longbows. Longbows had failed before on bright sunny days, without proper entrenching. But charging uphill, in rain and mud, against an entrenched foe, that uses horse-holes and spikes is a good way to lose a battle if I ever saw one, the fact that he doesn't need to engage you is just spicing on the cake, but I could be wrong, it isn't my main field of interest.

Yes, if you hit a naked man with a well place strike from your quarterstaff, you can cause severe trauma to him. If his armour is build properly, it will disperse the impact over a broad area, and then into the linen padding, which should absorb most of the damage. Yes, you would make a minor dent in the armour, but you wouldn't wreck it. That would take multiple blows to the same location.
Yes you can cause a major concussion of you hit the helmet. But hitting head and chest is the hardest when fighting against a man with a longsword, that knows what he is doing.
The entire chest plate of some of the later gothic plates where held up by one strand that was on the center of the chest. You wont be able to cut it down. Because when you go into one of your standard guard formations, you protect yourself from it.

Parrying so you make it into a glancing blow doesn't hurt a longsword much, it is pretty much made for it. Do it with a Quarterstaff, and some of the flexibility of it is already ruined. Yes a quarterstaff has better reach, however, most pole weapons have that too. They however have the added benefit of actually being able to deal piercing blows that can strike right through armour.

The way Longswords are held in the media, always at the handle is stupid. Yes you can start your guard there, but as soon as you get in closer, you'll have to adapt, and use the Handle and Pommel to beat you enemies.
The pommel and handle of a longsword are actually heavier than a Quarterstaff, meaning those would cause more blunt trauma.

However, if living in the 15th to 17th century, I would agree that quarterstaves have their uses. They are hard to parry with light swords, that get more common. And they are easier to learn.

Also, I agree that swim check penalties are quite insane, but so are the other armour penalties as well, unless a fullplate is really a plate armour combined chainmail with linen underneath (as used in the early middle ages).
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Theomniadept

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2011, 05:19:51 PM »
Uh no, just going off the D&D descriptions full plate is padding covered in plates across the entire body, legs, arms, and all. I was saying Dwarven Battle Plate is described as larger full plate with more plates with weight dispersement, but that's neither here nor there.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2011, 09:11:22 PM »
I have a question. I know what happens when we discuss physics, but what dies when we discuss historical accuracy?
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2011, 09:12:08 PM »
I have a question. I know what happens when we discuss physics, but what dies when we discuss historical accuracy?
A little bit of one of my two hearts.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2011, 09:28:42 PM »
A little bit of one of my two hearts.

Heh, only two hearts? Join the Chaos Legions and become a Spawn. We not only have great Dental/Life coverage, but we provide spare organs!

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2011, 09:48:44 PM »
All this talk about historical accuracy reminds me that I want to make a Monk launcher.  Their bodies are weapons by the rules.  Such adds a new dimension to the phrase "flying kick."
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2011, 09:54:40 PM »
All this talk about historical accuracy reminds me that I want to make a Monk launcher.  Their bodies are weapons by the rules.  Such adds a new dimension to the phrase "flying kick."
Conductor stone railgun?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2011, 11:13:44 PM »
Their bodies are weapons by the rules.

So if you use the monk as a thrown weapon... 50% chance...

Finally, a way to break the class.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2011, 11:19:35 PM »
Their bodies are weapons by the rules.

So if you use the monk as a thrown weapon... 50% chance...

Finally, a way to break the class.

I think that's only if it's ammunition. So you do need a launcher.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2011, 12:59:59 AM »
The problem is throwing a Monk counts as using an improvised weapon, and those are destroyed if you roll a nat 1 or 20.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2011, 02:08:27 AM »
Hmm, Goliath Warrior w/ the Bonded Weapon ACF bound to some random halfling monks...

And they get enchanted for the low, low cost of some PP.

I would so play this, if I could get it to be allowed.

Also, I think you should just take Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Monk), just because.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2011, 08:52:55 AM »
Also, I think you should just take Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Monk), just because.

Monks are a core class, nothing exotic about them.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2011, 11:11:56 AM »
They are exotic like tibetan rice dishes.  Strange, yellow, and you hardly feel it when they're in your tummy.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2011, 01:23:42 PM »
They are exotic like tibetan rice dishes.  Strange, yellow, and you hardly feel it when they're in your tummy.
And fifteen minutes later you could do with another?