Author Topic: Stargate  (Read 1587 times)

Alkaru

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Stargate
« on: January 16, 2011, 06:23:08 PM »
I'm thinking of starting up a new D&D campaign in the Stargate setting, and I remember seeing some D20 books for it.  They looked absolutely stunning, but does anyone remember if there is any good crunch in them? Oh yeah, is it using the Modern rules or not? (I've never used Modern before). It's done by AEG and I've never been that impressed with their stuff before, but thought it was worth checking here.

In case it helps, I'm not too interested in following the standard SG-1 side of things.  The basic plan so far is that one Goa'uld threw the others off planet Earth, and decided to carry out a social experiment which largely involved him remaining hidden from the population, with some key exceptions.  Don't want to turn this into a religious debate thread, but yes this was a complicated plan involving certain apparently monotheistic religions. 

Also, given I'm planning to start things as kind of occult conspiracy style, is Modern worth looking at anyway?

Thanks

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
Re: Stargate
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 06:49:57 PM »
The biggest change I remember is dynamic initiative. For instance if you pin down some Jaffa with some suppressing fire their initiative count goes down. Sounds like it could be either really neat or a real pain. The book seemed like it would have enough crunch for someone to run a game in it. The classes/feats seem similar to d20 modern, even if they aren't the same the should be the same general power level. For the campaign you're thinking of you'll probably have to stat up things that aren't in the books, but you'll have to do that with any system, so Stargate d20 should probably work for your game.

Alkaru

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 07:02:32 PM »
Sounds like a nice mechanic, which makes a lot of sense for the setting.  And I remember there being a nice world building book, and tips for that are always handy. But nothing outstanding basically.

Bit of a heretical thought then - any better systems than D&D for this people can suggest?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 07:38:21 PM »
The RPG used the Spycraft system, which was d20-based but not d20 Modern.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 02:59:20 AM »
Try Star Wars Saga Edition.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 03:00:09 AM »
Perfect! Accounts for the Jaffa Storm Trooper effect and everything!

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Alkaru

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 01:20:46 PM »
Good point!  And I've already got SWSE so will have a look through and see what can be lifted.

Probably the only other I will need is stats for some of the Goa'uld tech like the zat gun etc.  I'm sure I can find or make stuff for that.

Thanks.