Author Topic: Pathfinder Cleric optimization help  (Read 20124 times)

Absolon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Pathfinder Cleric optimization help
« on: January 14, 2011, 02:58:17 PM »
So I rolled some stats for a Pathfinder game the other day and I thought I'd go with cleric, as I've never played on before and are a good addition to any group.  The problem is that we're using Pathfinder core books, APG and about anything found on the Pathfinder SRD.  I have zero experience in playing Pathfinder and we're starting at level 1 and I expect it to go on for a while.  I've read the books and I think I understand the differences between it and 3.5 but trying to ascertain the optimal courses to take is not always easy, so I thought I'd ask for help.   :D  I've searched the internets for help on this, but information has been sparse.

I want to try and have a buff/melee based cleric using a two-handed weapon (I have an illogical attachment to X3 weapons, so I'll be using an Earth breaker Mace), human for proficiency in the mace and I know I want to channel positive energy.  After that, it starts to get difficult.  The War (tactics) and Law domains look good to me and they don't look as bad as Fire or Plant but are there better?  Thankfully, cleric divine spells (Divine Power/Righteous Might/Shield of Law/etc) are fairly straightforward but suggestions are certainly welcome.

My rolled stats were 18 17 16 16 15 14.  Yes, my rolls were utterly ridiculous.

Feats I think look ok thus far: Turn Undead, Extra Channel, Power Attack, Furious Focus, Improved Initiative, Toughness (?), Vital Strike and Lunge.  Any and all help is appreciated.   :)

krusk

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Pathfinder Cleric optimization help
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 03:58:10 PM »
What level?

And IIRC the big draws of a pathfinder cleric are the same draws of a 3.5 cleirc. With new domain mechanics.

Absolon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 05:01:56 PM »
I have zero experience in playing Pathfinder and we're starting at level 1 and I expect it to go on for a while.

Ikeren

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 07:14:57 PM »
If your DM allows 3.5E port over, you'll want any or all of the great things from 3.5E clerics.

If your DM doesn't allow 3.5E port over, you're basically looking at slightly modified Core + DMG feats and the usual spells.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 08:04:03 PM »
War (tactics) is a good choice for the initiative power, but instead of Law I'd suggest the Luck Domain. Your setup for feats looks good although Vital Strike always struck me as a little lame, also Lunge only works on your turn so it probably isn't worth taking either. Thinking of replacements is a little hard, although I'd recommend craft wonderous item if your campaign will have enough downtime to let you use it. Pathfinder's version of persistent spell is also very strong so it is worth considering.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 07:40:52 AM »
I know it'd be a radically different concept, but just look at the Animal (Fur) domain.  There's a feat in the SRD somewhere that bumps that AC up to your full Cleric level, and the domain spells are basically Wild Shape.  Combine with the Improved Share Spells feat and you've got two melee characters for the price of one.

Absolon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 12:07:19 AM »
Since 3.5 persistent spell is unavailable due to book restrictions, I figure quicken would be of greater value to get buffs up asap.  Any spells that I should pay special attention besides Divine Power and Righteous Might?

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 03:56:43 PM »
Since there isn't an equivalent to Divine Metamagic in Pathfinder yet you're probably better off using those 8th and 9th level slots for regular spellcasting instead of quickened buffs.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 04:52:31 PM »
Since there isn't an equivalent to Divine Metamagic in Pathfinder yet you're probably better off using those 8th and 9th level slots for regular spellcasting instead of quickened buffs.
This.  Also, Divine Power in Pathfinder isn't exactly what it was in 3.5e.  Now it's like un-errata'd Divine Favor + Haste.

Absolon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 08:54:09 PM »

Point taken and I agree with you.  Why in the world would I want to use higher level spell slots and take up a feat when I can just have a quicken rod?

This.  Also, Divine Power in Pathfinder isn't exactly what it was in 3.5e.  Now it's like un-errata'd Divine Favor + Haste.

This is definately true, though you still get a nice bonus that ends up getting you more damage net per hit and +1 more hit overall at level 20 at least.  What you do lose is the stacking with Haste, which does hurt but it's just added to the list of the other billion extra attacks that don't stack with Haste.