Author Topic: Help with a 3.5 Cleric who fancies himself a Jedi  (Read 4238 times)

Periden

• Monkey bussiness
Help with a 3.5 Cleric who fancies himself a Jedi
« on: January 12, 2011, 05:54:50 PM »
Okay, this is my first time asking for help on this forum for a character build.

Well, the game is 3.5 D&D, and it takes place on Earth, in the future, somewhere in the year 2060.  Everything that you have on earth now, will be in the future, like pop culture, and politics, and the cultures and religion you find now will still be there in 2060.  Also we will have tech in this game, such as weapons and cars and computers...

What I need help on, is that one of the players, who is pretty incapable of doing anything on his own.  He needs some serious help, and I volunteered as my character is already done.  I am hoping for a highly optimized character due to his inability to play well.  We are hoping that with an amazing character he will not suck too hard.

He choose to play a Cleric.  Specifically a Jedi cleric.   He wants to be a Jedi, and follow the force.  The DM is fine with this, and just chalked it up to this becoming a cult.

We are starting at level 1.  (He and I never actually played at that level before, so survivability is most important factor at early levels).
Also, the current party make up is this; Undead Wizard/War Weaver, Warmage/Wizard/Ultimate Magus, and a Dual Welding Gun Ranger, and we might have a rogue but his place in the game is questionable.

Material that is not allowed are, Dragon Magazine, Eberron, Forgotten Realms and Tome of Battle (due to the DM's ignorance of the material).  Everything else is allowed.

The guy imagines a character that will be capable of sustained combat, be diplomatic, be sneaky when necessary and is either lawful or neutral good.

Equipment will be determined later, as the DM will give equipment after seeing the build.

The Human Jedi Cleric's ability scores are (this can be changed though due to 80 PB.)

Str - 16
Dex - 8
Con - 12
Int - 12
Wis - 18
Cha - 14

Mixster

• Grape ape
Re: Help with a 3.5 Cleric who fancies himself a Jedi
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 06:05:41 PM »
Switch around Strength and Cha.

Get the Persistent spell chain, and have him persist lesser vigor on himself on low levels.

Make him go into church inquisitor, then a level of prestige paladin. later levels should probably be radiant servant or Contemplative, or possibly a mix.

As soon as he hits level 7, have him persist Divine power on himself and walk around being the melee hero.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 06:21:46 PM »
for an 80 pt buy... try this:

Str - 12
Dex - 10
Con - 14
Int - 12
Wis - 16
Cha - 16

use Cloistered Cleric ....

:D

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 06:43:52 PM »
What type of Jedi does he envision himself as?

I only ask because these two guys are Jedi but are pretty different in how they conduct themselves...

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:16:15 PM by dark_samuari »

Periden

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 06:55:22 PM »
Sorry I only see Mace Windu....

I really don't know particularly what kind of Jedi he wants.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 07:02:12 PM »
Then it's safe to assume he wants a lightsaber and telekinesis, because guardian or consular, all jedi have that shit.

Btw, you can win the game with telekinesis, and still have plenty of time to enhance your lightsaber skills.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Periden

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 07:11:38 PM »
Then it's safe to assume he wants a lightsaber and telekinesis, because guardian or consular, all jedi have that shit.

Btw, you can win the game with telekinesis, and still have plenty of time to enhance your lightsaber skills.
+1

That is pretty much what he wants.  Force "powers" and using lightsabers.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 07:23:24 PM »
He's going to take the character you build and shit on it. Stock up on tissues.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 08:31:46 PM »
He's going to take the character you build and shit on it. Stock up on tissues.

+1. Also getting telekineses on a cleric at a low level is a pain in the balls. But it is the quintessential Jedi power, I know he says cleric but maybe adeptardent would work better.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:26:54 AM by juton »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 08:53:06 PM »
Maybe wu-jen would work better?  They get magnetism, which is kinda sorta like telekinesis, and they have the whole selective taboo thing, which fits jedi better.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 10:04:14 PM »
If we are going to start throwing out suggestions than I nominate Ardent for the best class suited to such an endeavor.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 10:08:47 PM »
You might want to check out Psionics. As dark_samuari pointed, Ardent looks good.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 10:13:01 PM »
You might want to check out Psionics. As dark_samuari pointed, Ardent looks good.

...and it fits Jedi flavor a lil better imo.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 10:17:06 PM »

...and it fits Jedi flavor a lil better imo.

It does. :p
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 10:25:56 PM »
I did this a while ago in the Ardent handbook thread.

So in my process to replicate what a Jedi may be like within the 3.5 system I found the Ardent to be a really good way off pulling it off. So here are some of the mantles that I had (after using the ACF to reconstruct them). Some notes to be had though, the mantles were considerably created lower-powered to establish the power-level as represented in the films and the Magic Mantle is chosen for conflict as to allow access to flame blade wands (lightsabres...) for battle.

The Force (Force Mantle)
Granted Power: While psionically focused, you gain a +1 deflection bonus to your Armor Class.
1.Detect Psionics (1): You detect the presence of psionics.
2.Know Direction & Location (1): You discover where you are and what direction you face.
3.Mindlink (1): You forge a limited mental bond with another creature.
4.Vigor (1): Gain 5 temporary hit points.
5.Psionic Suggestion (2): Compels subject to follow stated course of action.
6.Read Thoughts (2): Detect surface thoughts of creatures in range.
7.Telekinetic Maneuver (4): Telekinetically bull rush, disarm, grapple, or trip your target.
8.Psionic Divination (4): Provides useful advice for specific proposed action.
9.Correspond (4): Hold mental conversation with another creature at any distance.
10.Remote Viewing (4): See, hear, and potentially interact with subjects at a distance.

Conflict (Magic Mantle)
Granted Power: You gain Use Magic Device as a class skill. if you purchased ranks in Use Magic Device or Use Psionic Device at the cross-class rare, you get additional ranks in Use Magic Device or Use Psionic Device as if it had always been a class skill for you. In addition, you always treat magic and psionics as identical, Therefore, powers such as dispel psionics work for both magic and psionics. Most campaigns already treat them in this manner, so this mantle is most useful in campaigns where they are considered different systems.
1.Inertial Armor (1): Tangible field of force provides you with +4 armor bonus to AC.
2.Offensive Precognition (1): Gain +1 insight bonus on your attack rolls.
3.Defensive Precognition (1): Gain +1 insight bonus to AC and saving throws.
4.Offensive Prescience (1): Gain +2 insight bonus on your damage rolls.
5.Hustle (3): Instantly gain a move action.
6.Psychic Containment (3): Temporarily disallow the use of psionics for a single creature.
7.Touchsight (3): Your telekinetic field tells you where everything is.
8.Schism (4): Your partitioned mind can manifest lower-level powers.
9.Energy Adaptation (4): Your body converts energy to harmless light.
10.Psychic Crush (5): Brutally crush subject's mental essence, reducing subject to -1 hit points.

The Light Side (Communication Mantle)
Granted Powers: While psionically focused, you gain a +2 competence bonus on Diplomacy checks and can use the Diplomacy skill more quickly and skillfully than others. When making a rushed Diplomacy check as a full-round action, you take only a -5 penalty on the check.
1.Empathy (1): You know the subject's surface emotions.
2.Bestow Power (2): Subject receives 2 power points.
3.Empathic Transfer (2): Transfer another's wounds to yourself.
4.Sustenance (2): You can go without food and water for one day
5.Serenity (2): Pacify a creature and stop it from fighting.
6.Restore Extremity (5): Return a lost digit, limb, or other appendage to subject.
7.Psionic Restoration (5): Restores level and ability score drains.
8.Psionic Revivify (5): Return the dead to life before the psyche leaves the corpse.
9.Suspend Life (6): Put yourself in a state akin to suspended animation.
10.True Metabolism (8): You regenerate 10 hit points/round.

The Dark Side (Death Mantle)
Granted Powers: You can expend your psionic focus to kill a dying creature, as the death knell spell.
1.Crisis of Breath (3): Disrupt subject's breathing
2.Death Urge (4): Implant a self-destructive compulsion.
3.Mindwipe (4): Subject's recent experiences wiped away, bestowing negative levels.
4.Energy Current (5): Deal 9d6 damage to one foe and half to another foe as long as you concentrate.
5.Crisis of Life (7): Stop subject's heart.
6.Insanity (7): Subject is permanently confused.
7.Mind Seed (8): Subject slowly becomes you.
8.Bend Reality (8): Alters reality within power limits.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 10:47:37 PM »
I did this a while ago in the Ardent handbook thread.

So in my process to replicate what a Jedi may be like within the 3.5 system I found the Ardent to be a really good way off pulling it off. So here are some of the mantles that I had (after using the ACF to reconstruct them). Some notes to be had though, the mantles were considerably created lower-powered to establish the power-level as represented in the films and the Magic Mantle is chosen for conflict as to allow access to flame blade wands (lightsabres...) for battle.

The Force (Force Mantle)
Granted Power: While psionically focused, you gain a +1 deflection bonus to your Armor Class.
1.Detect Psionics (1): You detect the presence of psionics.
2.Know Direction & Location (1): You discover where you are and what direction you face.
3.Mindlink (1): You forge a limited mental bond with another creature.
4.Vigor (1): Gain 5 temporary hit points.
5.Psionic Suggestion (2): Compels subject to follow stated course of action.
6.Read Thoughts (2): Detect surface thoughts of creatures in range.
7.Telekinetic Maneuver (4): Telekinetically bull rush, disarm, grapple, or trip your target.
8.Psionic Divination (4): Provides useful advice for specific proposed action.
9.Correspond (4): Hold mental conversation with another creature at any distance.
10.Remote Viewing (4): See, hear, and potentially interact with subjects at a distance.

Conflict (Magic Mantle)
Granted Power: You gain Use Magic Device as a class skill. if you purchased ranks in Use Magic Device or Use Psionic Device at the cross-class rare, you get additional ranks in Use Magic Device or Use Psionic Device as if it had always been a class skill for you. In addition, you always treat magic and psionics as identical, Therefore, powers such as dispel psionics work for both magic and psionics. Most campaigns already treat them in this manner, so this mantle is most useful in campaigns where they are considered different systems.
1.Inertial Armor (1): Tangible field of force provides you with +4 armor bonus to AC.
2.Offensive Precognition (1): Gain +1 insight bonus on your attack rolls.
3.Defensive Precognition (1): Gain +1 insight bonus to AC and saving throws.
4.Offensive Prescience (1): Gain +2 insight bonus on your damage rolls.
5.Hustle (3): Instantly gain a move action.
6.Psychic Containment (3): Temporarily disallow the use of psionics for a single creature.
7.Touchsight (3): Your telekinetic field tells you where everything is.
8.Schism (4): Your partitioned mind can manifest lower-level powers.
9.Energy Adaptation (4): Your body converts energy to harmless light.
10.Psychic Crush (5): Brutally crush subject's mental essence, reducing subject to -1 hit points.

The Light Side (Communication Mantle)
Granted Powers: While psionically focused, you gain a +2 competence bonus on Diplomacy checks and can use the Diplomacy skill more quickly and skillfully than others. When making a rushed Diplomacy check as a full-round action, you take only a -5 penalty on the check.
1.Empathy (1): You know the subject's surface emotions.
2.Bestow Power (2): Subject receives 2 power points.
3.Empathic Transfer (2): Transfer another's wounds to yourself.
4.Sustenance (2): You can go without food and water for one day
5.Serenity (2): Pacify a creature and stop it from fighting.
6.Restore Extremity (5): Return a lost digit, limb, or other appendage to subject.
7.Psionic Restoration (5): Restores level and ability score drains.
8.Psionic Revivify (5): Return the dead to life before the psyche leaves the corpse.
9.Suspend Life (6): Put yourself in a state akin to suspended animation.
10.True Metabolism (8): You regenerate 10 hit points/round.

The Dark Side (Death Mantle)
Granted Powers: You can expend your psionic focus to kill a dying creature, as the death knell spell.
1.Crisis of Breath (3): Disrupt subject's breathing
2.Death Urge (4): Implant a self-destructive compulsion.
3.Mindwipe (4): Subject's recent experiences wiped away, bestowing negative levels.
4.Energy Current (5): Deal 9d6 damage to one foe and half to another foe as long as you concentrate.
5.Crisis of Life (7): Stop subject's heart.
6.Insanity (7): Subject is permanently confused.
7.Mind Seed (8): Subject slowly becomes you.
8.Bend Reality (8): Alters reality within power limits.

I'm not very experienced with Ardents, can he still get Telekinetic Force?

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 03:52:08 AM »
I'm not sure if there's a Mantle with it, but in the Mind's Eye there's an ACF(?) that let's you customize your Mantles anyway.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 08:53:38 AM »
Ardent is also good because if he wants a more scholarly feel he can take a level of monk, and then two levels of Ur-Priest and then something that advances both. If he wants a more guardian-like feel he can grab a few levels of Warblade and a level of Illithid Slayer.
Top it off with Practiced manifester so all he loses is one mantle and it'll be fine.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Amadi

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 10:38:43 AM »
There is a spell from a Forgotten Realms supplement that grants a lightsaber for a short duration. Moonblade or something. It dealt decent damage and had some anti-caster properties, IIRC. Might be worth searching for.

concjo

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 11:50:51 AM »
It is indeed moonblade from the spell compendium, but it is only available to those with the moon domain only, i believe.