Author Topic: Best Weapons  (Read 56179 times)

Garryl

• Hong Kong
Re: Best Weapons
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2011, 09:05:31 PM »
1/400 chance is not good odds.
Excellent odds if you get more than 400 attacks and have a program on hand that can run massive amounts of dice rolls.

Well, it's good odds, in any case. 400 attacks still has a ~37% chance of not getting that 1/400 event, though.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2011, 09:07:26 PM »
Goes up to 60% if you coat them in drow poison.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2011, 11:04:33 PM »
1/400 chance is not good odds.
Excellent odds if you get more than 400 attacks and have a program on hand that can run massive amounts of dice rolls.

If you can't kill something with less than 20 attacks, you really should not be playing DnD. Especially if you have 400 attacks.

And I still wouldn't like something that only has a 1 in 400 chance of working at all. I'd spend my resources on something more practical.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2011, 11:26:02 PM »
And I still wouldn't like something that only has a 1 in 400 chance of working at all. I'd spend my resources on something more practical.
On the other hand, if your build is shooting off like eighty attacks/round anyway, might as well add on a low-probablity instawin to every attack.
Planetouched Handbook

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2011, 12:33:11 AM »
On the other hand, if your build is shooting off like eighty attacks/round anyway, might as well add on a low-probablity instawin to every attack.

You can get that down to 3/5s easily:
(Psionic Race) Full BAB x/Disciple of Dispater y/whatever z
Take Instinctive Consummator (Complete Psionic), and just attack normally. If you threaten a critical, just expend your Psionic focus to auto-critical. Hell, if your an Elan, you can do so by spending 3 pp, if you have the right feat.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Barbarossa

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2011, 06:45:52 PM »
Yes, most characters shouldn't need to (or be able to) use that many attacks. It's a decent enough plan when you have a low-probability instant death effect, though.

Of all the mundane weapons, the Kusari-Gama, Hand Crossbow, and Lance are favorites of mine for dual-wielding, ranged attacks, and melee combat respectively.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2011, 07:11:29 PM »

You can get that down to 3/5s easily:
(Psionic Race) Full BAB x/Disciple of Dispater y/whatever z
Take Instinctive Consummator (Complete Psionic), and just attack normally. If you threaten a critical, just expend your Psionic focus to auto-critical. Hell, if your an Elan, you can do so by spending 3 pp, if you have the right feat.

I think at 80 attacks a round vorpal becomes actually useful...

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2011, 07:56:10 PM »
I think at 80 attacks a round vorpal becomes actually useful...
Now is there any way to apply the vorpal quality to a Possible Sword as statted in Dragon? :D
(From the novels of China Mieville, phantom versions of every possible swing you could have made occur simultaneously. In game terms you make 20 attacks with every swing, with attack roll results of 1-20)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 08:00:30 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2011, 07:56:52 PM »
If we're using Vorpal, chance that an instinctive Consummater-using character would have a 1/20 chance of it firing off, PER ATTACK.

At about 80 attacks. You have a higher probability to have killed the thing through Vorpal than not.

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2011, 08:50:34 PM »
I find vorpal works....if you have 6 arms and using A Thousand Cuts/Time Stands Still.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2011, 10:53:09 PM »
I find vorpal works....if you have 6 arms and using A Thousand Cuts/Time Stands Still.

I'd rather use Stormguard Warrior with the latter.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

rypta

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2011, 03:10:49 AM »
Dragonsplits are fun.  1d6 damage, 19-20/x4 and count as light weapons for TWF and weapon finesse.  MMIV pg. 151.

They also look badass... (pg. 149 for a picture)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2011, 04:45:08 AM »
Dragonsplits are fun.  1d6 damage, 19-20/x4 and count as light weapons for TWF and weapon finesse.  MMIV pg. 151.

I believe you are reading that wrong: One end is 19-20, x2, and the other is just 20, x4. Check the errata and the other entries where the dragonsplits appear.

Not that I'm against that interpretation, it just seems... off.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2011, 05:26:46 AM »

I'd rather use Stormguard Warrior with the latter.
Yeah but theres something to say for snicker-snacking your way to success.

Optimal it is not but an epic monk/warblade/dervish going A Thousand Time Stands Still Cuts with Vorpal Unarmed Strike, Improved Crit(stacking with keen unarmed strike), Snap Kick, TWF, Speed on two hands, Flurry and Roundabout Kick can be fairly amusing.

EDIT: or at least the first time you do that with UMD'ed Body out of Body scrolls.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 05:29:28 AM by veekie »
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

rypta

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2011, 12:01:01 AM »
Dragonsplits are fun.  1d6 damage, 19-20/x4 and count as light weapons for TWF and weapon finesse.  MMIV pg. 151.

I believe you are reading that wrong: One end is 19-20, x2, and the other is just 20, x4. Check the errata and the other entries where the dragonsplits appear.

Not that I'm against that interpretation, it just seems... off.

Ah yes.  You are correct.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2011, 03:04:17 PM »
Wow, with all that haranguing over monkey grip, I'm surprised no one mentioned the heavy weapon proficiency from magic of faerun. increases the damage category of a weapon by one effective size, requires an EWP. Hey look, a larger weapon with no fail included (so long as you get the EWP for free)!

Large Heavy Jovar 4d6 18-20(x2)

I'm of the opinion that Large versions of weapons can be had using an EWP. See the fullblade from Arms and Equipment guide. So, with Exoticist fighter, some strongarm bracers and a potion of enlarge tattoo of expansion, you get a Colossal heavy jovar, 10d6 18-20(x2), I think. Might only be 8d6, but I thought it started jumping by increments of 2 after you hit 4d6.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2011, 03:59:19 PM »
Size categories improve overall weapon damage by roughly 50% and 33%, alternating, so that it doubles every two size categories. At least, that's a possible extrapolation from the weapon tables in the SRD, but technically there's no formula, it just uses the tabular progression and stops when the table runs out. It's also consistent with other similar formulas elsewhere in the rules (double the creatures -> +2 CR; double carrying capacity -> +5 Strength). I think that's the formula everyone uses when calculating king of smack-type builds, too.
4d6 -> 6d6 -> 8d6 -> 12d6 -> 16d6
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2011, 06:09:24 PM »
Isn't there a 3.0 formula that extends further?
Planetouched Handbook

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2011, 08:47:10 PM »
The best throwing weapon in existence is a Chaos Monk with Battle Jumper and Pounce. Additionally, it should have the Whirling Frenzy rage variant somehow, and be enchanted with Speed.

Why? Because each time you throw him, he gets a full attack, which should be between 6 and 11 attacks, and you are throwing him probably around 4 times, plus...

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2011, 08:51:14 PM »
The best throwing weapon in existence is a Chaos Monk with Battle Jumper and Pounce. Additionally, it should have the Whirling Frenzy rage variant somehow, and be enchanted with Speed.

Why? Because each time you throw him, he gets a full attack, which should be between 6 and 11 attacks, and you are throwing him probably around 4 times, plus...
With bloodstorm blade...

I had an old druid build lying around which gatling-threw a fleshraker with that feat. Plus venomfire.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]