Author Topic: Anyone here familiar with WoW?  (Read 4335 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Anyone here familiar with WoW?
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 01:42:37 AM »
How'zbout Wizard OR Wu Jen/Crusader/Jade Phoenix Mage?  That seems to fit what he wants.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 02:06:51 AM »
Another +1 for Spirit Shaman.  Try to focus more on Conjuration blasts like Arc Lightning.  Include PrCs that grant useful domains to expand his spell list.  Throw in a dip to get Turn Undead and Luck Devotion, too, so that he doesn't randomly roll utter crap for damage.

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 05:46:13 AM »

I thought Shujenga because you can easily get Healing spells, but its too much work to get the really awesome spells added to their list. Spirit Shaman has way more options, but I'm uncertain how he'll react to the Spirit based features. Are you okay with rebuilding some of it?
That wouldn't be a problem at all.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll ask him what exactly he wants to do with his character, but keep the ideas flowing. As for now it seems that looking into what I can build with a Spirit Shaman could be a good idea.

@Braininthejar: Thanks, that description will make it easier for me to work with.
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 09:00:21 AM »
Druid
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 01:02:01 PM »
Druid
For some weird reason that was the one class he did not want to play. And considering how the best build advice I have ever heard is "Druid 20 with Natural Spell" I can't understand this. But maybe he associates it with something the WoW druids do, something he wouldn't like to do.
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

Amadi

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 01:53:52 PM »
A WoW-ish Shaman would probably have the following abilities:

A: Swift/Immediate action SLAs/maneuvers dealing low-medium damage but applying bonus effects. Short range.
Earth Shock: Hard concentration check, to try and interrupt casting.
Wind Shock: The.. Same, but without damage? Doesn't really translate well.
Frost Shock: Fort save or slowed for one round?
Fire Shock: Reflex or catch flame. Burn damage/turn should probably increase slightly with level.

I suppose that Wind Shock could be immediate, but the others would be swift. That should be allright, and still give this class some of the anti-caster flavour of the class. Main way for shamans to use their swift actions. Wait X rounds after using one of these to use other, reduced through a feat.

B: Totems. Plant them down, they grant auras or attack. Move action to plant one, and they shouldn't break the action economy that bad.
Earthbind Totem: Entangle on the area surrounding the totem. Would probably affect anyone but the shaman.
Grounding Totem: Absorbs a spell cast on the area. In D&D, this would affect everyone's spells.
Searing TotemStrength of Earth Totem: Bonus to strength, obviously. The question is if it should be non-enhancement bonus or not?
Fire Elemental Totem: Summons an elemental. Destroying totem destroys the elemental.
Tremor Totem: Aura of courage, like paladins.

Et cetera. The area of these isn't too big, so remember that they are localized and can be avoided by kiting the shaman, or using ranged attacks. There can also be only one totem of any given type at a time. The area should probably be increasable through a feat. Totems could be broken, which can be an issue. I suggest that they have a magical shield blocking up to X damage, and if that goes through, the totem loses the magic. This is to stop opponents from completely destroying them. Alternatively, they should just be effects of magic.

C: Shields with a given amount of charges.[/b]
Earth Shield: Heals you whenever you are dealt damage. Probably should be "up to damage dealt" to avoid creating infinite out-of-combat healing in too obvious manner.
Water Shield: Restores.. I don't know what. Perhaps just make it block some energy damage?
Lightning Shield: Deals damage to attackers that hit you. Could be limited to natural/metallic weapons, or could be not.

These could be further expanded for the sake of D&D. With Full-Round action to activate and a given set of charges, which could be increased for a specific shield with a feat, these should be an interesting extra resource for shamans. DR 5/-, up to 50? Freedom of Movement? You get the idea.

D: Elemental weapons. Affects your handheld weapon.[/b]
Flametongue Weapon: Flaming, perhaps flaming burst?
Rockbiter Weapon: One size category larger? Wielder gets DR/adamantite?
Frostbrand Weapon: Cold damage, cold burst, slow on crits? Something like that.
Windfury Weapon: The extra attack, like haste. Alternatively, gives flurry to wielder?

One active/weapon at all times. Should be fairly handy. Nothing too great, but a nice buff. Also probably encourages dualwielding, which the WoW shamans do anyway. Still, does not force it, which is a good thing.

E: Other utility abilities.[/b]
Cleanse Spirit: Remove Curse.
Purge: Targeted dispel at an opponent.
Healing Wave: Healing lulz.
Chain Lightning: As the spell.
Hex: Save or suck. PaO to a frog or other harmless critter, but shorter duration and save at the end of each turn.
Heroism: Buff all allies, everyone exhausted after buff is over.
Spirit Wolf: Turn to wolf spirit for faster travel.

These should be a total of 3+Charisma/day, and you could split the uses between abilities whatever the way you wanted. There could be extra options available for feats, or extra uses.

Should be an interesting homebrew.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 04:16:24 PM »
Druid
For some weird reason that was the one class he did not want to play. And considering how the best build advice I have ever heard is "Druid 20 with Natural Spell" I can't understand this. But maybe he associates it with something the WoW druids do, something he wouldn't like to do.

Hmm Perhaps a cleric with animal and fire domain could catch the feeling of a close combat oriented shaman.

Yeah apparently he thinks DnD is WoW. Silly silly man.

But he wants battle field control, frost and lightning themed spells, and ability to turn into an animal? That's a druid to me.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 04:19:21 PM »
He doesn't turn into any sorts of animals, though, just a Wolf, and that's just for Transportation purposes, really.  The Aspect of the Wolf spell handles that fine.

So yes, Spirit Shaman.  No need for homebrew.