Author Topic: .... Another Door Opens?  (Read 7587 times)

Iskajir

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
.... Another Door Opens?
« on: January 11, 2011, 04:57:49 AM »
So, my secondary game has been declared dead.  :bigeye
My gnomish wizard powerhouse is no more.   :mad
Worse, I seem to have drawn the short straw on designated skill-monkey/ face. :pout

Ok, to make the best of it, I was going to try out beguiler.... maybe.... I'm really at a loss. I am on the point of giving up, and going to one of the ineffective build threads.

The Rules
All 3.5 WOTC books, except Faerun, Eberron, Dragonlance. Any un-errata'ed 3.0 book. Bo9S is nerfed beyond usefulness. Most of the web enhancements are cool.
Must be a 1st level human, NG or LG only. Starting cash. No flaws.
Nearly all cheese entries into double-casting classes are poopooed.
Rolled stats: 18,16,15,14,13,10.

The Party
Player 1: me. Hi!
Player 2: Psychic Warrior 1. Plans PsyWar2/Fighter2, then??? Dumped INT & CHA
Player 3: melee cleric. Plans Cleric 8/Fist of Raziel 10. Dumped INT & DEX
Player 4: Warmage going towards Elemental Savant, because why would you ever need anything but fire spells?  :banghead
Player 5: no definitive decision, but she always plays some form of Ugh-thwack barbarian, barbarian variant, frenzied beserker, or half-orc paragon.

What I Need
A build that covers a few of that party's gaping holes (trapfinding, social skills, UMD, utility casting, battlefield control), offers flexibility, playable and fun from level 1. Since being PHB human is non-negotiable, Able Learner will likely feature.
Factotum/ Cloistered Cleric makes a nice skill monkey.
Int-based Ultimate Magus would keep up for a while.
Master Spellthief?  ???

Thanks in advance. Any ideas would be great.

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: .... Another Door Opens?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 05:12:26 AM »
Beguiler

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 05:14:05 AM »
Bard? Binder? Beguiler?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 05:18:05 AM »
Take player 4's head and apply boot, IMO.

Jesus that's a lot...  Hmm...

Beguiler 1/Transmuter 5/UM 10/full-caster 4
Str 10, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 16

Nets Transmuter 17/Beguiler 10 casting at pretty damn good CLs.  Ban Evocation and Enchantment.  Take Immediate Magic and Spontaneous Divination ACFs, as well as Obtain Familiar/Improved Familiar feats when possible (mostly so you can polymorph it into a Troll and have it rape face in melee).  Because holy crap, sometimes I guess you just have to do *everything*...

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 05:18:40 AM »
chameleon? since you are already going with able learner....
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 05:19:51 AM »
Take player 4's head and apply boot, IMO.
It'll be fun to watch. Like a train wreck, but in slow motion.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 05:40:35 AM »
Tell the warmage to go a level of sanctified one (kord).

I would say...go marshal one, make sure you select skill focus (diplo) as a first level feat, that way you get a free feat from marshal (retrain skill focus a level two). You could go to level three if you really want, that way you can apply your Cha to two types of checks.

Depending on your level count, take two-four levels of factotum, follow up with Chameleon (take able learner of course).
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 05:59:53 AM »
Mention Searing Spell if nothing else.

Iskajir

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 06:03:07 AM »
@X-Codes- I have applied combat style, pointy stiletto, and platform style boots to no avail. I am now officially banned from nearly all forms of physical violence against Player 4, or I get no dinner/ Mt. Dew. He is 6-8" inches taller than I, has twice my mass, but whines ineffectually at a pitch reserved mainly for tantrums of extremely spoiled toddlers. He does, however, infallibly arrive on time, with food, beverages, his character sheet, and dice. Any PO (player optimization) ideas you have would be awesome.

Why immediate magic for a transmuter? Frankly, this looks like one of the worst.....
I can however, safely ban evocation. That base is covered.

I may try Beguiler 1/Domain Wiz 4/ UM 10/ etc..... or even Beguiler 2/Wiz 3/ UM 10/x5.... the skill points and extra level in armor may be nice, until I can get gith- or fey- crafted leafweave/ mithral..... and with Practiced Spellcaster, that would put all of my UM levels to advance Wiz.

Able Learner would let me keep up the skill-monkey thing until 5th-level-ish.  I do like Improved/Exalted familar... BoED deeds has a few mini skill monkeys....

@Sohala- I can't tell him anything. To him, arcanists blast. Period. He will blast every round however ineffectually, until he runs of out of blast, then pull out a stick and start beating the BBEG. This does not matter if he is a warmage, wizard, or sorcerer. He seems to object in principle to me not blasting. "Please quit casting haste every combat, and do more fireballs!"  (This of course got him pelted with cheeetos by melee fighters' players.)

Marshal 2/Factotum 4/Chameleon?...... hmmm. So 2 auras, trapfinding, some INT-based skill and combat boosts, 2 1st level arcane spells/day, the chameleon goodies. Stats INT/CHA/DEX/CON/STR/WIS??

@Solo- Is there a trapfinding ACF for bards somewhere? That would be nice..... Or a vestige that grants trapfinding? A quick and mildly intoxicated search didn't turn up either. Searing Spell. Ahhhh. He might go for that.

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 06:05:38 AM »
since you have to be human, ... non-racist SCM? or artificer can do pretty much anything....

then again I've always liked binders

Probably not allowed but thoughtsinger
into thrallherd could be fun...
[spoiler]http://www.bossythecow.com/TheThoughtsinger.pdf[/spoiler]
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 06:11:14 AM »
Is there a trapfinding ACF for bards somewhere? That would be nice..... Or a vestige that grants trapfinding? A quick and mildly intoxicated search didn't turn up either.
Yes, that would be nice.

I can't tell him anything. To him, arcanists blast. Period. He will blast every round however ineffectually, until he runs of out of blast, then pull out a stick and start beating the BBEG. This does not matter if he is a warmage, wizard, or sorcerer. He seems to object in principle to me not blasting. "Please quit casting haste every combat, and do more fireballs!"  (This of course got him pelted with cheeetos by melee fighters' players.)

Searing Spell. Ahhhh. He might go for that.

On second thought, don't help him.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 06:14:20 AM »
If you're desperate for trapfinding, you can get it with a feat. Planar Touchstone for Catalogues of Enlightenment gives you a single domain power. The Kobold domain grants trapfinding. Unless I'm mistaken, you don't have to meet the usual racial requirements for racial domains when nabbing the power with PT(CoE). Of course, since I don't have the book and am only working off of what other people talk about, I could easily be mistaken.

On a plus side, you can switch out what benefit you get from it for cheap (something like 250g and 10 xp to change your planar touchstone). If you pick up real trapfinding later, you can switch to something more useful even if your DM disallows retraining.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 06:27:14 AM »
ahh trapfinding... psychic rogue
[spoiler]http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b[/spoiler]
just needs that feat for mindlink ... Expanded Knowledge ... for ... y'know....

Iskajir

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 06:34:56 AM »
On second thought, don't help him.

Yeah. I try to think of it as helping the party, but I always wind up feeling like this guy-->  :banghead
Or this one  --->  :twitch

Planar Touchstone for Catalogues of Enlightenment gives you a single domain power. The Kobold domain grants trapfinding.

Require 8 ranks Know (planes). If I get it in class via Factotum Wizard or what not, I could take it as my Level 6 feat. In the meantime, I could goad the Warmage into taking point and hope for the best, or jump up and down and holler at Player 5 until she takes Trap killer..... but otherwise our trap-loving DM will chew us to pieces well before 6th level.

ahh trapfinding... psychic rogue

I haven't played psionics since 2nd edition. It looks very.... balanced.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 06:40:26 AM by Iskajir »

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 06:40:17 AM »
Require 8 ranks Know (planes). If I get it in class via Factotum or what not, I could take it as my Level 6 feat. In the meantime, I could goad the Warmage into taking point and hope for the best, or jump up and down and holler at Player 5 until she takes Trap killer..... but otherwise our trap-loving DM will chew us to pieces well before 6th level.

hrmmm ... Factotum gets trapfinding anyway at level 1, so you wouldn't need the feat in that case

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 06:53:03 AM »
Go Ninja 1/Druid 19 with able learner and disable traps :p
Or just be Druid 20 and use the summon elemental reserve feat to spring elementals everywhere :p
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Iskajir

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 07:02:00 AM »
Go Ninja 1/Druid 19 with able learner and disable traps :p

This would free me from needing that pesky "party" thing. More trouble than they are worth anyway.  :evillaugh

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 07:38:35 AM »
I'm thinking this part is basically tailored for a God Wizard.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 07:49:58 AM »
Player 4: Warmage going towards Elemental Savant, because why would you ever need anything but fire spells?  :banghead

You know, it's like the designers put both of them in the same splatbook just for the offchance someone might get the idea of combining the two together... :lol
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 08:52:35 AM »
I may try Beguiler 1/Domain Wiz 4/ UM 10/ etc..... or even Beguiler 2/Wiz 3/ UM 10/x5.... the skill points and extra level in armor may be nice, until I can get gith- or fey- crafted leafweave/ mithral..... and with Practiced Spellcaster, that would put all of my UM levels to advance Wiz.

Able Learner would let me keep up the skill-monkey thing until 5th-level-ish.  I do like Improved/Exalted familar... BoED deeds has a few mini skill monkeys....
You really want Wiz 5 for spontaneous divination.  It's 'nifty' for most Wizards to take, but given your particular character's needs I'd really call it more of a necessity.  As for the Transmutation Immediate Magic, I find it useful, and Obtain Familiar will get you a better familiar.  That said, you can probably just stick with the familiar you've got and do just as well, anyway.  So many of the best divinations are really niche, but absurdly useful when you want that particular spell, so you have a hard time justifying their preparation every day, but a harder time going without them if their moment to shine comes the one day you don't prepare them.

Also in the same vein, you're probably going to want to fill out the class with Unseen Seer.  At least 2 levels so you can grab Divine Insight, which is worth all the skill points a character gets, EVER, or as many as 5 levels (getting that last level at ECL 20) so you can grab Choose Destiny.  These are spells you want available spontaneously not because you don't know whether or not you'll cast them, but because you don't know how OFTEN you're going to cast them.