Author Topic: Spell and Gear selection for a mystic ranger.  (Read 2346 times)

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Spell and Gear selection for a mystic ranger.
« on: January 08, 2011, 06:24:26 PM »
Ok I have a mystic ranger character for a pbp game, and I need some help with gear and spell selection (I have the sword of the Arcane order feat), the character is a Silverbrow Human Rogue 1/Mystic Ranger 5 (and I plan on continuing with pure Mystic ranger)

I also have the 4th Shooting star substitution level, which means my CL won't be such a crap (right now it is a nice CL 5 at ECL 6).

So suggestions for both spells (up to level 2) and gear? I have 13 k to spend, and the only item I have set in stone is the Survival pouch (MIC).

Thanks in advance

Edit: I forgot, this is a melee two-weapon fighter, I have the rogue level to get both Sneak attack an Dragonfire strike, to help my Damage.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:38:47 PM by Dusk Eclipse »

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
Re: Spell and Gear selection for a mystic ranger.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 07:52:44 PM »
+1 seeking bow, spell book.

Split arrow (champions of ruin)

A few other decent ranger spells in that book too.

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 09:37:04 PM »
Perhaps I should have mentioned it; this character is intended as a TWF (hence the rogue level and the dragonfire strike feat... which in retrospective I should have mentioned in the OP); so while yes a +1 seeking bow might be a good option for a ranged character, it doesn't helps my current one.

Thanks, I might prepare split arrow if I get a bow; but I am not dedicated archer.

So any more suggestions?

zugschef

• Curious George
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 09:50:55 PM »
spell book
you should get this from the order. an empty spellbook won't do you no good, since you'll not be able to write any spells in it.

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 09:57:24 PM »
spell book
you should get this from the order. an empty spellbook won't do you no good, since you'll not be able to write any spells in it.

Really? why not.. I don't have the book handy at the moment, but IIRC it allowed you to scribe spells on the spellbook.

zugschef

• Curious George
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 10:04:28 PM »
Really? why not.. I don't have the book handy at the moment, but IIRC it allowed you to scribe spells on the spellbook.
no, you explicitly get the ability to cast spells from a spellbook, not to write spells down. you never get access to the sorcerer/wizard spell list, which is required to write down any spell.

but, as said, your order should provide you with a spellbook with appropriate spells in it. this can actually be an advantage, because you do not need to spend gold for your spellbook.

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 10:07:03 PM »
Well damn.... that means that I need to get a Wizard party-member or cohort, for him to scribe the spells on the spellbook and then lend it to me, so I can prepare them.

hmmm I'll ask the DM if he would let me scribe the spellbook as normal; with the exception that I don't get two spells per level up (so all my spells would come from scrolls).

Leaving the Spellbook issue aside, any more suggestions for gear/spells?

zugschef

• Curious George
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 10:25:35 PM »
Well damn.... that means that I need to get a Wizard party-member or cohort, for him to scribe the spells on the spellbook and then lend it to me, so I can prepare them.

hmmm I'll ask the DM if he would let me scribe the spellbook as normal; with the exception that I don't get two spells per level up (so all my spells would come from scrolls).

Leaving the Spellbook issue aside, any more suggestions for gear/spells?
you should just try to convince your gm that you have affiliations to an order or organization which provides you with a spellbook. the sword of the arcane order feat actually has this in its rules text (not only fluff text).

apart from that... try to get a hand of glory asap. it's the hell of an item. don't forget, you can still let it be enchanted with a constitution bonus. ok, it's probably not available at level 6 or 7.

for starters get a handy haversack and/or an efficient quiver (both srd). noone should travel without a magical container. a pearl of power 1st could make a lot of sense, too.

spells... dunno... grease, web, glitterdust and later evard's black tentacles. basically, crowd controll is really nice for archers. heroics is a nice spell btw (some would say it's broken).

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 10:55:32 PM »
Perhaps I should have mentioned it; this character is intended as a TWF (hence the rogue level and the dragonfire strike feat... which in retrospective I should have mentioned in the OP); so while yes a +1 seeking bow might be a good option for a ranged character, it doesn't helps my current one.

Thanks, I might prepare split arrow if I get a bow; but I am not dedicated archer.

So any more suggestions?

Get a bow? If you've got wizard spells, you might as well use them. That means when you're done tying up/blinding/raping the enemy with spells, you can plink them with your bow.

If you're set on the TWF schtick, I'm not sure what advice to give you. Iaijutsu focus, perhaps.