Author Topic: How much gold are consumables worth?  (Read 1693 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
How much gold are consumables worth?
« on: January 08, 2011, 08:51:09 AM »
Most consumables (scrolls, potions, wands, and staves) get a bad rap for being overpriced.  Level 1 spells at CL1 are usually considered worthwhile.

How much, then, are consumables generally worth?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Re: How much gold are consumables worth?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 12:14:12 PM »
That question is far too open ended to be answered.

CMW and CSW pots get a lot of crap for being only 2 or 3 times better than CLW but costing 6 or 15 times as much. And before you say Action Economy, barring something like getting a 100 stack of CSW pots at level 1, potions don't heal enough to be viable in combat. And since this isn't DDO and you aren't twinking your alt with 100k plat that doesn't happen.

There are a few > level 1 potions worth using, but they aren't very common, and most of the winners are things like Lesser Vigor, or Conviction, or Shield of Faith.

And then there are consumables that are not potions. Weapon capsules, alchemy items at low levels, stuff like that.

The biggest problem with consumables of the magical variety is that it uses a formula based pricing system when not all spells are created equal.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 01:34:33 PM »
Depends upon what they're used for.  Feather token: trees and chaos flasks are considered to be quite good at any level.  Scrolls of glibness are great at any level.

Potions get a bad rap because they cost more than wands or scrolls.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 02:08:56 PM »
Depends upon what they're used for.  Feather token: trees and chaos flasks are considered to be quite good at any level.  Scrolls of glibness are great at any level.

Potions get a bad rap because they cost more than wands or scrolls.

I had a lvl 4 gnome illusionist named Tyrion who ended up offending a level ten fighter's wife and being challenged to a fight.  He was trying to cast an invisible ray of nipple hardening while dancing at a noble's ball and rolled a 1 on his concentration check.  He didn't fall flat on his face but only by catching himself on a noblewoman's bust.  The only reason he survived was that he had fashioned a disk thrower (my DM thought the idea was hilarious) and shot a Feather Token: tree at him at rather high velocity when it transformed into a tree.

It's become known as Tyrion's Sudden Arbor-tration.
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 10:00:39 PM »
Psionic power stones are interesting in that as long as you spend your own pp, they're usable at your manifester level with up to full augmentation. Therefore, they're considerably better than potions.

If you don't use your own pp, they're basically psionic scrolls that are harder to damage.

So THOSE at least can be worthwhile.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Aliment

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Illithid Zombies
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 10:36:33 PM »
Really, the Cure series of potions should just be concentrated CLW.  So then you just pay for 2 potions and then some time concentrating the liquid (using Craft:Alchemy).

It would be interesting if this was applied to other potions, so that you could buy 3 potions and get the super buff potion:
+4 str, dex, and con = 3 lvl 2 potions

Might make mundanes better too, as they gain from the better action economy
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"