Author Topic: What is the point of medium and heavy armor?  (Read 110069 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: What is the point of medium and heavy armor?
« Reply #300 on: January 21, 2011, 10:48:42 PM »
EDIT:
Well, ffff, factotum'd by JaronK
Fix'd.

Thanks.  I hate playing Ninjas.

And hey!  No insulting gingers!  One of my girls is a ginger!

JaronK

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #301 on: January 21, 2011, 10:51:09 PM »
EDIT:
Fix'd.

JaronK
Special needs nephew it is!  :P

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #302 on: January 22, 2011, 03:24:46 AM »
Got no nephews.  Go nuts.

JaronK

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #303 on: January 22, 2011, 07:55:27 AM »
EDIT:
Fix'd.

JaronK

Is she legal yet?  :smirk

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #304 on: January 22, 2011, 07:58:12 AM »
Is she legal yet?  :smirk

I should hope so.  I didn't say daughter...   :D

JaronK

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #305 on: January 22, 2011, 10:21:36 AM »
Pics or didn't happen!

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #306 on: January 22, 2011, 03:50:30 PM »
I'm a ginger too! What's with the ginger hate!?  :shakefist Just because we've sold our souls to Pazuzu for awesome.

I agree on the point that increasing AC makes it harder for melee beatsticks, but then again, these changes wouldn't affect things that doesn't wear armour, like monsters.

When I said AC equal to BAB, I meant adding it to what it already gives.

And yes, you could get +30 something AC with a cloak, that might make the fighter actually hard enough to hit that the monsters would have troubles with it. It also makes ramping up your AC to the degree where it makes you useless to the others in the group quite meaningless.

But perhaps letting it scale with BAB a bit slower is a good idea. But perhaps just doing something to make it not as easy to bypass AC with spells would be a good idea.

If you insist on having the last word, at least try to make it one worth reading.  You're like a 10 year old thinking he rules the playground because he was able to spout nonsense longer than anyone else.
I was thinking 8-year-old ginger... or perhaps the real Sunic Flames lent his BG account to his special needs nephew or something.
Just ignore him, and stop feeding the troll. He is just a troll, and a bad one at that.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #307 on: January 22, 2011, 04:55:36 PM »
Herp derp derp herp derp herp?
Herp derp herp derp herp derp.

Fixed. Now stop fucking whining.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #308 on: January 22, 2011, 05:19:26 PM »
Pics or didn't happen!
It's unreasonable for the guy to have a girlfriend... but a daughter you can totally buy?  :lol
If you insist on having the last word, at least try to make it one worth reading.  You're like a 10 year old thinking he rules the playground because he was able to spout nonsense longer than anyone else.
I was thinking 8-year-old ginger... or perhaps the real Sunic Flames lent his BG account to his special needs nephew or something.
Just ignore him, and stop feeding the troll. He is just a troll, and a bad one at that.
I'm fully capable of mocking him and ignoring him at the same time.  It might even make him rage harder, which is potentially entertaining.

As for making it harder to bypass AC, I think that's where a Class-based Defense bonus can help also.  Have it apply to both touch and FF attacks and scale at a slightly slower rate than BAB (the best rates should probably be about 2/3 BAB, or maybe 1/2 BAB, and classes like Wizards should only get 1/4 or less).  The purpose there isn't to make every single attack miss, but more to making iterative attacks miss and allowing enemies to PA for less and maintain accuracy.  The various magical buffs all scale at roughly the same rate, and even the occasional ridiculous spell like Wraithstrike is made less effective by the Defense bonus applying to it.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #309 on: January 22, 2011, 05:52:37 PM »
I liked the concept of the class defense bonus a LOT but it was the execution where they failed.

It just makes good sense that a level 20 dude is harder to hit when naked than a level 1 dude when naked. The fact that fighters who were stripped of equipment have to rely on the combat expertise feat is just stupid (It's also stupid that it's a feat and not just freely available to full BAB classes)
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #310 on: January 22, 2011, 05:56:23 PM »
I'm fully capable of mocking him and ignoring him at the same time.  It might even make him rage harder, which is potentially entertaining.

I'm not sure "ignore" means what you think it means. If you're giving him attention of any kind, even just to flip him off, you're not ignoring him. Just don't acknowledge his existence. He doesn't actually expect anybody to stop responding to him.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #311 on: January 22, 2011, 06:29:42 PM »

I'm not sure "ignore" means what you think it means. If you're giving him attention of any kind, even just to flip him off, you're not ignoring him. Just don't acknowledge his existence. He doesn't actually expect anybody to stop responding to him.
well, you can ignore somebody and still talk about them.  I's even more of a rebuke to speak disapprovingly about someone in their presence while still not directly interacting with them.
I think we should take note of Dr. Karen Bierman's observations. :)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #312 on: January 22, 2011, 06:37:49 PM »
EDIT:
Fix'd.

JaronK
At least you don't hate me for what I'm doing to your name.

But then, you haven't read the whole story yet...
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #313 on: January 22, 2011, 07:56:26 PM »
Pics or didn't happen!

It's that I seem to recall that JaronK said "One of my girlS". Several girlfriends at the same time tend to not mix well. ;)

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #314 on: January 22, 2011, 08:03:01 PM »
He doesn't have girlfriends, he has bitches. JaronK's a pimp dontcha know.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #315 on: January 22, 2011, 08:13:24 PM »
Pics or didn't happen!

It's that I seem to recall that JaronK said "One of my girlS". Several girlfriends at the same time tend to not mix well. ;)

Polyamory.  But I think that's enough on the topic of my personal life.  Quick, look, Sunic's flaming again!  Get him guys!

JaronK

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #316 on: January 22, 2011, 08:15:11 PM »
He doesn't have girlfriends, he has bitches. JaronK's a pimp dontcha know.

Pictured: Upper right: JaronK
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 08:21:05 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #317 on: January 22, 2011, 10:05:19 PM »
Pics or didn't happen!

Polyamory.  But I think that's enough on the topic of my personal life.  Quick, look, Sunic's flaming again!  Get him guys!

JaronK
If we could summarize this post into a funny picture and submit it to Cheezburger network, it would go up on the front page under the title of "Distraction WIN!"

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #318 on: January 22, 2011, 10:55:01 PM »
Hey guys look, it's more dumbfucks whining and flailing at me like cracked windmills, instead of taking the not so subtle hint to SHUT THE FUCK UP and the flames will stop.

Also, Hi Welcome Jaron.

Sunic are you afraid of windmills?

Sunic, are you Don Quixote!?!?

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #319 on: January 22, 2011, 11:33:12 PM »
The fact that fighters who were stripped of equipment have to rely on the combat expertise feat is just stupid (It's also stupid that it's a feat and not just freely available to full BAB classes)
If you think about it, Expertise is just an improved fighting defensively, and thus makes sense as a feat.
If you think about it more you'll realize that fighting defensively sucks 9/10 times and should be improved.
So make fighting defensively work like Expertise
Make Expertise give a penalty to adjacent(with in reach?) enemies attacks, and a bonus to your AC vs nonadjacent enemies(WiR?).
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar