Author Topic: What is the point of medium and heavy armor?  (Read 110068 times)

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: What is the point of medium and heavy armor?
« Reply #240 on: January 20, 2011, 07:26:03 AM »
How about a 2 AC jump from light to medium, a 4 AC jump from medium to heavy, and the "Half the AC is DR instead" rule from UA?

This would make fullplate something to be reckoned with as it and a tower shield would give impressive protection, to the tune of 14 AC and 6 DR.

Math:
12 AC Fullplate becomes 6 AC fullplate with 6 DR
8 AC tower shield stays where it is.

BTW, this is only for fighters, as a "good stuff" for one of his dead levels.

zugschef

• Curious George
« Reply #241 on: January 20, 2011, 08:05:41 AM »
How about a 2 AC jump from light to medium, a 4 AC jump from medium to heavy, and the "Half the AC is DR instead" rule from UA?

This would make fullplate something to be reckoned with as it and a tower shield would give impressive protection, to the tune of 14 AC and 6 DR.

Math:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10638.msg363851#msg363851 ;-)

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #242 on: January 20, 2011, 09:07:57 AM »

Math:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10638.msg363851#msg363851 ;-)

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #243 on: January 20, 2011, 10:24:24 AM »
Okay, I read like the first two and last pages.
What adjustments do you have to make if you just plain make armor give DR equal to its armor bonus?

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #244 on: January 20, 2011, 10:29:40 AM »
Just make sure the casters don't get the same and you will be fine. (I use a BAB limit for it)

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #245 on: January 20, 2011, 12:26:10 PM »
What adjustments do you have to make if you just plain make armor give DR equal to its armor bonus?
eliminate power attack and two-handed weapons? 
ignore max dex restrictions?
neither one of those really make any sense, except in a metagame balancing standpoint (i.e., in relation to the mechanic change in question).

seriously ....
for each +1 of AC shifted to DR, each +1 of strength is gonna deliver +1.5 damage from a 2-handed weapon (for a net of +.5)
each +1 of AC shifted to DR is gonna allow an extra +1 to power attack, and at 2/1, your DR becomes worthless pretty quick.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #246 on: January 20, 2011, 12:44:41 PM »
neither one of those really make any sense, except in a metagame balancing standpoint (i.e., in relation to the mechanic change in question).

seriously ....
for each +1 of AC shifted to DR, each +1 of strength is gonna deliver +1.5 damage from a 2-handed weapon (for a net of +.5)
each +1 of AC shifted to DR is gonna allow an extra +1 to power attack, and at 2/1, your DR becomes worthless pretty quick.

He DID mention raising AC before performing the shift.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #247 on: January 20, 2011, 01:00:09 PM »

seriously ....

... Who is this 'he'?

I didn't mean change armor bonus to DR. I meant add DR to armor equal to armor bonus. So maybe you meant me. :P

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #248 on: January 20, 2011, 02:13:54 PM »

seriously ....

... Who is this 'he'?

I didn't mean change armor bonus to DR. I meant add DR to armor equal to armor bonus. So maybe you meant me. :P
oh, I see.

WOW! that's huge!
other issues aside, this would definitely completely change the entirety of the adamantine market.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #249 on: January 20, 2011, 02:22:56 PM »
To keep adamantine special, I would make it stack with the normal armor DR.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #250 on: January 20, 2011, 03:51:57 PM »

I would also triple the value it provides.

EDIT: At minimum.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #251 on: January 20, 2011, 04:13:17 PM »

And all you've done is made hitting enemies with a sword more worthless.

The wizard doesn't care what armour you are wearing, he will just zap you anyway. And monsters with spells will just use those on you anyway.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #252 on: January 20, 2011, 05:58:37 PM »

actually, I was thinking of going the other way -- have it stack, but cut the price down to just doubling the cost of the armor. (not sure how to adjust the price of other stuff like weapons. edge weapons are easy to reflavor, but bludgeoning weapons not so much)

not to mention Mixster's point about sticking it to martial types even more.
unless you say that special materials can bypass the base DR.  but then you've just dove head-first in to a rabbit whole from which there may be no return ...

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #253 on: January 20, 2011, 06:04:55 PM »
How about making adamantine better by it granting some sort of spell defense rather than DR. Maybe enemy only SR equal to 10+AC bonus.  :devil Though something scaling would be better.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #254 on: January 20, 2011, 06:48:14 PM »
Yea, adamantine is the first problem I thought of, barbarians the second. Probably would make it stack. Price adjust after playtesting.

Maybe normal armor should give DR / adamantine. That makes sense. Adamantine armor gives DR/- + normal adamantine bonus?

Magic enhancement should not give dr or give dr... I am not sure. It is tougher armor.

If blasting spells were the trouble I'd say have DR apply vs. many blasting spells, but I doubt blasting spells are the trouble. If they do get to be troublesome though, ...

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #255 on: January 20, 2011, 07:03:05 PM »
How about making adamantine better by it granting some sort of spell defense rather than DR.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #256 on: January 20, 2011, 08:21:54 PM »
To the several fail trolls: Hi Welcome

To the actual topic: I've already explained how to fix non light armors earlier here.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #257 on: January 20, 2011, 09:32:40 PM »
How about making adamantine better by it granting some sort of spell defense rather than DR. Maybe enemy only SR equal to 10+AC bonus.  :devil Though something scaling would be better.
How about leaving adamantine pretty tough against physical blows and giving this idea to armor made of cold iron?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #258 on: January 20, 2011, 11:13:09 PM »
To the several fail trolls: Hi Welcome

To the actual topic: I've already explained how to fix non light armors earlier here.
You're full of shit and your "fix" is crap.  Go back to the kiddy table and let the grown-ups come up with better ideas.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #259 on: January 20, 2011, 11:15:51 PM »
...Here we go again...
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]