Author Topic: What is the point of medium and heavy armor?  (Read 110085 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
What is the point of medium and heavy armor?
« on: January 07, 2011, 02:30:12 AM »
They're typically expensive, heavy, slowing, and impose a great armor check penalty.

I can get a chain shirt (4AC, 100G, 25lb), dastana (1AC, 25G, 5lb, Arms and Equipment Guide 15), and a chahar-aina (1AC, 75G, 10lb, Oriental Adventures 76) for far less than a suit of full plate (8AC, 1500G, 50lb).  There's only a 2 AC difference, but with the light armor set I'm ahead by 4ACP and 15lb.

I can also Tumble in light armor as any race.

I'm not seeing the point of other armors for most characters.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: What is the point of medium and heavy armor?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 02:43:56 AM »
Typically it sucks.

If you're a dwarf and don't have arcane spells or a significant dex bonus, picking up Thaalud stone armor is actually pretty OK (+12 AC).  There's a psi feat that turns that into a deflection bonus when psionically focused
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 02:51:27 AM »
Hmm. Not bad, even if it is vaguely situational and requires a mediocre prerequisite.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 02:55:03 AM »
Heavy Armor is for Paladins, who are so MAD by nature that it allows them to safely dump Dex without getting squished to death.

Medium armor only exists so that Barbarians can wear Mithril Full Plate.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:04:47 AM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 04:39:52 AM »
Heavy Armor is for Paladins, who are so MAD by nature that it allows them to safely dump Dex without getting squished to death.

Medium armor only exists so that Barbarians can wear Mithril Full Plate.
...or can get cheap, decent armor (read: scale) and still benefit from Fast Movement for the first few levels until Mithril Full Plate becomes affordable.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 04:43:30 AM »
Yeah. May bad on the "only". Should have said "mostly". ;)
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Iskajir

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 04:49:30 AM »
Githcrafted Mithral  +1 Breastplate of Twilight and Nimbleness and CL 20 Greater Magic Vestment? (admitted not really medium).... There must be similar tricks, though perhaps not worthwhile, to get the last -1 acp and 10% acf off of Githcrafted Mithral  +1 Full plate of Twilight and Nimbleness.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 05:28:11 AM »
Meh, it's an extra layer of defense when you don't have much in the way of splatbook access or significant spellcasting.  Not everyone can manage two or three ability scores to AC and at least a 30 in each, and even those that theoretically could run the risk of pissing off their DM.

+1 full plate doesn't look too bad on a feral mineral warrior type with 13,000 gp to spend and a DM that becomes irritable when he's required to look through a different book for every thing the character has or can do.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 05:30:29 AM by weenog »
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 05:34:19 AM »
The Chahar-aina and Dastanas mostly make full plate obsolete, since you can get a Chain Shirt plus both those for +6 AC.   If all three are mithral and the shirt is twilight, there's no armor check penalty or spell failure (and if you're not an arcane caster, you can get away with even cheaper).  Considering how much better your max dex bonus is, this makes heavy armor basically obsolete unless you either dumped dex or are at very low levels.  Heavy armor definitely needs some boosts to make it viable... I've used the house rule that medium armor gives DR/Adamantine equal to half its total AC bonus (including enchantments), while heavy armor gives that DR equal to the total AC bonus.  In both cases, making the armor out of adamantine makes the DR/- and increases it (by 2 or 3, respectively).  That seems to work, though I also make it so that DR never reduces damage below 1.  It also means mithral is no longer an automatic armor choice.

JaronK

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 06:22:42 AM »
Otherwise we couldn't make an Iron Man artificer unless we go with a Warforged.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 06:58:40 AM »

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 07:47:12 AM »
It's also useful if your group doesn't play with Arms and Equipment and Oriental adventures.

Also, I see no problem for a cleric running around in full plate, when your dex is bad, and you don't have tumble, why would you choose anything less than +8 ac?
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 07:50:18 AM »
The thing is that dastanas didn't exist when the PHB was first printed. The premise was simple - more AC at a cost. Heavy armour gave good protection without you having to invest heavily in dex (then a godsend for fighters and clerics).

But even then, you can tell armour wasn't well thought out. There wasn't any point to using any other type of armour other than chain-shirt, breastplate or fullplate. The rest were pretty much a waste of ink.  :p
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 07:53:03 AM »
But even then, you can tell armour wasn't well thought out. There wasn't any point to using any other type of armour other than chain-shirt, breastplate or fullplate. The rest were pretty much a waste of ink.  :p

Unless you are poor. Or a druid.

But yeah, the PHB somehow assumes you wont afford a full plate for a lot of levels.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 11:22:14 AM »
I use Leather armor a lot myself, and not because I play a lot of druids.  It's just cheap, doesn't hinder movement at all (at earlier levels), and gives +2 AC.  I usually upgrade, but at level 1-3, it's not a bad option.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 12:06:19 PM »
As said before, the movement penalty is probably what makes those armors looks less appealing. Before movement begins to be more of an issue (after low levels) they can be useful, but later on there's also better ways to get AC (namely, spells), and AC clearly is not the best thing to invest money in.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 12:30:49 PM »
The thing is that dastanas didn't exist when the PHB was first printed. The premise was simple - more AC at a cost. Heavy armour gave good protection without you having to invest heavily in dex (then a godsend for fighters and clerics).

Exactly.  I think it's that, and that they felt it was realistic (enough), and therefore, good.

In core only, there are surprisingly few viable armors.  Mithril makes breastplate obsolete, except for maybe Rangers who need to stay in light armor and want that +1 AC (even then, this has to be at a high enough level to warrant the extra 3,000 gp cost).  Once cost isn't such a factor, your three armors are mithril shirt, mithril breastplate, and mithril fullplate.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 01:27:49 PM »
They're typically expensive, heavy, slowing, and impose a great armor check penalty.

I can get a chain shirt (4AC, 100G, 25lb), dastana (1AC, 25G, 5lb, Arms and Equipment Guide 15), and a chahar-aina (1AC, 75G, 10lb, Oriental Adventures 76) for far less than a suit of full plate (8AC, 1500G, 50lb).  There's only a 2 AC difference, but with the light armor set I'm ahead by 4ACP and 15lb.

I can also Tumble in light armor as any race.

I'm not seeing the point of other armors for most characters.

This is.

Seriously. You're slowed, you can't Tumble, you get auto hit anyways and just to make it clear how badly you really fail at life, the light armor or no armor guy probably has more AC anyways. The base cost isn't a big deal, but those other factors are.

And sure you can do things like add an augment crystal so you can swim in full plate and grab a 2k or 3k item so heavy armor doesn't slow you and so forth, but then you're just paying to ungimp yourself.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 01:32:06 PM »
I happen to be a fan of mithril mechanus gear, combined with Savnok's Tooth, and Energize armor. It's not scary effective, but for two feats you add +11 deflection, on a psywar/gish/lockdown build it ain't bad. Not a lot of mobility loss, either. Can't say I've used much heavy armor otherwise, except on the odd low-level cleric here and there.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 01:54:08 PM »
There's a 4000 gc slotless item that removes the movement penalty, so now your only problem with heavier armour is that you cannot tumble. If you don't have tumble on your class skill list and don't cast arcane spells and don't have a huge dex, I don't see the probelm with paying around 5k gold for +4AC.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out