Author Topic: What makes Clerics uber?  (Read 23865 times)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Re: What makes Clerics uber?
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 06:41:33 PM »
Divine Power doesn't obsolete fighters, but it does go a long way towards doing so.

Actually, it does. It's the Cleric Archer phenomena - when something is so weak it can be casually and cheaply outdone by a real class.

After all, what do Fighters have that Clerics do not? 1 HP/level? Being a caster means crafting, which makes up for that. Full BAB? Divine Power. Feats? Would be meaningful if feats were good and didn't suffer from diminishing returns but since they aren't and they do, the standard level feats cover it. Also, you have spells, which are superior in every possible way, even after subtracting the ones required for CoDzillaing.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 06:45:48 PM »
Tell you what stat out a cleric that only uses Divine Power, and feats by level, and we can compare it to a fighter.
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 06:46:09 PM »
Divine Power doesn't obsolete fighters, but it does go a long way towards doing so.

Actually, it does. It's the Cleric Archer phenomena - when something is so weak it can be casually and cheaply outdone by a real class.

After all, what do Fighters have that Clerics do not? 1 HP/level? Being a caster means crafting, which makes up for that. Full BAB? Divine Power. Feats? Would be meaningful if feats were good and didn't suffer from diminishing returns but since they aren't and they do, the standard level feats cover it. Also, you have spells, which are superior in every possible way, even after subtracting the ones required for CoDzillaing.

And then there are the spells that PROVIDE feats. And once you get to the high levels, you get the EtDC feat swap trick.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 06:56:37 PM »

Actually, Divine Power also gives 1 hp/level. They're temporary hit points and thus can't be healed back, but it's there. Insult to injury.

lans: Define "only uses Divine Power". Uses Divine Power as his only combat buff? Uses DP as his only spell, period? Uses DP as his only spell and other modifier to stats (to the exclusion of stuff like Knowledge Devotion or a magic weapon), period?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 06:58:34 PM »
Cleric power is really in the aggregate. Sure, they don't have many one-shot-kill spells or other jaw-dropping effects. What they do have, however, is a very solid array of buff and utility effects that stack, along with access to a handful of game-winners (the words, miracle). As has been stated, their base chassis is also very strong, especially at the low levels. A level 4 Cleric is 4 hp and 1 point of BAB behind the fighter, which he makes up for with spells like aid, bless, divine favor. Meanwhile, he's got the same (or better) defenses, and still has utility and combat spells like divine insight and hold person.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 07:21:17 PM »

And then there are the spells that PROVIDE feats. And once you get to the high levels, you get the EtDC feat swap trick.

Well, yeah. Just to really make it clear they fail.

And don't forget:

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 07:28:01 PM »
Tell you what stat out a cleric that only uses Divine Power, and feats by level, and we can compare it to a fighter.
Alright.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 07:33:19 PM »
Alright.

Nightstick is 7,500. You have enough to cover it still, just that you have 92 gold left instead of 3,592.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 07:41:21 PM »
lans: Define "only uses Divine Power". Uses Divine Power as his only combat buff? Uses DP as his only spell, period? Uses DP as his only spell and other modifier to stats (to the exclusion of stuff like Knowledge Devotion or a magic weapon), period?
The claim was that it obsoletes the fighter, so just that spell. I don't have any illusions about a cleric not being better over all, or not being able to obsolete the fighter with Divine Power+other buffs.

Alright.

Your damage seems to be too high, 9 from strength and 1 enhancement.
Full Plate should be 9 AC

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 07:49:45 PM »
That should be 2 enhancement, he has Greater Magic Weapon/Magic Vestment.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2011, 08:05:06 PM »
except he doesn't get those, and it it would still be 1 too high, and his attack would be too low.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2011, 08:08:41 PM »
The claim was that it obsoletes the fighter, so just that spell. I don't have any illusions about a cleric not being better over all, or not being able to obsolete the fighter with Divine Power+other buffs.
Alright, I'll try. Let's give them a 32 point buy. Let's say the Cleric goes for a 16/10/14/10/16/10 spread, while the Fighter gets himself a 18/12/16/8/10/8 spread. Sound reasonable? I'll put both at level 7, the lowest level at which the Cleric has access to Divine Power without trickery, and disregard prestige classes. Each will put his level 4 bonus into their primary stat (This doesn't matter much, as it's only a +1). Both shall be humans, and I'll only outfit them with a +1 weapon and +1 armor each - specifically, each gets a reach weapon he's proficient with and +1 Full Plate with armor spikes.

Cleric 7
Str 16 [22], Dex 10, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 10
Feats:
Extend Spell (H)
Persistent Spell (1)
Divine Metamagic (3)
Extra Turning (6)

With Divine Power online, the Cleric has the following stats, assuming average hit points:
49 hp +7 THP (total 56)
AC 19
BAB +7/+2
Full Attack routine: +14/+9 +1 Longspear; Damage 1d8+10
Saves +7/+2/+8

Fighter 7
Str 19, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 8
Feats:
Any eight, four of which must be [Fighter] feats. Power Attack can be safely assumed, I think.

Again assuming average hit points, the Fighter has the following stats:
64 hp
AC 20
BAB +7/+2
Full Attack routine: +12/+7 +1 Glaive; Damage 1d10+7

Not exactly equal, but I'd say they're close enough that they can said to be nearly so. The Fighter can pick his feats and has the opportunity to Power Attack, as well as sligthly better AC and Hit Points, but the Cleric definitely has him beat on the offense (consider also that a lower attack bonus means you can power attack for that much less without compromising your ability to hit). So considering that the Cleric gets this base plus domains (which may give him bonus feats, a better weapon, or other awesome abilities), and spells, I would indeed say that a Cleric using Divine Power can safely replace a Fighter (and thus obsolete him).
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2011, 08:20:39 PM »
There's a quote somewhere that every time a Wizard casts a Cleric spell, he's the sucker for that round since the Cleric has better Hit dice, BAB and saves as well as no arcane spell failure.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 08:22:17 PM »

Elf Cloistered Cleric 20

Domains: Elf, Time
ACF: spontaneous domain (time)

Feats:
1-point blank shot (elf domain), improved initative (time domain), knowledge devotion (swapped knowledge domain for it), precise shot
3-rapid shot
6-quicken spell
9-DMM: quicken spell
12-does
15-not
18-manner

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 08:23:48 PM »
There's a quote somewhere that every time a Wizard casts a Cleric spell, he's the sucker for that round since the Cleric has better Hit dice, BAB and saves as well as no arcane spell failure.
That would be K's Necromancer Handbook, explaining why Wizards shouldn't be 'undead horde' necromancers.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 08:39:20 PM »
The one time it's not true is the one time the Wizard casts Break Enchantment on the "I-rolled-a-1-on-my-fort-save-so-now-I'm-a-garden-statue" Cleric.
But most of the time, it is.

Clerics make Fighters obsolete?
Yes.
Divine Power alone?
Maybe, maybe not.
Normal Cleric buffs for 24 hours?
Most definitely, there is an obsolete fighter sulking about right about now.

Unless it's a Dungeoncrasher or Zentarim Fearmonger. They can still feel useful from time to time.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2011, 09:02:36 PM »

Elf Cloistered Cleric 20

Domains: Elf, Time
ACF: spontaneous domain (time)

Feats:
1-point blank shot (elf domain), improved initative (time domain), knowledge devotion (swapped knowledge domain for it), precise shot
3-rapid shot
6-quicken spell
9-DMM: quicken spell
12-does
15-not
18-manner
Thug Fighter
1 Education
2Point Blank Shot
3 Knowledge Devotion
4Precise shot
6 Rapid Shot, Improved Initiative
8 Weapon Focus
10 Weapon Specialization
12 Ranged Weapon Mastery, Greater Weapon Focus
14 Greater Weapon Specialization
15 Many Shot
18 Greater Rapid Shot, Weapon Supremancy
20 I ran out of feats.

This has +6 to hit, +3 to damage over your cleric.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2011, 09:06:02 PM »
Are you taking Zen Archery or other feats and spells into account when making that statement?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2011, 09:09:19 PM »
Are you taking Zen Archery or other feats and spells into account when making that statement?
"using only Divine Power" was his limitation.

Of course, I don't believe he's taking Knowledge Devotion into account.

Heck, for an archer if one additional buff were allowed, I'd say use Divine Grace for +10 Dex.  Would it help for Zen Archery?  No, but it's funny as hell when the Cleric with one spell is extremely close to being as good as a Fighter that spent his entire build on something.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.