Author Topic: Shadowcaster  (Read 2605 times)

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Shadowcaster
« on: January 03, 2011, 06:27:53 PM »
I have been going through the shadowcaster for a while trying to figure out some way to optimise it when I noticed this:

"Even though as a shadowcaster you do not "cast spells" in the traditional sense, your levels in this class count for the purpose of determining your overall caster level"

Now this strikes me as an odd bit of text, does it imply that you add your shadowcaster level to other caster levels you have?

Anyway that out of the way, Shadowcaster 3/Wizard 3/Nocumancer 10/Mystic Theurge 4 for dual level 9s seems like the best way to build one. Possibly with early entry tricks of course.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
Re: Shadowcaster
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 06:38:43 PM »
i dont know nocumancer or shadowcaster, but i do know that wiz 1 precocious is normal for early entry to MT. saves two levels
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 06:42:58 PM »
yea, obviously. Wizard 1/Shadowcaster 3/Nocumancer 10/Mystic Theurge 6 gets 19th level shadowcasting and 17th level wizard casting and is obviously not to be trifled wit. The sad thing is that it seems this is about the only way to build a shadowcaster and still be sort of optimised.

Chilastra022

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 09:42:54 PM »
"Wizard 1 / Shadowcaster 3 / Noctumancer 10 / Mystic theurge 6"

And how are you qualifying for the lvl 2 divine spell requirement for MT with this setup?  Either way, assuming you 'did' qualify for it, it'd end up with  17th level wizard with a CL of 20, and 13th level shadow magic. Assuming you did qualify for MT somehow, shadowcaster isnt a divine spell caster, and so wouldnt qualify for MT's bonus divine caster levels. But the MT isnt legal anyway unless you pulled off some shenanigans with feats. Even with ASP or SM youd need a level in a divine spell casting class, which none are listed above.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 09:50:29 PM »
"Wizard 1 / Shadowcaster 3 / Noctumancer 10 / Mystic theurge 6"

And how are you qualifying for the lvl 2 divine spell requirement for MT with this setup?  Either way, assuming you 'did' qualify for it, it'd end up with  17th level wizard with a CL of 20, and 13th level shadow magic. Assuming you did qualify for MT somehow, shadowcaster isnt a divine spell caster, and so wouldnt qualify for MT's bonus divine caster levels. But the MT isnt legal anyway unless you pulled off some shenanigans with feats. Even with ASP or SM youd need a level in a divine spell casting class, which none are listed above.
Wrong.  Shadowcaster can qualify for Mystic Theruge, despite being niether Arcane nor Divine casters (as noted on Tome of Magic, page 117).  There is no limiation on being the "arcane" side either.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

gorfnad

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 02:27:03 AM »
Here's some shadowcaster stuff listed here: Shadow Magic. Sadly this handbook remains unfinished.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 02:45:57 PM »
still no thoughts on:

Even though as a shadowcaster you do not "cast spells" in the traditional sense, your levels in this class count for the purpose of determining your overall caster level

Besides that all evidence points to wizard/shadowcaster/nocumancer/mystic theurge builds being the only semi optimal way to build a shadowcaster.