Author Topic: Shapeshift Druid Barbarian  (Read 8381 times)

Kyprioth

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Shapeshift Druid Barbarian
« on: January 03, 2011, 04:29:08 AM »
I'm hoping for a RHoD game (Tier 3/4 blah blah, rules here if you wanna look --> http://urda-wagon.wikidot.com/red-hand-of-doom )to build something along the lines of Shapeshift Druid 1/Barbarian 4/Warshaper x (I've already gotten approved that shapeshift druid would work with warshaper) however, while I think it'll be good at killing things (arguable, sure, w/e), it lacks the ability to be good at anything else. In fact, if we end up fighting flying or otherwise hard to get to creatures, I'd end up nearly out of the fight. (Jumping, as good as it might be normally, it probably wouldn't be enough)
I also lack a good healing ability, which while I don't really want to spend levels of druid into (mostly because its a lot of a tier 1 class, partly because who doesn't love barbarians) I would be willing to go up to shapeshift druid 4 before taking a dip of barbarian, but no further as that would delay warshaper. Game starts at lvl 6.

So basically I'm looking for some help to make me slightly better at healing (myself most of all seeing that I'll be taking a load of damage, though I wouldn't mind healing others) and possibly some ways to handle flying.

Tried to be as to the point as possible.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Shapeshift Druid Barbarian
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 05:12:49 AM »
Ask your DM to use the Nature's Warrior PrC from Complete Warrior, using your shapeshifting ability to qualify instead of Wild Shape.  Further, consider Druid 3/Barbarian 2 instead of Druid 1/Barbarian 4.  Pretty much the same BAB, slightly less HP, you do lose 1 Rage per day, but gain an extra level of spells (3rd-level spells with Nature's Warrior).  You also get Ferocious Slayer form, which is quite powerful combined with Lion Totem Barbarian's pounce and the ridiculous Strength-stacking you're obviously going for here.

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 11:14:09 AM »
Against flying opponents, shoot arrows. That's what tier 3-4 do.
You can use Blood Frenzy spell (SpC) to get extra rages.
Healing: wand of vigor, lesser.
Considering that LA buyback is allowed, you should search for a good LA+1 race or template.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 01:44:32 PM »
Feral and half minotaur both give bonuses to wisdom as I recall.  Always been tempted to play a really strong but wise guy.  However, this may not fit into tier 3.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 03:53:08 PM »
So basically I'm looking for some help to make me slightly better at healing (myself most of all seeing that I'll be taking a load of damage, though I wouldn't mind healing others) and possibly some ways to handle flying.
In-combat healing really isn't worth it, and you can't cast healing spells while raging or shapeshifting anyway. Your best bet there is crusader levels, since healing maneuvers aren't hindered by either.

For out of combat healing, some wands of cure or vigor will cover it.

You might find this interesting. Also take a look at the Champion of Gwynharwyf PrC in Book of Exalted Deeds.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 03:56:11 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Kyprioth

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 07:32:03 PM »
You also get Ferocious Slayer form, which is quite powerful combined with Lion Totem Barbarian's pounce and the ridiculous Strength-stacking you're obviously going for here.

You don't get ferocious slayer form until level 8, and warshaper will give me the same things sooner and better.

Edit: Hmmm... Unless you know something I don't...

In-combat healing really isn't worth it, and you can't cast healing spells while raging or shapeshifting anyway. Your best bet there is crusader levels, since healing maneuvers aren't hindered by either.

For out of combat healing, some wands of cure or vigor will cover it.

You might find this interesting. Also take a look at the Champion of Gwynharwyf PrC in Book of Exalted Deeds.

I would never go out of my way to heal others in battle unless it was also quite good healing for me :P. I was thinking more of a passive healing for myself.

Wands I was considering too, as well as other magic items for out of combat healing. I'm not sure if that variant would work with shapeshifter, as shapeshifter also takes away your animal companion. Hmmm.... Though I'll take a look and/or think about the rest, and continue looking in the mean time.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 07:38:10 PM by Kyprioth »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 08:34:14 PM »
I would never go out of my way to heal others in battle unless it was also quite good healing for me :P. I was thinking more of a passive healing for myself.
Crusader works for that.
I'd say Barbarian 1/Druid 1/Crusader 3/Warshaper 4/Crusader +X with the Extra Rage feat.
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 08:37:12 PM »
why not Shapeshift Druidic Avenger

:D

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 08:39:45 PM »
why not Shapeshift Druidic Avenger

:D
I already suggested that, and it requires houserules since both variants trade away your animal companion.
My work

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 09:16:04 PM »
If all you want from Barbarian is pounce, there are better ways of getting it.

Shapeshift Druid 8 / Warshaper 4 -> Large size, big STR, decent spellcasting, fast healing, flight when needed, etc.

We all know Natural Spell won't work, but see if your DM will let Surrogate Spellcasting work.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 09:20:55 PM »
We all know Natural Spell won't work, but see if your DM will let Surrogate Spellcasting work.

He most likely won't.  Guy wants tier 3-4 characters, even taking 8 levels of druid is pushing it.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 09:33:33 PM »
Hmm...  Good point.  Since there is a Wild Shape Ranger, why not push the DM for a Shapeshift Ranger variant?

Starting at level 6 go with Barbarian 1 / Ranger 3 / Warshaper 2

Take Animal Devotion so you can fly once per day if you really, really need to.

Eventually the build could look like:

Ranger 5 (for unlimited flight) / Barbarian X / Warshaper 4 (for unlimited out of combat healing) / Fist of the Forest 1

Consider Unarmed Swordsage 2 for some versatility and whatnot.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 07:42:46 AM »

He most likely won't.  Guy wants tier 3-4 characters, even taking 8 levels of druid is pushing it.
Shapeshift Druid is Tier 2, at best.  Drop 4 caster levels to Warshaper, which is the last thing keeping your Druid above Tier 2 at all, and you're a strong, versatile Tier 3.

Also consider that I did stat out 8th level for shapeshifting.  Nature's Warrior advances Wild Shape, so if you convert that for the Shapeshift variant then 3 + 5 = 8.  You also get aerial forms with free Flyby Attack and a solid 70' move speed (fully stacking with Haste, if memory serves), which should nicely handle any problems you're having with airborne opponents.

Finally, Warshaper can be a *lot* better than just about anything/everything depending on what limitations, if any, you're putting on Morphic Weapons.  The thing is, Nature's Warrior is only 5 levels long, and there's no real need to take it all at once.  Feel free to mix in bits of Warshaper as desired.  Even if you pick up every last level offered by both PrCs, you're still just level 15.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 08:38:46 AM »
The game is supposedly only meant to last till level 10, maybe as far as 12, and we're starting with 15,000 XP (ECL 6 threshold), less any given up to LA reduction.  8 levels of druid before dropping any caster levels is going to be pretty substantial, even if he would wind up significantly weakened by hypothetical level 20.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 08:05:33 PM »
Druid 3/Barbarian 2/Warshaper 1/Nature's Warrior 2/Warshaper +3 gets you avian form at ECL 8.  Until then, use readied actions to initiate grapple attacks, or a bow, and like has already been mentioned you've got

If you can convince your DM to allow a Shapeshift Druidic Avenger, then Druid 6/Warshaper 4 is the way to go.  If he doesn't like that idea, then maybe suggest giving up half your spellcasting.  It's basically the exact same build as the one above, but looks a whole lot nicer on a character sheet.

Cephid Arcanis

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 11:07:48 PM »
Ok, here is a fun one without any tier 2 druid:

Shifter (race)
Barb 4 (rage 2/day)
Fighter 2 (feats)
Weretouched master 5 (+1 claw size, Shifting:+16 str, +8 con)
Frenzied besearker 1
Bear Warrior 5 (rage and shifting each get +16 str)
Warshaper 3 (+4 str, +5'reach, +1 claw size)

Feats: Improved natural attack, extra rage (x2?)
Item: enlarge, +6 str, +5 tome

Str: 86 (+38 to hit)  :lmao
15' reach (30' with grusarm, and imagine the trip modifier)

Claw damage: 3d6+43 + improved grab. Grapple modifier:73 with a few items.

+1, brutal surge, Grusarm: 3d4+58 (bull rush them into orbit!)

I know you only wanted a 12 level build, but I couldn't decide which levels should come first.
"It is the mark of a practiced mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it"

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 11:21:09 PM »
Consult errata before getting the newb's hopes up, Cephid Arcanis.  Weretouched master doesn't do anything like that anymore.

Also if anyone in this party is a non-friendly frenzied berserker build, their corpse and equipment will never be found, and I'll be a bit wealthier for no reason I can explain.

Cephid Arcanis

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 11:59:02 PM »
What does weretouched master do now then?
If it bombs out, then drop it:

ECL 12:
Goliath
barb 1 (mountain rage: large size)
fighter 4
Cleric 1 Domains: Wrath (rhino rush spell),
Bear worrior 5
frenzied besearker 1

strength = 18base+4race+3levels+4item+16rage+16frenzy
STR: 61 (3 fights a day)

Feats: 5+3
Cleave, Power Attack, Extra rage, intimidating rage, destructive rage, Bull rush, Shock trooper, Improved trip
Charge: +38 to hit (11+25+2)
Damage: [3d4+37+22(power attack)+1] x2 = 135 average

Round 1: Swift: cast Rhino rush,
Charge opponent: hit for 135,
Brutal surge: direct them into another enemy, trip both, extra hit at each.

RESULT: 2 prone, within your reach, one taken 202 damage, the other 67.5.

Does this sound more like it?

Later Warshaper: 30' reach, +4 str/con
"It is the mark of a practiced mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it"

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 12:03:56 AM »
Not sure I trust those numbers, but more importantly where's the part where he doesn't become a liability every time he stubs his toe?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 12:10:04 AM »
Not sure I trust those numbers, but more importantly where's the part where he doesn't become a liability every time he stubs his toe?
He's only an FB 1, so he's only a liability the first time he stubs his toe each day.